Teachers, how they dress, and more

Anonymous 1

Unread post

A friend and I were having a conversation the other day about the expectations of how teachers should dress. It seems that it is perfectly okay for a male teacher to wear a polo and khakis every day of the week. As long as they aren't wrinkled and look neat they are fine. However, female teachers are expected to look cute, more dressy, and more put together than khakis and a polo. It seems they are expected to wear cute pants or a skirt, a nice top or sweater, and those shoes must be cute too.

Would you think less of your child's teacher if they wore a polo and khakis every single day...or even jeans and a school shirt? Does how the teacher look really matter to you?

Then moving from that...it seems in the schools I sub for that I see several overweight male teachers, but not so many overweight female teachers. Now...it could be I am just missing them. But I have to wonder about that too. My own kids have never had an overweight female teacher.

And my last topic. (This one came from another sub) Do you think young teachers should teach high school? I am talking young 20's? Do you think there is too much temptation there?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Women have way more choices than men so it's easier for them to get dressed up, IMO. But no I wouldn't care, male or female, if they wore whatever as long as it was work appropriate, meaning no vulgar sayings, etc.

I haven't paid too much attention to the weight of my son's teachers but aside from his music teacher (who is obese) they have all been female.

I think as long as you are qualified you should be able to teach whatever grade you want.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I wouldn't know if my kids substitute teacher is a dog much less their weight. As for what they wear hell she can look like a hooker so long as she gets my son to care. For a while his grades were absolutely atrocious. Also we need good teachers. We don't have them, we pay terrible apparently. So right now I've bigger concerns than weight or their clothes. I don't even notice tbh. I only complain if kids have to wear tucked in polo shirts and they do not. They should.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My bil is 38, and he's several years into his career as a hs teacher. He's younger than most there, but it works to his advantage as the students more readily open up to him due to his youth (he looks younger than he is).

As for dress, come to work in jeans and a tee, I couldn't care less. I've had teachers who were young, old, heavy, thin, male, female, gay, straight, whatever. It never mattered to me. The only things that mattered to me were how they treated us and how they taught.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The male teachers in our elementary and junior high school, dress up with button down and ties nearly every day. Much more dressy than the females, so I cannot relate to that scenario. Well, except the gym teachers, but male or female, they wear comfy athletic clothes.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I think we need more male teachers.
As for dress, women have more options. As long as they're clean and covered up I don't care what a teacher wears.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Women in US society in general are under more pressure to dress up and be thin than men. It isn't just a school thing. I don't care what my child's teacher wears as long as it follows the school dress code and they teach them. I also don't care what age they are, temptation? I don't know any early 20s women who are interested in 17 year old boys and if a teacher can't keep their hands off of their student, that is a moral thing, not an age thing, and they shouldn't be a teacher no matter their age.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:57 am My bil is 38, and he's several years into his career as a hs teacher. He's younger than most there, but it works to his advantage as the students more readily open up to him due to his youth (he looks younger than he is).

As for dress, come to work in jeans and a tee, I couldn't care less. I've had teachers who were young, old, heavy, thin, male, female, gay, straight, whatever. It never mattered to me. The only things that mattered to me were how they treated us and how they taught.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:56 am I wouldn't know if my kids substitute teacher is a dog much less their weight. As for what they wear hell she can look like a hooker so long as she gets my son to care. For a while his grades were absolutely atrocious. Also we need good teachers. We don't have them, we pay terrible apparently. So right now I've bigger concerns than weight or their clothes. I don't even notice tbh. I only complain if kids have to wear tucked in polo shirts and they do not. They should.
I am talking about regular teachers. Not subs.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:37 am A friend and I were having a conversation the other day about the expectations of how teachers should dress. It seems that it is perfectly okay for a male teacher to wear a polo and khakis every day of the week. As long as they aren't wrinkled and look neat they are fine. However, female teachers are expected to look cute, more dressy, and more put together than khakis and a polo. It seems they are expected to wear cute pants or a skirt, a nice top or sweater, and those shoes must be cute too.

Would you think less of your child's teacher if they wore a polo and khakis every single day...or even jeans and a school shirt? Does how the teacher look really matter to you?

Then moving from that...it seems in the schools I sub for that I see several overweight male teachers, but not so many overweight female teachers. Now...it could be I am just missing them. But I have to wonder about that too. My own kids have never had an overweight female teacher.

And my last topic. (This one came from another sub) Do you think young teachers should teach high school? I am talking young 20's? Do you think there is too much temptation there?
I see thin, fat and morbidly obese male and female teachers everyday. I see frumpy, trashy, preppy and stylishly dressed male and female teachers everyday.
Temptation for what? Are you assuming that a 20 something teacher cant teach in a high school because they will get horny and start dragging students into empty classrooms, bathrooms and closets to kiss, fondle or f**k the younger students?
Locked Previous topicNext topic