Section 8

Anonymous 9

Unread post

This. This. This. And THIS.
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:35 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:13 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:48 pm I'm not referring to race or any form of discrimination. I'm simply saying that no landlord should be required to accept Section 8. And as I mentioned, if such a law is passed, I'm sure that many landlords will find a way to still choose their tenants. I don't condone discrimination. But I also think that as the owner of the property and the one that will have to collect the rent, I should be entitled to rent to whomever I most prefer.

You don't condone discrimination, but you should be entitled to rent to whomever you most prefer?
Yes. And why shouldn't you be able to rent to who you most prefer? You have to deal with these people, trust them not to destroy your property, collect rent from them, trust that they're not going to try to build a case and sue you, trust that they're not going to be doing anything illegal in your property which will result in you getting it seized, trust that their children won't be flushing pads down the toilet that you have to dig out of your sump pump pit (yes this happened), not stuffing rubber gloves down you're drain then complaining their sink won't drain (yes, this happened).

There's a lot of risk being a landlord. Someone has to do it, otherwise those that can't qualify for a mortgage would be homeless or live in their cars. So yes, I have every right to mitigate my risk on my property that I have to pay a mortgage and taxes on.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm Many states are starting to pass laws that every landlord and apartment complexes have to accept section 8 housing vouchers. What do you think about that? Good idea or Violates a landlord right to refuse?
I think it's stupid. First, what Section 8 is offering might not even be enough for the landlord to make their payment on their property, it if's not fully paid off, which forced the landlord to personally subsidize a tenant's inability to pay, and that's f*cked up. Second, it's going to lead to situations where people feel entitled to expect that a landlord HAS to choose them simply because they're on Section 8 even if there are other tenants that are better-qualified, which could lead to legal actions, again increasing costs for landlords. Third, what about when a landlord decides to sell their property and the purchaser wishes to use it for themselves and not rent to whomever's in it? And also, it forces a landlord to submit themselves to government interference whether they wish to deal with the it or not. I can see a lot of landlords choosing to say f*ck you to those states and sell out, which will DECREASE the available housing for Section 8, and have the added effect of decreasing rental housing for self-supporting tenants, not only completely defeating the purpose but creating a whole new problem as well. Typical government overreach.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:48 pm I'm not referring to race or any form of discrimination. I'm simply saying that no landlord should be required to accept Section 8. And as I mentioned, if such a law is passed, I'm sure that many landlords will find a way to still choose their tenants. I don't condone discrimination. But I also think that as the owner of the property and the one that will have to collect the rent, I should be entitled to rent to whomever I most prefer.

You don't condone discrimination, but you should be entitled to rent to whomever you most prefer?
Yes. And why shouldn't you be able to rent to who you most prefer? You have to deal with these people, trust them not to destroy your property, collect rent from them, trust that they're not going to try to build a case and sue you, trust that they're not going to be doing anything illegal in your property which will result in you getting it seized, trust that their children won't be flushing pads down the toilet that you have to dig out of your sump pump pit (yes this happened), not stuffing rubber gloves down you're drain then complaining their sink won't drain (yes, this happened).

There's a lot of risk being a landlord. Someone has to do it, otherwise those that can't qualify for a mortgage would be homeless or live in their cars. So yes, I have every right to mitigate my risk on my property that I have to pay a mortgage and taxes on.
I know there is substantial risk. But I get the feeling some are just talking about "Section 8" - aka stereotyping PA recipients as trash.

I also know there are hundreds of corporate slumlords.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:49 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:12 pm Many states are starting to pass laws that every landlord and apartment complexes have to accept section 8 housing vouchers. What do you think about that? Good idea or Violates a landlord right to refuse?
I think it's stupid. First, what Section 8 is offering might not even be enough for the landlord to make their payment on their property, it if's not fully paid off, which forced the landlord to personally subsidize a tenant's inability to pay, and that's f*cked up. Second, it's going to lead to situations where people feel entitled to expect that a landlord HAS to choose them simply because they're on Section 8 even if there are other tenants that are better-qualified, which could lead to legal actions, again increasing costs for landlords. Third, what about when a landlord decides to sell their property and the purchaser wishes to use it for themselves and not rent to whomever's in it? And also, it forces a landlord to submit themselves to government interference whether they wish to deal with the it or not. I can see a lot of landlords choosing to say f*ck you to those states and sell out, which will DECREASE the available housing for Section 8, and have the added effect of decreasing rental housing for self-supporting tenants, not only completely defeating the purpose but creating a whole new problem as well. Typical government overreach.
Part of the approval process for a property owner to become eligible for S8 housing is to make sure the owner can make the payments on their property(ies).

To the rest. Meh, I'd like to know how involved you've been with HUD.
AngelicUnicorn
Countess
Countess

Unread post

My mother lived in her house for twenty years. The house next door was a section 8 house. The longes and best tenant there was a single mom with three kids, they were there for five years. After the lady moved, everything went to shit. Looking back, it seems like every tenant was evicted for one reason or another, there were a bunch. If they lived there two years, I guess they were doing good. Twenty years, of calling the city, section 8, police for drug traffic, noise, fights, DV. The last tenant destroyed the house. It was a cute house. I went over to help the landlord clean the place. Doors had been kicked off the hinges, holes in the walls in every room, doors pulled off the cabinets in the kitchen. The refrigerator and stove was so filthy he had to throw them out. And the roaches and rats. OMG. Horrible. Horrible. The landlord wanted to help people, he told me that himself, but this had reached his limit. He pulled out of the Section 8 program and put the house up for sale. When I sold my mom’s house the family that lived there had been there almost 8 years. There is definitely some truth the section 8 stereotype. If a landlord is forced to rent to that, they will find a way to get around that mess, and I don’t blame them.
Progress, not perfection.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

One of our properties rented to a section 8 participant a bunch of years ago. We had to evict them (which was an absolute nightmare), when one of the kids was caught setting one of our other tenants porches on fire. The mom was a mess, never taking responsibility for her kids that ran the street and terrorized the neighbors. About three years ago, we got word that the pyro kid was in jail for shaking his girlfriends baby to the point of causing serious brain damage. His mom was quoted in the paper that her son was provoked. The baby was four months old.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

FACTS:

Section 8 brings property values down
Sec 8 families raise property taxes as they generally have more children than non Sec 8

Sec 8 should be temporary help and not a way of life. In some locations you cant get on the list until someone practically dies

Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am Where I used to live, the Section 8 tenants were decent. It was the slumlords that were crappy. and I've heard horror stories both about Section 8 and about high-end renters.

Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:57 pm

There is a police car in front of the section 8 units on the corner of my street at least two nights a week for some issue or other. I'd like to know where you got your statistic because it doesn't match up with my experience.

Yeah, that's why I'm curious if you had any stats. And what they are. Seems like there are lots of anecdotal stories. But what do the stats say? Of course those can be biased as well.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

I don't think that every person who has Section 8 housing is trash. But I will tell you that the couple people that I know that have Section 8 housing do not take good care of their rentals. I'm sure there are plenty of Section 8 renters that do, though.
Anonymous 8 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:58 pm

I know there is substantial risk. But I get the feeling some are just talking about "Section 8" - aka stereotyping PA recipients as trash.

Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:03 pm I don't think that every person who has Section 8 housing is trash. But I will tell you that the couple people that I know that have Section 8 housing do not take good care of their rentals. I'm sure there are plenty of Section 8 renters that do, though.
Anonymous 8 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:58 pm

How do you know these people?
Locked Previous topicNext topic