How the OK sign came to be used by white supremacists

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:36 pm
morgan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:52 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Have you heard about this new thing called the internet? About the new way the word "viral" is used?

But you're right. Law enforcement, the military, the Anti-Defamation League, all idiots. You know better than them.
Have you heard about this thing called “manufactured outrage?”

🤷🏻‍♀️👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾
But in recent years, it (the OK sign) has also been appropriated for a more malign purpose — to signify “white power.” The gesture has become an extremist meme, according to the Anti-Defamation League.
OK, put the emojis down, you're looking like the person that you always criticize.

So are you claiming the Anti-Defamation League are all a bunch of idiots, who even though this is their line of work, even though they have been doing this forever, that they got this wrong? The FBI who also has a job to investigate hate groups (on the left and right), they are wrong? That the sign has not been appropriated?
I looked up ADL too before I commented.

The overwhelming usage of the “okay” hand gesture today is still its traditional purpose as a gesture signifying assent or approval. As a result, someone who uses the symbol cannot be assumed to be using the symbol in either a trolling or, especially, white supremacist context unless other contextual evidence exists to support the contention. Since 2017, many people have been falsely accused of being racist or white supremacist for using the “okay” gesture in its traditional and innocuous sense.

Because of the traditional meaning of the “okay” hand gesture, as well as other usages unrelated to white supremacy, particular care must be taken not to jump to conclusions about the intent behind someone who has used the gesture.
https://www.adl.org/education/reference ... nd-gesture

They even said most people overwhelmingly use it in a traditional context.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:17 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:09 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/15/us/o ... power.html

I read the whole article before commenting. So now we are investigating white people for simply throwing the OK sign at a ball game?

WTF.
I was thinking wtf while reading the whole article. Thank you for providing a link btw. I’m a bit flabbergasted that the response is to empower these hate groups.
This whole thing is WTF to me!! You’re welcome ma’m!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

morgan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:16 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:09 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/15/us/o ... power.html

I read the whole article before commenting. So now we are investigating white people for simply throwing the OK sign at a ball game?

WTF.
Only the ones who constantly look for racism in nothing.
Looking like that is the case here.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:12 pm The NYT did an article explaining how the white supremacists stole the OK sign for themselves.
It started in early 2017 as a hoax. Some users of 4chan, an anonymous and unrestricted online message board, began what they called “Operation O-KKK,” to see if they could trick the wider world — and especially liberals and the mainstream media — into believing that the innocuous gesture was actually a clandestine symbol of white power.

The 4chan hoax succeeded all too well, and it ceased being a hoax.

Neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klansmen, Proud Boys and other white nationalists began using the gesture in public to signal their presence and to spot potential sympathizers and recruits. For them, the letters formed by the hand were not O and K, but W and P, for “white power.”
And when things got too out of control and someone might be at risk for losing their job, for example, they could always claim they were just saying OK or just playing a game.
I was digging through this topic after that post over the weekend and came across this article also. I'm just kind of stumped though about why the liberals/media actually bought into it in the first place and have continued to carry this forward.

The idea that it meant something other than "OK" came from 4chan, which is all tied into Q. All of this is termed by the liberals and the media as conspiracy/false/tin foil hat.

So why did the liberals and the media buy into it then and start complaining about it being a white supremacy symbol? It should have been disregarded and dismissed out of hand as something from the tin foil hat group, shouldn't it? The liberals and the media seem to have perpetuated this whole thing by talking about it, no?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It’s really quite simple. The more fake outrage they can get the most ignorant of their base riled up about, the angrier and more unhinged they get as time goes on. (Case in point - ANTIFA)
Let’s not forget… There’s only one goal. One. And that is to remove President Trump and the GOP. They will manufacture any lie, they will cheat in every way, and they will do anything to achieve that goal. Even if it means creating more hate.
KAG
Mean Girl
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:24 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:12 pm The NYT did an article explaining how the white supremacists stole the OK sign for themselves.
It started in early 2017 as a hoax. Some users of 4chan, an anonymous and unrestricted online message board, began what they called “Operation O-KKK,” to see if they could trick the wider world — and especially liberals and the mainstream media — into believing that the innocuous gesture was actually a clandestine symbol of white power.

The 4chan hoax succeeded all too well, and it ceased being a hoax.

Neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klansmen, Proud Boys and other white nationalists began using the gesture in public to signal their presence and to spot potential sympathizers and recruits. For them, the letters formed by the hand were not O and K, but W and P, for “white power.”
And when things got too out of control and someone might be at risk for losing their job, for example, they could always claim they were just saying OK or just playing a game.
I was digging through this topic after that post over the weekend and came across this article also. I'm just kind of stumped though about why the liberals/media actually bought into it in the first place and have continued to carry this forward.

The idea that it meant something other than "OK" came from 4chan, which is all tied into Q. All of this is termed by the liberals and the media as conspiracy/false/tin foil hat.

So why did the liberals and the media buy into it then and start complaining about it being a white supremacy symbol? It should have been disregarded and dismissed out of hand as something from the tin foil hat group, shouldn't it? The liberals and the media seem to have perpetuated this whole thing by talking about it, no?
I think the ADL explained it well. The white supremacy groups decided that they like the symbol and started using it. Look at the hundreds and hundreds of photos of white supremacy groups using it. Why are they using the symbol?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:50 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:36 pm
morgan wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Have you heard about this thing called “manufactured outrage?”

🤷🏻‍♀️👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾
But in recent years, it (the OK sign) has also been appropriated for a more malign purpose — to signify “white power.” The gesture has become an extremist meme, according to the Anti-Defamation League.
OK, put the emojis down, you're looking like the person that you always criticize.

So are you claiming the Anti-Defamation League are all a bunch of idiots, who even though this is their line of work, even though they have been doing this forever, that they got this wrong? The FBI who also has a job to investigate hate groups (on the left and right), they are wrong? That the sign has not been appropriated?
I looked up ADL too before I commented.

The overwhelming usage of the “okay” hand gesture today is still its traditional purpose as a gesture signifying assent or approval. As a result, someone who uses the symbol cannot be assumed to be using the symbol in either a trolling or, especially, white supremacist context unless other contextual evidence exists to support the contention. Since 2017, many people have been falsely accused of being racist or white supremacist for using the “okay” gesture in its traditional and innocuous sense.

Because of the traditional meaning of the “okay” hand gesture, as well as other usages unrelated to white supremacy, particular care must be taken not to jump to conclusions about the intent behind someone who has used the gesture.
https://www.adl.org/education/reference ... nd-gesture

They even said most people overwhelmingly use it in a traditional context.
Most people, if they use the dorky symbol at all, use it as an OK symbol. But it is a fact that it is used by white supremacists. This is why the military has to do an investigation. To find out which it was.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 pm

I think the ADL explained it well. The white supremacy groups decided that they like the symbol and started using it. Look at the hundreds and hundreds of photos of white supremacy groups using it. Why are they using the symbol?
Because it’s the OK 👌🏾 sign.
KAG
Mean Girl
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 pm

But why is it being accepted and acknowledged? It's something that's innocuous and has been around for ages.
Why was it accepted to be this hateful symbol and not ignored?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:44 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:35 pm
water<wine wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:00 pm lol, the proud boys arent a "white nationalist" group. I am not even some fan of theirs but this lie is constantly repeated and just proves to me that the MSM does no independent research. their sources are other biased "journalists" instead of the original source (proud boys). they say it on their main page that all races are welcome, they have members of all races and the founder isnt even married to a white woman and has biracial children. He has explicitly stated he is not a white nationalist.

btw, the 4chan hoax included convincing dumb asses that the O and K meant W, P for white power. that's the joke.
Proud Boys are white nationalists. Racists make exceptions for themselves all the time. They can write anything they want on their websites, they are being judged on their actions.

It’s kind of funny idiots at 4chan would come up with this and their fellow racists are like, hey! That’s actually a cool idea. We’ll take it. A lot of them now are quite open about it.
ok- WHAT ACTIONS? Anyone can make up any accusation based on your standards. the burden is on those making the accusations to support them.

again, which racists are using it? the new Zealand shooter flashed it to TROLL THE MEDIA. the same reason he said Candace Owens influenced him (shes black) and pew de pie, the most popular youtuber. Even evil killers like to f**k with people/play games for entertainment.

4chan trolls think its funny that all they have to do it start a rumor that something innocent is racist and hysterical activists will eat it up. they are controlling you for laughs and as a political strategy and you fall for it. the goal is to demonstrate how absurd the left's behavior is and its working.

So long as the left reacts to it, people will keep on using the ok sign to mess with you.
It's really not so hard to understand, I don't get the problem.

4chan, filled with basement dwelling alt-right reject trolls started the thing claiming it was to upset "the left". And what has happened is the only people flashing the sign are white nationalists, and even the Klansmen. Then when these alt-right people use the symbol they can claim, oh it's to trigger the liberals.

So, a lot of Trump supporters claim to use the symbol "ironically" because it was only made up to annoy the left. But made up or not, the symbol was made up to mean "white power." Why do they get so much enjoyment from it?
Locked Previous topicNext topic