Inappropriate attire for work? Or am I sexualizing a person?

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Found this story on reddit:

Nanny was wearing just a sports bra while at work. Dad comes home early and catches nanny in jeans and the sports bra. Nanny is sitting on the couch and quickly puts the shirt on

Dad is asked the normal questions like if the kid could have spit up on the shirt (no kids are 4 and 6 and in their rooms on their iPads) shirt was dry and seemed cleaned when nanny put it on

How was the temp in the house? He said 68 degrees

He fired the nanny.

I brought the story over to a nanny group I’m in and I said it was inappropriate for the nanny to be wearing just a sports bra and I had one lady tell me that I was sexualizing the nanny by saying it’s inappropriate.

So what do you think? Are sports bras only, as in not under a shirt, okay for a nanny to wear while at work?
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would really need more context. Like was she lounging around watching TV while the kids fend for themselves? Or were they outside running around for hours and she came in and was sitting down and resting for a minute to cool off?
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

caustib wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:48 am I would really need more context. Like was she lounging around watching TV while the kids fend for themselves? Or were they outside running around for hours and she came in and was sitting down and resting for a minute to cool off?
This right here.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't think I would ever remove my shirt at someone else's house barring pee, poop or barf. It's inappropriate. Would you do the same if you worked at Target? Walmart? Wall Street?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:42 am Found this story on reddit:

Nanny was wearing just a sports bra while at work. Dad comes home early and catches nanny in jeans and the sports bra. Nanny is sitting on the couch and quickly puts the shirt on

Dad is asked the normal questions like if the kid could have spit up on the shirt (no kids are 4 and 6 and in their rooms on their iPads) shirt was dry and seemed cleaned when nanny put it on

He fired the nanny.

I brought the story over to a nanny group I’m in and I said it was inappropriate for the nanny to be wearing just a sports bra and I had one lady tell me that I was sexualizing the nanny by saying it’s inappropriate.

So what do you think? Are sports bras only, as in not under a shirt, okay for a nanny to wear while at work?
I would have fired her also if she was running around my house in jeans and a bra/sports bra. If there arent infants in the house that could have vomited or projectile shit on her shirt, there is no reason to only be wearing a bra
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

caustib wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:48 am I would really need more context. Like was she lounging around watching TV while the kids fend for themselves? Or were they outside running around for hours and she came in and was sitting down and resting for a minute to cool off?
She was sitting on the couch, she was doing laundry (not hers but the family’s)
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 am I don't think I would ever remove my shirt at someone else's house barring pee, poop or barf. It's inappropriate. Would you do the same if you worked at Target? Walmart? Wall Street?
I mentioned that as well, apparently that’s comparing apples to oranges 🤷🏻‍♀️
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 am
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:42 am Found this story on reddit:

He fired the nanny.

I would have fired her also if she was running around my house in jeans and a bra/sports bra. If there arent infants in the house that could have vomited or projectile shit on her shirt, there is no reason to only be wearing a bra

That’s how I see it too. I’ve been a nanny for 15 years and I have found myself with poop and spit up on me and even then I’ve never gone around someone else’s house in just a sports bra.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 am
This right here.

Nanny was apparently doing laundry. I’m assuming because dad said she was on the couch that the nanny was folding clothes though of course I don’t know for sure if that’s what she was doing.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't think it has anything to do with "sexualizing". It's just social norms, unless you are in aerobics or spin class OR long distance running, a sports bra is not really appropriate attire. I want my child's caregiver to mimic the social norms of our community and our family, we don't really walk around shirtless, so yea...so my motive is NOT, "omgeee, she was flaunting off her chest for the male of the house, I gotta fire her." -- That's sexualizing!

With that said, if she was a good nanny, I would coach her on the topic, I don't see it as termination worthy. There would have had to be far more instances of poor judgement other than that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic