Would this make you feel angry?

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I live in Florida. I'm used to it. The only time I was really annoyed was a bunch of Cuban friends having a conversation knowing my friend and I didn't speak Spanish. We spoke up and were ignored. That bothered me.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I’d find it irritating if it was clear they were talking about people around them. Otherwise, it wouldn’t bother me.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:17 pm Allow me to be the first to say, I AGREE WITH ANON2!

I see nothing wrong with the scenarios that were listed in the original post. But if there's a group of co-workers sitting around a dinner table and 2 employees start speaking to one another in a language that no one else at the table understands, it is no different than if they had blatantly whispered in front of the other employees.

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Another language isn't gibberish... are you talking about you're in a group of like five people and two will start talking in front of everyone else or you're at a party and you walk by two people speaking in another language?
Like I stated in the reply, if I was at a restaurant with a group of people sitting at the same table with me and others at the same table started talking in another language knowing full well the rest of don't speak that language at all.
I agree with both of you.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Quick! Someone screenshot this response! :lol:
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:22 pmI agree with Anon 2
Anonymous 6

Unread post

No it wouldn't. My sis in law & her sister will speak in Spanish to each other often.
Anonymom*23/6/364
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Not really.
But I have wished I could speak Mandarin once or twice during a manicure.😉
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:03 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:02 pm

No, not if I didn't know them or if I wasn't in a group setting with them.
But I've been at a party or in a restaurant with a group of people and two or more would start talking in their language knowing full well the rest of us don't speak that gibberish. I just tell them to speak English because its rude to speak in another language the rest of don'r understand and they know it.
Another language isn't gibberish... are you talking about you're in a group of like five people and two will start talking in front of everyone else or you're at a party and you walk by two people speaking in another language?
Like I stated in the reply, if I was at a restaurant with a group of people sitting at the same table with me and others at the same table started talking in another language knowing full well the rest of don't speak that language at all.
I agree with this. It's downright rude to be in a group of people, and they start conversing in another language others don't speak.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:58 pm If people were speaking in a language you don't know, not to you, but having a private conversation around you? For example, two employees who are stocking shelves in a grocery store, a group of people standing in line behind you waiting to be seated at a restaurant, you're babysitting and are making dinner while the kids are playing legos in the next room and you hear the kids start to speak to each other, or you work at a school and during free-time a group of kids start speaking to each other. I'm just trying to understand this line of thinking.
No, because I'm not a sensitive MEGA snowflake who thinks everyone around me needs to speak English and because it's a private conversation so I wouldn't be paying attention to anyway. These people are sad paranoid idiots. You cannot understand them.

It is, however, rude to speak in another language to deliberately not include others seated at your table or whom you invite into your home. It's one thing if someone else translates to others but language barriers should not be used to exclude others and to be deliberately rude. Especially if that person is the host because it mkes the guests feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymom*23/6/364 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:50 pm Not really.
But I have wished I could speak Mandarin once or twice during a manicure.😉
I get your overall point, just wanted to point out that more nail techs are Vietnamese than Chinese, though I don't know what salons you go to so they could be speaking Mandarin for all I know. Why there are so many Vietnamese-American nail techs is actually a pretty interesting story. They are much more likely to be chatting about their own lives than you, if that makes you feel more comfortable.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No I don’t find it rude
Every conversation isn’t my business
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Locked Previous topicNext topic