Ungrateful people at Christmas time.

Anonymous 11

Unread post

We got my nephew some legos one year for Christmas. When he opened them up, SIl said "he doesn't really use legos". He was 5 or so at the time. So she spent the rest of the time after we ate building the lego set FOR HIM. Well, why don't you let him do it? It was very odd! And of course it felt very ungrateful.

Another time, that same SIL opened her present and said "I love it" before she even saw what it was! It was wrapped in tissue paper and I was watching her so she had not seen the actual gift yet and it sounded very rehearsed as if she knew she wasn't going to like it but she was just going to say she loved it. Odd again.

Another SIL would always tell me exactly what I needed to buy her kids and I felt that seemed ungrateful as well as if I didn't buy the exact things, then it wasn't good enough. I always hated that. I now just get the kids gift cards, but of course it still has to be exactly to the store they want.

My MIL never acts like she likes anything we get her. She barely makes a face while opening the presents. It's very strange. We get her things she really likes too so not sure why she wouldn't act more grateful.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:07 am My mother was not particularly gracious about gifts when I was growing up.

I suppose like anyone of us, she's overall a good person, but damn, she was cruel, very cruel and mean about gifts. I cried on multiple Xmas mornings because she didn't like my gifts, "oh look, something to dust." OR "What were you thinking, did you put any thought into this?" OR "what a waste of money" OR finally, "you mean you got me nothing?"

I am still anxious to this day, and have no idea what to buy the woman, although I think she is far more mellow in front of grandchildren, and has better manners.
My mom is the same. I remember my mom telling me to not buy her another jewelry or music box one year LOL!
I gave her a Swarovski crystal elephant for her birthday one year and my little brother kept playing with it.
I started buying things for her to fill her jewelry boxes and everything over the years was stolen!
She gets money now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic