Section 8

Anonymous 10

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 pm IMO, it's wrong. No one should be able to tell a landlord that he/she must accept Section 8. And I'm sure that if something like this is passed, landlords will find a way to keep out tenants that they don't want.
Yeah, just like they do with race and other discrimination
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 am
RealisticBeauty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:16 am
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:00 am

We?
I'm still the property manager so yes, we...
That's being changed. Get ready because dad isn't standing around waiting on you. The only thing you are entitled to is child support.
I know it's hard for you but try to stay on topic
Anonymous 11

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 pm I rented to section 8 people twice. the first ones lived in my part of the house when we bought it (it’s a duplex). I could have made them move when I bought the place but I agreed to let them finish out their lease even though I didn’t have to.
[/quote]

It's my understanding that leases run with the sale meaning you need to honor the end date. Unless they were tenants at will which I doubt, or you bought a foreclosed property. Was there some kind of exception on your property?
Anonymous 12

Unread post

Anonymous 11 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 pm I rented to section 8 people twice. the first ones lived in my part of the house when we bought it (it’s a duplex). I could have made them move when I bought the place but I agreed to let them finish out their lease even though I didn’t have to.
It's my understanding that leases run with the sale meaning you need to honor the end date. Unless they were tenants at will which I doubt, or you bought a foreclosed property. Was there some kind of exception on your property?
[/quote]

With a regular lease this does apply but not with a section 8, because the original landlord enters into and signs a HAP contract with section 8. The HAP contract is not transferrable to the new owner like the regular lease would be. If the new owners is willing to allow the tenants to remain under the lease then the new owner must enter into and sign a HAP contract with section 8. Also when selling the house the original owner must tell the prospective new owner that there is a section 8 tenant or tenants
Anonymous 9

Unread post

I'm not referring to race or any form of discrimination. I'm simply saying that no landlord should be required to accept Section 8. And as I mentioned, if such a law is passed, I'm sure that many landlords will find a way to still choose their tenants. I don't condone discrimination. But I also think that as the owner of the property and the one that will have to collect the rent, I should be entitled to rent to whomever I most prefer.
Anonymous 10 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:10 pm
Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 pm IMO, it's wrong. No one should be able to tell a landlord that he/she must accept Section 8. And I'm sure that if something like this is passed, landlords will find a way to keep out tenants that they don't want.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:48 pm I'm not referring to race or any form of discrimination. I'm simply saying that no landlord should be required to accept Section 8. And as I mentioned, if such a law is passed, I'm sure that many landlords will find a way to still choose their tenants. I don't condone discrimination. But I also think that as the owner of the property and the one that will have to collect the rent, I should be entitled to rent to whomever I most prefer.
You don't condone discrimination, but you should be entitled to rent to whomever you most prefer?
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Yes. I should be able to choose my renter based on his/her credit history, employment, ability to repay, previous rent history, etc., Positively.
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:13 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:48 pm I'm not referring to race or any form of discrimination. I'm simply saying that no landlord should be required to accept Section 8. And as I mentioned, if such a law is passed, I'm sure that many landlords will find a way to still choose their tenants. I don't condone discrimination. But I also think that as the owner of the property and the one that will have to collect the rent, I should be entitled to rent to whomever I most prefer.

You don't condone discrimination, but you should be entitled to rent to whomever you most prefer?
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Seems to me a landlord can choose to go with another tenant for any number of reasons and it would be about as difficult to prove to as age discrimination when filling a job opening.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Where I used to live, the Section 8 tenants were decent. It was the slumlords that were crappy. and I've heard horror stories both about Section 8 and about high-end renters.

Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:57 pm
hotspice58 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:21 pm It can work if the owner isn’t a slumlord. That’s where most of the problems with Section 8 housing come from.

There is a police car in front of the section 8 units on the corner of my street at least two nights a week for some issue or other. I'd like to know where you got your statistic because it doesn't match up with my experience.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

The landlord can make it so the tenant will not be able to abide by income rules....that is how they get around it...at least here in california it is like that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic