Tin foil hat doomsday "preppers"...

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
AngelicUnicorn
Countess
Countess

I live out in the middle of nowhere, so no worries either way for me. The zombies will all die before they reach me.
Progress, not perfection.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

AnnieArk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:02 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:51 pm OMG, no. I still don’t see what the panic is about. I understand it’s an inconvenient bug in the sense that it very contagious and it transmits before symptoms appear, so it can happen that some workplaces will end up wing quarantined for 2-3 weeks and that sucks for the economy. But it’s not really a seriously nasty bug. The vast majority of people recover with no problem. The mortality rate seems to be 2%, and that includes the elderly, newborns and people with health conditions. So I’m really not about to barricade myself over it. Seriously, the flu is worst and we dismiss it as “just the flu”, so why are we getting all hysterical about this one?

The mortality rate is considerably higher for the elderly. Why are they getting all "hysterical"? Maybe because it's a new virus that originated in a dictatorship that isn't known for sharing information.

I would much rather the governments of the world exercise too much caution instead of underestimating how bad it could be. No one wants a repeat of the Spanish Influenza.
I was at my dad's last night and we started talking about that and were reviewing the statistics. We're so much more mobile now than back in 1918, so I shudder to think of what something that virulent would do today.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Deleted User 638

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:55 am
AnnieArk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:02 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:51 pm OMG, no. I still don’t see what the panic is about. I understand it’s an inconvenient bug in the sense that it very contagious and it transmits before symptoms appear, so it can happen that some workplaces will end up wing quarantined for 2-3 weeks and that sucks for the economy. But it’s not really a seriously nasty bug. The vast majority of people recover with no problem. The mortality rate seems to be 2%, and that includes the elderly, newborns and people with health conditions. So I’m really not about to barricade myself over it. Seriously, the flu is worst and we dismiss it as “just the flu”, so why are we getting all hysterical about this one?

The mortality rate is considerably higher for the elderly. Why are they getting all "hysterical"? Maybe because it's a new virus that originated in a dictatorship that isn't known for sharing information.

I would much rather the governments of the world exercise too much caution instead of underestimating how bad it could be. No one wants a repeat of the Spanish Influenza.
I was at my dad's last night and we started talking about that and were reviewing the statistics. We're so much more mobile now than back in 1918, so I shudder to think of what something that virulent would do today.

It is frightening to think about.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

My husband, my son, and I all work in NYC. Of course I'm prepping. I already make it a habit to have 1-2 weeks of food/water in the house anyway. But I'm adding a little onto that today. I'm also making sure I have plenty of advil, cough suppressant, Sudafed, vitamin C, and some pedialyte to be able to treat at home/prevent pneumonia, should any of us become infected.

You don't think that's wise?
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:12 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:09 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:10 pm probably look pretty smart to everyone right about now.

are you prepping for a possible quarantine major community disruption due to coronavirus?

stockpiling food or anything?

https://www.happypreppers.com/masterlist.html

I am only 1/2 joking.

The pantries and freezers are always fully stocked. We'd be fine if we couldn't leave the house for awhile. I will buy a few extra OTC medications like Tylenol.
NPR had a checklist of what to have on hand and OTC meds were on it. It was a good list. Generally we don't take OTC meds so I didn't even think about it until I read the article.
Clue me in on a link please? I googled but am not seeing any list like that. Please and thank you : - )
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:20 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:09 pm

The pantries and freezers are always fully stocked. We'd be fine if we couldn't leave the house for awhile. I will buy a few extra OTC medications like Tylenol.
NPR had a checklist of what to have on hand and OTC meds were on it. It was a good list. Generally we don't take OTC meds so I didn't even think about it until I read the article.
Clue me in on a link please? I googled but am not seeing any list like that. Please and thank you : - )
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... oronavirus
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:25 pm
Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:20 pm

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... oronavirus
Thanks. That is one of the ones came up in the google. I just didn't want to miss anything !!
Deleted User 670

The only thing I stockpile is toilet paper. I always make sure we have an unopened pack in the pantry.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

We are on the older side, and I have asthma. So we take a highly contagious respiratory virus seriously.

Are we "panicked"? No. But we are prepared if someone in the house gets sick so that we can isolate them more thoroughly than we may have in the past. And we have lots of first aid, OTC meds, soap and food on hand in case we get sick and don't want to go to stores.

Also, avoiding crowds and closed room meetings for the time being. Precautions are more useful than panic.
Locked Previous topicNext topic