Those who do a frugal Christmas

PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Here the girls get one thing you want, one thing you need, one thing to wear and one thing to read/

As an average example this is what my oldest is getting - WANT - wireless earbuds - 70
NEED - socks (she likes socks, this isn't a punishment)- 10
WEAR - a new robe - 24
READ - a book - 25
Her stocking has chocolate, tea she likes, a new journal, and hair things like elastics and bobby pins - I think I spent $20 total. So for her the grand total came to about $150.00

My youngest WANT - an easel - 50
NEED - new sketchbook and pencils - 15
WEAR- robe - 24
READ - a book - 20
Her stocking is pretty much filled with candy because she only asked for an easel and candy for Christmas. Grand total for her about 130.00

If you pick something up - stocking stuffer or not - ask yourself "will my child care about it in a week?" If the answer is probably not then don't buy it. Stocking stuffers are supposed to be little treats, not a sock filled with tiny expensive things.

I remember my daughter asking me once why other kids got boat loads of present at Christmas and they didn't. I told her that it was because giving people things just to show them you loved them was something that some people did but I showed them that I loved them by being with them. Instead of spending December running around buying presents we have movie nights, bake cookies, make presents to give to family members etc. Reducing spending isn't necessarily about being frugal but more about changing priorities.
Anonymous 11

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm I didn't ask why, I asked how.
Ilovemydaughter06 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:43 pm Because to some of us, it's not all about the presents & coming on here & bragging about how much we spent. To some of us it's more about making memories & spending time with loved ones.
Do you really not understand how? If you don't have money to spend its pretty simple. You buy what you can afford if that means one or two presents that's what you do. I don't see how this is confusing.. You buy less therfore spending less.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 11 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm I didn't ask why, I asked how.
Ilovemydaughter06 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:43 pm Because to some of us, it's not all about the presents & coming on here & bragging about how much we spent. To some of us it's more about making memories & spending time with loved ones.
Do you really not understand how? If you don't have money to spend its pretty simple. You buy what you can afford if that means one or two presents that's what you do. I don't see how this is confusing.. You buy less therfore spending less.
Common sense is not op strong suit.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 am That's very frugal, IMO! Great job!
I probably spend close to $50 just on one stocking. What sort of things do you stuff yours with?
mater-three wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:01 am I guess it depends on your definition of frugal. I bought my kids two gifts, pjs, and stocking stuffers. I spend $350 for 3 kids.

ETA: my children are 16, 18, and 23.
Eh cookies candy keychain you know. Nothing special. I generally buy dollar general candy and then something not edible.
Anonymous 12

Unread post

For stocking stuffers, I usually get them some cute socks (those take up a bit of space), candy, new charging cables for their tablets (they always need new ones), and a few small trinkets. Most of the items are less than $5 each, but are things they will use and enjoy.

Then they usually get one big-ticket item in the $100-150 range, and one smaller item in the $40-60 range. The rest is clothes, books, games or art supplies, depending on what they want.

They are 12 and 14.
PurpleTurtle
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I do a couple of things to keep Christmas spending under control:

-I get things my kids have asked for repeatedly, not what they ask for once.

-I stopped buying 'stuff' just for the sake of having more gifts; especially cheap garbage toys. It was hard the first year but now the gifts they get are used instead of collecting dust or being donated after being played with once or twice.

-I shop throughout the year if I see something on sale that I know someone will like - I've had my MIL and a few other gifts since March.

-I buy used books and video games for the kids. My kids couldn't care less if those are new. I got dd 7 books she wants for under $17 and 6 video games for ds for under $30.

-We don't do specific 'stocking stuffer' gifts. Whatever is small enough to fit is what goes into the stockings. It helps keep little things from getting lost under the tree. It also prevents us from buying stuff just for filler.

-I keep a spreadsheet of what I've bought, for whom, and how much it cost. When it's all spelled out it makes it easier for me to see what I've already bought and how much I've spent on each person so it's easier to stay on budget.
Beachbrat
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 am
OBXPrincess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am
I don't think so
But you are.... Nothing in post says bitchy. Maybe you need a break from the internet or just this site.
We all have different opinions. Maybe you need a break.
Naw sweetie. You're the one coming in here telling the OP she sounds bitchy when no where in this thread is she bitchy. Maybe you need to just keep scrolling instead of trying to find or create drama. And stop hiding being that anonymous button for the sake of being a bitch yourself
Anonymous 9

Unread post

OBXPrincess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:26 pm
OBXPrincess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 am

But you are.... Nothing in post says bitchy. Maybe you need a break from the internet or just this site.
Naw sweetie. You're the one coming in here telling the OP she sounds bitchy when no where in this thread is she bitchy. Maybe you need to just keep scrolling instead of trying to find or create drama. And stop hiding being that anonymous button for the sake of being a bitch yourself
Haha

You should take a break you're way too invested.
Beachbrat
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Haha

2-3 comments is invested hahaha you're so ignorant it's funny thanks for the laugh anonymous. Have fun with your ridiculous life. 👋👋👋
Anonymous 9

Unread post

OBXPrincess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Anonymous 9 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Haha

2-3 comments is invested hahaha you're so ignorant it's funny thanks for the laugh anonymous. Have fun with your ridiculous life. 👋👋👋
Thank you. I feel special.
Locked Previous topicNext topic