WWYD if the pill thieves were YOUR kids?? Poll

If your kid committed a felony at the ages of 10-13. What would you do?

Try to teach them with love
17%
Call the cops myself within reason (plz explain)
6%
Nothing
No votes
Call the cops and let it play out
33%
Other (answered in comments)
44%

Total votes: 48
anon6

Unread post

All 3 of my siblings stole prescription drugs from my parents at one point or another. They never called the cops but never trusted them again and keep their drugs and anything else of value locked away when they are around. They let their guard down last year, sister came over while I was visiting from out of state, stole half a bottle of ambien. She's 40. Take from that what you will.
Kikibix
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I can’t imagine this scenario in my household. I can’t even imagine anyone taking prescribed meds of this sort considering it’s common knowledge how addictive some are and how many problems have come of it. These types of drugs should always have been locked up. Nobody but the user and their spouse should be aware of them and certainly the kids don’t need an example of pill popping.

If this were to happen, I’d look at all the circumstances surrounding why and how it happened. I can’t answer without knowing full family dynamics. I just can’t see it.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Zoegirlsmom wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 pm I would not call the police on my children at that age. I don't think I would handle it with love, but it would be handled in house.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

[/quote]

Yeah. Like I said in my original post, I think I wouldn't have allowed it to get to the point where they were stealing drugs in the first place. That's crazy to me. I have kids that age. They don't just wake up one day and start stealing pills- there had to have been inappropriate behaviors going on for a long time before that and the parent didn't address things then.

That is so far removed from what our life is like, it's hard for me to imagine being in that situation. We have six kids ranging from 9-18 and none of them have ever been in trouble because we raised them better than that from birth.
[/quote]

Well said.

Unread post

Momo3Queen2HerKing wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 pm
mrsmacgiver wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:32 pm I can't even imagine. I'd like to say I wouldn't have allowed it to get that point in the first place. But, that's not my life so it's easy to say.

I'd be weary of calling the cops. I don't fully trust police, nor our justice system, and I wouldn't want my kids to have a record. But I also can't say I wouldn't turn them in.

I vote for love. Tough love- just maybe not tough love that involves calling the cops on a 10 year old.
That's F***ing pathetic.

You do realize parents like you who think LOVE can teach them not to be criminals, are the reason our jails etc are so full of young people who weren't taught real lessons for their criminal behaviors as children. They are also the ones who can't figure out WHY they are sitting in jail.

It's bc mommy and daddy don't want to show their kids how life really F***ing works.

However, that's just my OPINION.
You sound very ignorant.

My brother committed a felony at 12. My parents handled it at home with love. My brother is now nearly 60 years old and never committed another crime

We all know that you have a fucked up life, in a fucked up place, around fucked up people. The rest of the world isnt like that
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'd call the cops and get a firm handle on this whole they're underage. Rehab WILL be happening, then regular drug testing for as long as they live under my roof.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Momo3Queen2HerKing
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:10 pm I don't believe your story. I suspect if pills are missing it's one of the adults in the house doing it. To answer your question my kids wouldn't do that because they were raised right from birth and I'm smart enough to lock up medications.
You realize that I said in my post that the only reason anyone knew it was them was bc the girl confessed to it w/o provocation.

Nobody would've EVER EVER EVER suspected HER of doing it. My dad was questioning if her brother did bc the two times it happened, were the only times he's ever stayed overnight there. But still nobody honestly believed he did it was what I thought just an odd coincidence.

I personally think dad had a hand in it but both kids have admitted to it as of now. After this post and others wondering if the boy was arrested, I called my sister and found out that he was arrested and released to his mother. He confessed to doing it but neither of them will say WHY they did it.

I totally get that nobody wants to believe such young children are going thru this at their ages. However, unfortunately this is true as far as what I'm being told. Dh and I took the girl with us and our 2 DS's to the amusement park the week before it happened. We were upset to find out she of all people would do that bc she knows how badly disabled my dad is.
If life has you down, make a change in your life. As life is too short to be unhappy even for a minute!
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Bob wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 pm
Momo3Queen2HerKing wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 pm
mrsmacgiver wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:32 pm I can't even imagine. I'd like to say I wouldn't have allowed it to get that point in the first place. But, that's not my life so it's easy to say.

I'd be weary of calling the cops. I don't fully trust police, nor our justice system, and I wouldn't want my kids to have a record. But I also can't say I wouldn't turn them in.

I vote for love. Tough love- just maybe not tough love that involves calling the cops on a 10 year old.
That's F***ing pathetic.

You do realize parents like you who think LOVE can teach them not to be criminals, are the reason our jails etc are so full of young people who weren't taught real lessons for their criminal behaviors as children. They are also the ones who can't figure out WHY they are sitting in jail.

It's bc mommy and daddy don't want to show their kids how life really F***ing works.

However, that's just my OPINION.

Calling the cops and having them jailed teaches them how to be better criminals. Stop being an idiot who believes jails are safe havens.
There is a lot of evidence to support your answer. Many children who end up in juvie fall into the prison pipeline. Restorative Justice is a much better way to handle this. Those kids need to pay for their actions. They can do it in many ways that don't involve juvie or a record. Also, education would be huge in handling this one. Those kids are very young. I'd wonder why they are stealing the pills. Seems someone else is involved in all of this.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm
Yeah. Like I said in my original post, I think I wouldn't have allowed it to get to the point where they were stealing drugs in the first place. That's crazy to me. I have kids that age. They don't just wake up one day and start stealing pills- there had to have been inappropriate behaviors going on for a long time before that and the parent didn't address things then.

That is so far removed from what our life is like, it's hard for me to imagine being in that situation. We have six kids ranging from 9-18 and none of them have ever been in trouble because we raised them better than that from birth.
[/quote]

Well said.
[/quote]

I think at that age when it started they probably had no idea the ramifications. Even now they probably didn't. I know my kiddo had no idea when she started public school that she couldn't carry her medication. Her private school allowed for it. Luckily I sat her down and prepared her for public school. As well as the fact that she can't share prescription meds or anything else. Personally, I think in this situation a parent is involved. Maybe the boy's mom. He may have enlisted the help of his sister. She might be protecting him and he might be protecting mom.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Before I comment, I want to make sure I read your other post correctly.

In that post, did you say that at the time these pills were stolen, the child thieves were living in the same house as their meth smoking father and their (clean) stepmom?
Locked Previous topicNext topic