Big family/small space/little kids: Heavy chairs or folding chairs?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We've been using stools you can stack, but the smaller kids just drag them to get to the stuff that's kept out of their reach. I cannot get the older kids to put stuff behind childproofed cabinets... one even lacks the finger strength to open childproofed stuff even though he's eight.

Telling me to watch my kids is not good enough. I am not the only one who watches them. And if DH, the babysitter, and grandparents all have this same trouble, then it's a problem that needs to be solved with more than "watch your kids."

So, my solution is to either invest in really heavy chairs that small kids cannot move, but would get in the way most of the time. Or get folding chairs I can hang on the wall as a temporary solution (to be replaced by a nicer solution when the kids are all older). I guess a third solution is to build a banquette in the eating area. But that would be the most expensive, and we plan on expanding the countertop/appliances into that area eventually, so it wouldn't be an investment. Just a costly temporary solution that would look nice.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How old are kids involved? I'd get the heavy chairs personally.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Baby gates would be my solution
Anonymous 3

Unread post

What are these stools intended to be used for? Ages and number of kids?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:05 am Baby gates would be my solution
It's a small space, so there aren't doorways needing gates. But one of the smaller kids can open baby gates. The youngest can't but has broken a couple at his morning baby group
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:59 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:05 am Baby gates would be my solution
It's a small space, so there aren't doorways needing gates. But one of the smaller kids can open baby gates. The youngest can't but has broken a couple at his morning baby group
How old are these kids?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:09 am What are these stools intended to be used for? Ages and number of kids?
Eating at the table. The youngest of the "little kids" is two. The youngest of the "big kids" is eight. I'm not going to be too specific other than that, since I've posted my number of kids as well as my kids' ages here before under my screenname. And this is a small group
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:00 am How old are kids involved? I'd get the heavy chairs personally.
Thanks. DH voted for the folding chairs, but he invites people over pretty often. I could see myself getting embarrassed by folding chairs.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:02 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:09 am What are these stools intended to be used for? Ages and number of kids?
Eating at the table. The youngest of the "little kids" is two. The youngest of the "big kids" is eight. I'm not going to be too specific other than that, since I've posted my number of kids as well as my kids' ages here before under my screenname. And this is a small group
I would think it would be hard to find chairs heavy enough that a 2 year old can't push them. What about a table with benches instead?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:05 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:00 am How old are kids involved? I'd get the heavy chairs personally.
Thanks. DH voted for the folding chairs, but he invites people over pretty often. I could see myself getting embarrassed by folding chairs.
How old are they?
Locked Previous topicNext topic