Those who do a frugal Christmas

Anonymous 9

Unread post

You come off bitchy in your post I'm not sure why you have a problem with posters noticing.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This response made my heart smile.
Pjmm wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:48 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:20 pm My kids have oranges in the fridge every day. This would seem like such a weird thing for them on Xmas morning. :lol:
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 pm I see Keith Haring AND a red panda. I think your 3 year old and I must be kindred spirits. :D

Do you just leave the stockings somewhat empty? When I fill a stocking, I REALLY fill it. Maybe that's part of my problem. (Nevermind, skipped over the part about the oranges and chocolates, I see it now!)

My father used to be pleased to see an orange in his stocking he said. It's traditional and it also was in the days where they weren't so readily available in winter.
I should put some in a stocking for him.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm ok spending the money on a good quality gift. I hate buying a bunch of stuff that will be donated or thrown out within the month or two, which is what I used to do. I also like buying things they will use up. I try to shop early and shop sales.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Hmm. 🤔 You're the first one who has said anything like that.
Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 am You come off bitchy in your post I'm not sure why you have a problem with posters noticing.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:01 am Hmm. 🤔 You're the first one who has said anything like that.
Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 am You come off bitchy in your post I'm not sure why you have a problem with posters noticing.
I don't think so
Anonymous 10

Unread post

If my kids ask for a bigger item that is a hundred or more, than they will get that one item and a few other smaller items and their stockings and that's about it. This is the 1st year they will be getting more but still not as much as some of their friends. If I had to guess, I would say we will be spending over 300 on DS and less than that on DD because she didn't ask for any big ticket item.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Currently, I shop year round, but this might be the last year I can do that for DD, but we'll see.

I set a budget in January for each kid. I shop year round, and shop lots of clearance sales. For stocking stuffers, I usually hit up the dollar tree and the target dollar spot (I think it's called bullseyes playground now). As the kids get older I'll have to adjust what I do, I'm sure but I'm able to provide a decent Christmas for my kids without going broke too.

I will say places like 5 below are really upping their gift game, and you can find stuff for older kids/teens there too if you want to do something but have a small budget.
Beachbrat
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:01 am Hmm. 🤔 You're the first one who has said anything like that.
I don't think so
But you are.... Nothing in post says bitchy. Maybe you need a break from the internet or just this site.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

OBXPrincess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am

I don't think so
But you are.... Nothing in post says bitchy. Maybe you need a break from the internet or just this site.
We all have different opinions. Maybe you need a break.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This year the biggest single item I am buying for my kids is a Nintendo Switch for youngest that I am getting refurbished for $249. That's actually a lot for me to spend on one item.

If I needed to do it really cheap? Well, my oldest is into HO Scale model trains. The engines for that can be spendy but rolling stock can be had for $15 a piece. I could get him 4 or 5 rolling stock and he would be happy as a clam. The youngest? He is into anything Mario & Luigi so t-shirts, socks, pillowcases, throw blankets - anything of that nature with Mario/Luigi on it would be fairly cheap and make him happy. They are both also into Wooden Thomas and if you stay away from the Thomas brand and do generic brand (which they like just as well) you can do toys pretty cheap.
And then stockings can be filled with candy, lip smackers, socks, etc.
If I really needed to and wanted to, I could do each kid including the stocking for no more than $100 each. I've done it in past years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic