Tax season is almost upon us!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Do you do your own taxes? What do you use? Or do you go to a professional to have it done?

I’ve been going to the same tax lady for 23 years, that way I know it’s done right and if it’s not she will fix it she also gives financial advice when we need it.
7CC99F9A-4F72-4ABF-9323-4CBD077AF4D3.jpeg
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lol. There is a lot of truth in your meme.

I have always done my own. But I've used different programs almost every year - I refuse to pay a fee to file my taxes! I know those programs have development costs but I've always found one that I could use that had all the features I wanted without a charge. That was turbotax, turbotax, tax act, h and r block, and credit karma, in that order for the past 5 years if I remember correctly. I like doing my own and having that kind of knowledge of exactly what I am reporting to the IRS but it has required me to research a few things once or twice to figure out how to correctly file.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We do our own with tax software. Have for many years and find it a good way to take inventory, asses performance of investments and plan for the upcoming year. I have never found it a problem and we've had self-employment and income properties.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:32 pm Lol. There is a lot of truth in your meme.

I have always done my own. But I've used different programs almost every year - I refuse to pay a fee to file my taxes! I know those programs have development costs but I've always found one that I could use that had all the features I wanted without a charge. That was turbotax, turbotax, tax act, h and r block, and credit karma, in that order for the past 5 years if I remember correctly. I like doing my own and having that kind of knowledge of exactly what I am reporting to the IRS but it has required me to research a few things once or twice to figure out how to correctly file.
Same here as far as research... but I prefer to understand fully how the return has been calculated before I sign my name to it.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Unless you're someone like Bill Gates it's fairly simple to do your own. We have always done our own and have never had any issue.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have a sole proprietary LLC and I do my own. That meme is accurate though!
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We have a CPA that we have used for about 15 years now.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:33 pm
Smarties wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:32 pm Lol. There is a lot of truth in your meme.

Same here as far as research... but I prefer to understand fully how the return has been calculated before I sign my name to it.

Thats a good point - in some measure I'm still relying on the program to do some of the calculations.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I work for a CPA who does taxes for people so since working here I have had him do mine. I mean, why not?
Before I worked here I used Turbo Tax for years.

I gotta tell you though, contrary to responses so far saying it's really not that hard, I am amazed every year at the simple aspects of taxes that our clients cannot seem to grasp. I don't expect them to understand everything. That's why they use a CPA, right? But there are basics that it seems to me everyone should understand about their own taxes. But a number of people just don't get it.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lol @ the meme.
We have a CPA that does our business and personal taxes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic