Is it wrong to ask a virtual stranger what they make?

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:47 pm Would you ask a lawyer how much they charge if you were looking for a lawyer? She didn’t ask out of the blue. Her sister wants a nanny and she was just asking to see a ballpark number.
I’d ask the lawyer if I was contemplating hiring them. Not just some random lawyer on the street.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:34 pm
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:10 pm
jas wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:41 pm She wasn't rude - she had a reason for the interest and explained what it was. You were rude for blowing her off.
What?!?!?!? I was rude for not wanting to disclose how much I make?!?!? Wow!
For blowing her off, yes. You could have given her a ballpark figure in the context of the conversation you were having.

We will have to agree to disagree. I don’t have to disclose how much I make and not answering the question doesn’t make me rude whatsoever.
MomInNE
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

It would depend on context, I suppose. In your example, I would have told her. She's looking for info on nannies, not you in particular. It wouldn't have hurt to give her a ballpark figure.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

MomInNE wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:02 pm It would depend on context, I suppose. In your example, I would have told her. She's looking for info on nannies, not you in particular. It wouldn't have hurt to give her a ballpark figure.

There's so many variables with a nanny's position. Salaries can differ wildly even in the same community. There is no "ballpark figure" around here.

Even if every nanny made roughly the same thing, it's still a rude question. The reason the woman asked doesn't change that.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 pm
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:10 pm

What?!?!?!? I was rude for not wanting to disclose how much I make?!?!? Wow!
For blowing her off, yes. You could have given her a ballpark figure in the context of the conversation you were having.

We will have to agree to disagree. I don’t have to disclose how much I make and not answering the question doesn’t make me rude whatsoever.
Blowing her off does and coming here thinking she was rude kinda does as well...
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Blowing her off does and coming here thinking she was rude kinda does as well...

Blowing someone off who asked what I made is not rude whatsoever. Period. It makes no difference the context of the conversation either. That’s rude. You can agree or not but I’m not changing my mind on it, nor do I think I was rude for not answering that question.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:07 pm
jas wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Blowing someone off who asked what I made is not rude whatsoever. Period. It makes no difference the context of the conversation either. That’s rude. You can agree or not but I’m not changing my mind on it, nor do I think I was rude for not answering that question.
Not trying to change your mind. You asked - I told you. If you're so set in being right, why bother posting it here? Just so people can agree with you?
Locked Previous topicNext topic