3rd Quarter Conferences - DONE!

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 pm
highlandmum wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:39 pm Right now they are not doing them. We get report cards with marks only, no comments at all, and no option to speak with the teacher at the school, as they are doing work to rule. Some teachers will still talk on the phone but it is only to talk about the students progress. Damn teachers strike.
I actually wouldn't mind that part of the strike, LOL. But that's a bummer for you children and school and teachers, that they are all going through that.
High school is not as bad as the elementary schools. DS at least had a full week this week, the elementary schools had a three day school week this week, and a two day school week the week prior. Next week we have a holiday on the Monday, and then a province wide teachers walk out on Friday (all boards, all schools) so it's another three day week. I really feel for the parents who need to find day care as the school based ones are also cancelled.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We are 6 years in now.. This year is so much better than previous years as I farmed them out completely. LOL The program I was using also has an online version with recorded teachers. You can opt to do the tests/quizzes yourself and mail in the grades or have the kids do everything online. I decided to do everything online for both of them this year...hence the issue with my 11 year old. She has always done everything written and this year I changed it on her and she has not gotten used to the format yet and keeps screwing it up. It also helps that my oldest is self driven at 14. I mean, this kid already knows what she wants to do in life and is working towards that goal already. At 14, I just wanted a boy to notice me. LOL Of course, now that my oldest is in HS, I have to start thinking of college. *yikes*

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:52 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:45 pm I homeschool...no conferences for me. Well, unless you want to count that I just told my freshman that she owed me a paragraph and she said I'd have it tonight. Okey dokey...you have all 100s so far, so I trust you kid. The 7th grader? Sigh.. we had a conference this morning about what she needs to do this school year since we just started 3 weeks ago and she is not doing well thus far. She is struggling with the online tests/quizzes. She keeps locking herself out of them and accidentally submitting them before she is finished which means failing since it is not complete..I told her she has got to be more mindful of what she is doing when taking them. She's killing me.
6 years ago with one child attending school, I erroneously believed, I could homeschool. I mean, I never tried, but I truly thought, with all my schooling and accomplishments, "sure, I could do that". Fast forward 6 years, it truly feels like a grand feat to just read to 2 of my children for 20-60 minutes, assist with math for 15 minutes and do sight words for 2 minutes, per night HAHA! Hats off to you, it would KILL me...
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am in the process of doing them
For our parents. They were scheduled for last Friday but we had a snow day so now I’m meeting them
Before the school day begins.

My boys only have them after the first quarter so they have been done for awhile.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

None here. Mine are adults.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:25 pm None here. Mine are adults.
lol, yep, you're done with that phase!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

You DID have a productive day!

My kids are grown now. No more conferences for me. I never looked forward to them when my kids were young. But once there, I was always grateful for the information I gleaned from them. Some were more productive than others. But I always felt that they were a great way for me to stay connected to the teachers. Staying connected to the teachers = easier resolution to problems when/if they occur in the future.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:20 pm Finished in 1 hour and 15 minutes, 2 schools, 3 kids, HOW ABOUT THAT for a PRODUCTIVE DAY?

Tell me about your kids' conferences! Have you guys had winter conferences? Are they coming up? Were they enlightening? Do you like conference time? Dread conference time? Are they child guided, do you like that?

Honestly, formal conferences are not my favorite thing to do, but they are better than it used to be! The kindergarten and the 4th grader led their own conferences this time. The 6th grade conferences are all in the gym, where you wander around and find all 7 of the teachers and talked to them for about 5 minutes a piece.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 pm I am in the process of doing them
For our parents. They were scheduled for last Friday but we had a snow day so now I’m meeting them
Before the school day begins.

My boys only have them after the first quarter so they have been done for awhile.
I don't envy the teachers either. I think it's a bit easier for younger kids, but boy, by the time you probably have 100 kids in middle school, I'm just impressed they all had a glint of recognition at my kid's name!

*eta Happy Conferencing!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:57 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 pm
highlandmum wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:39 pm Right now they are not doing them. We get report cards with marks only, no comments at all, and no option to speak with the teacher at the school, as they are doing work to rule. Some teachers will still talk on the phone but it is only to talk about the students progress. Damn teachers strike.
I actually wouldn't mind that part of the strike, LOL. But that's a bummer for you children and school and teachers, that they are all going through that.
High school is not as bad as the elementary schools. DS at least had a full week this week, the elementary schools had a three day school week this week, and a two day school week the week prior. Next week we have a holiday on the Monday, and then a province wide teachers walk out on Friday (all boards, all schools) so it's another three day week. I really feel for the parents who need to find day care as the school based ones are also cancelled.
That sounds very stressful. I hope the strike ends soon for you community. There were years, I was SO distraught when daycare closed.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have conferences a few times a yr. A conference is mandatory if your child is having problems. My kid is on the advanced track, making A’s I’m not required to attend but I do. My husband and I both go. I like to know what’s going on, be involved..
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:42 pm We have conferences a few times a yr. A conference is mandatory if your child is having problems. My kid is on the advanced track, making A’s I’m not required to attend but I do. My husband and I both go. I like to know what’s going on, be involved..
My oldest is similar to you DD; my younger two are perhaps a little more unpredictable.

I am always in awe at home many couples go, my DH just won't attend, LOL.
Locked Previous topicNext topic