Cyberbullying crusader Melania Trump silent on her husband's mocking of 16-year-old Thunberg

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

At the very least I think we all, Melania Trump included, should be able to acknowledge that speaking up about an issue you are passionate about shouldn't automatically mean you have to give up the expectation of being treated decently. Especially if you are a child (with asperger's, meaning its possible she can't process and display her emotions "correctly". Just something to keep in mind next time its suggested that she's freaking out or irrational or whatever). Unless that's the world we live in now, in which case 🤷‍♀️
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

GMa4all wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:03 am
BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:39 am
GMa4all wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:11 pm

You don’t think the way he talked down to Greta and criticized her and devalued her as bullying ?
😳
How is it devaluing her by saying she needs to work on her anger management and chill? How is it bullying? You say way worse to other people. Are you bullying them? You have spoke down to me and told me that I am undereducated. Was your intention to bully me?
Stay on topic
It’s about Trump’s words and attitude toward Greta.
I am on topic and you didn’t answer my question. How is it devaluing Greta by saying she needs to work on anger management and she needs to chill?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:34 am
Valentina327 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:29 am She is supporting her husband, just as any loyal wife should do. No decent wife should criticize her husband in front of friends or family, let alone the entire world. Are some of you really that warped now that you'd advocate for that? Seriously?

If she does disagree with him, she'd do that in private. Not for everyone to see. Its ridiculous to think otherwise.

On a side note - what he said isn't bullying. We snap to that word all too quickly and it's losing it's gravitas. He passed an opinion. Passing an opinion is not bullying anyone. And incidentally, the child clearly does seem to have anger issues. Anyone can see that. It's not like he's exposing some closely guarded information. No one should be that knotted up and furious at that age.
If she’s unable to stand up against bullying when it isn’t easy and convenient, then she shouldn’t have chosen to become a spokesperson on the topic. It makes her look like a joke and was a totally foreseeable outcome when she knows she’s married to a famous cyber bully.

His comments were very clearly mocking her. Again, if Barron wrote a paper where he was passionate about a topic and the teacher wrote Trump’s comment on it, I somehow don’t think Melania would be cool with it.
How were his comments bullying and mocking?
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:43 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:29 am She is supporting her husband, just as any loyal wife should do. No decent wife should criticize her husband in front of friends or family, let alone the entire world. Are some of you really that warped now that you'd advocate for that? Seriously?

If she does disagree with him, she'd do that in private. Not for everyone to see. Its ridiculous to think otherwise.

On a side note - what he said isn't bullying. We snap to that word all too quickly and it's losing it's gravitas. He passed an opinion. Passing an opinion is not bullying anyone. And incidentally, the child clearly does seem to have anger issues. Anyone can see that. It's not like he's exposing some closely guarded information. No one should be that knotted up and furious at that age.
If she’s unable to stand up against bullying when it isn’t easy and convenient, then she shouldn’t have chosen to become a spokesperson on the topic. It makes her look like a joke and was a totally foreseeable outcome when she knows she’s married to a famous cyber bully.

His comments were very clearly mocking her. Again, if Barron wrote a paper where he was passionate about a topic and the teacher wrote Trump’s comment on it, I somehow don’t think Melania would be cool with it.
How were they not? He calls her being Time Person of the Year “so ridiculous”, accuses her of having a problem and tells her to go watch a movie rather than engage in activism. And, you know, that’s in addition to his previous mocking tweets, of which #BeBest Melania was dead silent on.

Do you think a 73 year old man making fun of a teenage girl, who happens to also have autism, is normal and acceptable? If one of Barron’s friends was to post a video of him (with his permission) of him getting angry and upset about, say, the attention and scrutiny on his family, would an identical tweet from Obama directed at Barron seem kind and sincere to you?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:52 pm

How were they not? He calls her being Time Person of the Year “so ridiculous”, accuses her of having a problem and tells her to go watch a movie rather than engage in activism. And, you know, that’s in addition to his previous mocking tweets, of which #BeBest Melania was dead silent on.

Do you think a 73 year old man making fun of a teenage girl, who happens to also have autism, is normal and acceptable? If one of Barron’s friends was to leak a video of him getting angry and upset about, say, the attention and scrutiny on his family, would an identical tweet from Obama directed at Barron seem kind and sincere to you?
Saying how are they not is not answering my question. The question is how are his comments mocking and bullying? His comments are no different than comments I have seen all over this site. I have seen way worse and told it isn’t bullying. So how is it bullying to say someone needs anger management and chill out or that someone being time person of the year is ridiculous? Just because you don’t agree with his words doesn’t mean his words were bullying.
Your comparison makes no sense. Barron isn’t an activist. Leaking a video of him being emotional isn’t the same as being an activist and yelling at adults and demanding to be heard.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Do you think a 73 year old man making fun of a teenage girl, who happens to also have autism, is normal and acceptable? If one of Barron’s friends was to leak a video of him getting angry and upset about, say, the attention and scrutiny on his family, would an identical tweet from Obama directed at Barron seem kind and sincere to you?
Saying how are they not is not answering my question. The question is how are his comments mocking and bullying? His comments are no different than comments I have seen all over this site. I have seen way worse and told it isn’t bullying. So how is it bullying to say someone needs anger management and chill out or that someone being time person of the year is ridiculous? Just because you don’t agree with his words doesn’t mean his words were bullying.
Your comparison makes no sense. Barron isn’t an activist. Leaking a video of him being emotional isn’t the same as being an activist and yelling at adults and demanding to be heard.
Bullying also involves a power imbalance. I'm sure you'd agree Trump had a great deal of influence even before he had the power of the presidency behind him. He knows what he's doing. He shits out his tweets then essentially sits back while his goon squad goes after her.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:04 pm

Bullying also involves a power imbalance. I'm sure you'd agree Trump had a great deal of influence even before he had the power of the presidency behind him. He knows what he's doing. He shits out his tweets then essentially sits back while his goon squad goes after her.
So then by that definition anything he says to anyone is bullying because he is president? Anyone of any Influence not agreeing with someone is bullying?

Here is the definition of imbalance of power in bullying
An Imbalance of Power: Kids who bully use their power—such as physical strength, access to embarrassing information, or popularity—to control or harm others. Power imbalances can change over time and in different situations, even if they involve the same people.
So how is Trump using his power to access embarrassing information, or his popularity to control or harm Greta? What harm is he doing and how is he controlling her?
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I very clearly did answer you - he’s mocking her as having a problem and telling her to watch a movie instead of following her passions. He’s a 73 year old man who is going out of his way to insult a teenage girl - would it not be possible for him to disagree with her arguments while not attacking her personally?

Okay, let’s say Barron was approached by some paparazzi and had an angry, emotional rant about scrutiny on his family. That would be him wanting to be heard by the public. If President Obama tweeted the identical thing at him, would you find it kind, sincere and appropriate?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

I very clearly did answer you - he’s mocking her as having a problem and telling her to watch a movie instead of following her passions. He’s a 73 year old man who is going out of his way to insult a teenage girl.

Okay, let’s say Barron was approached by some paparazzi and had an angry, emotional rant about scrutiny on his family. That would be him wanting to be heard by the public. If President Obama tweeted the identical thing at him, would you find it kind, sincere and appropriate?
You didn’t really answer my question and you still are not. How is telling someone they have an anger problem mocking them? Telling someone to watch a movie and chill and relax, is that not a suggestion? He’s saying enjoy your youth and go do what kids your age are doing instead of stressing yourself out. Relax a little. She is a very angry girl and relaxing a bit would benefit her.
You keep using Barron as examples and forgetting that Barron is out of the spotlight and not an activist. He isn’t in politics. He is a kid being a kid, which is what Trump suggested Greta be.
If you are going to make a comparison between Greta and one of Trumps kids you would need to compare Trump Jr or Ivanka, both of which get plenty of criticism and nobody is screaming cyber bullying over them.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Francee89 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

I very clearly did answer you - he’s mocking her as having a problem and telling her to watch a movie instead of following her passions. He’s a 73 year old man who is going out of his way to insult a teenage girl.

You didn’t really answer my question and you still are not. How is telling someone they have an anger problem mocking them? Telling someone to watch a movie and chill and relax, is that not a suggestion? He’s saying enjoy your youth and go do what kids your age are doing instead of stressing yourself out. Relax a little. She is a very angry girl and relaxing a bit would benefit her.
You keep using Barron as examples and forgetting that Barron is out of the spotlight and not an activist. He isn’t in politics. He is a kid being a kid, which is what Trump suggested Greta be.
If you are going to make a comparison between Greta and one of Trumps kids you would need to compare Trump Jr or Ivanka, both of which get plenty of criticism and nobody is screaming cyber bullying over them.
Does any part of how he wrote it seem like a sincere suggestion? Her being angry doesn’t mean she has an “Anger Management Problem”, nor does he know anything about her mental health, and implying she has a problem she needs to address is mocking her. Again, do you think it’s an appropriate and kind thing for a 73 year old man to go out of his way to say to a teenage girl, rather than just disagree on the merits of her argument?

I’m not forgetting a thing - I’m asking you about whether Obama tweeting the same thing to Barron would be appropriate if Barron spoke publicly, emotionally and angrily, about the scrutiny and spotlight on his family. Being an activist doesn’t somehow mean she’s fair game for personal scrutiny from adults.
Locked Previous topicNext topic