Could you marry a guy your family didn’t like?

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I did. It took a decade or so for them to sort of come around.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

I could
Emmasmom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:29 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:24 pm Well he sounds like a deadbeat so far? What redeeming qualities does he have? Does he have a job? Can he support himself or is he leeching off you? Is he a good father figure or does he have 4 other baby momma's he doesn't pay child support to? Is his only redeeming quality that he tells you you're pretty and you've got low self esteem so you fall for his shit? Is he financially responsible or is he always begging for money and doing side hustles?
He has an honest, hardworking job but he doesn’t earn much money. He is a good father and does not have children with anyone else so he is not tied up in child support.
How can he be hardworking when you said he's unmotivated?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm Their reasons being he is unsuccessful, unmotivated, did not go to college, and they think he is a deadbeat.

Eta: your family is very uppity and looks down on anyone who works a small time job and is not making a lot of money. They have those same standards for you.
Can't relate. My husband came from a more "uppity" family than I did. In my family, my sister and I were the first generation to get a college degree. If my family looked down on a guy for the qualities you gave, especially my mom, she would've been entirely hypocritical.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Emmasmom wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:29 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:24 pm Well he sounds like a deadbeat so far? What redeeming qualities does he have? Does he have a job? Can he support himself or is he leeching off you? Is he a good father figure or does he have 4 other baby momma's he doesn't pay child support to? Is his only redeeming quality that he tells you you're pretty and you've got low self esteem so you fall for his shit? Is he financially responsible or is he always begging for money and doing side hustles?
He has an honest, hardworking job but he doesn’t earn much money. He is a good father and does not have children with anyone else so he is not tied up in child support.
How can he be hardworking when you said he's unmotivated?
I never said he’s unmotivated. That’s my family’s perception.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm Their reasons being he is unsuccessful, unmotivated, did not go to college, and they think he is a deadbeat.

Eta: your family is very uppity and looks down on anyone who works a small time job and is not making a lot of money. They have those same standards for you.
Can't relate. My husband came from a more "uppity" family than I did. In my family, my sister and I were the first generation to get a college degree. If my family looked down on a guy for the qualities you gave, especially my mom, she would've been entirely hypocritical.
I grew up in one of the wealthiest counties in the country, so that gives you an idea of my folks lol. It was a requirement that all of us kids go to college and a top one at that.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If he’s working and is self sufficient, yes i would,
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:52 pm

I grew up in one of the wealthiest counties in the country, so that gives you an idea of my folks lol. It was a requirement that all of us kids go to college and a top one at that.

Is his work steady or seasonal? If it's not steady, what is he doing in his downtime?
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I agree with your family, the people that love us see more than we do when we are in a relationship. The saying "love is blind" rings true a lot
But I was raised in a uppity well to do family, so I'm biased on this subject
Anonymous 9

Unread post

It sounds like he's the one who should be questioning his choice of a spouse. I doubt your family has made him feel comfortable.
Locked Previous topicNext topic