When someone does something S/O

Anonymous 1

Unread post

that annoys you/offends you/rubs you the wrong way, how does that truly affect your life when it's a very small thing? Like the baked potato post. I'm not the one that wrote that, but it seems that some of the people that responded get very riled up about someone bringing their own side dish. What about that is so wrong and offensive? How does that affect your life in a negative way?

In my family, some people bring their own drinks if they want something specific. I started to see that my uncle would always bring his own Mountain Dew and he did not share with anyone. This did not offend me. And sometimes I even buy some Mountain Dew to have on hand now for him if I know he is coming over. I think that's just a nice extra step in being a good host. But I know that is not necessary. So it doesn't bother me that he arrives with his own Mountain Dew for himself. I have other examples of people bringing their own items as well. But I just truly wonder if you would get offended by something like this, how does it affect your life? What about this is so offensive?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

If you read through that post you'll see she wont eat any of the food provided by the hostess. Imo that goes beyond bringing herself a side.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m not easily offended. If you like, need, want a specific item and want to bring it to a dinner.. knock yourself out.

I need to find the potatoes post.. it just can’t be that serious.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That's not true. I read the whole post. So, answer the question if you will...if it did annoy you that someone brought one item for themselves, how would that affect your life?
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:21 am If you read through that post you'll see she wont eat any of the food provided by the hostess. Imo that goes beyond bringing herself a side.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I think it's called she seemed offended or something like that. It has a lot of responses so you can look for it that way too! LOL!
Inmybizz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am I’m not easily offended. If you like, need, want a specific item and want to bring it to a dinner.. knock yourself out.

I need to find the potatoes post.. it just can’t be that serious.
Donnie
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It would not annoy me, but there are people that it would annoy, like her mil and my Dad’s gf.

It is what it is.

We don’t get to decide what annoys others. But we do get to decide whether to be nice or annoying. So, it all balances out.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:28 am That's not true. I read the whole post. So, answer the question if you will...if it did annoy you that someone brought one item for themselves, how would that affect your life?
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:21 am If you read through that post you'll see she wont eat any of the food provided by the hostess. Imo that goes beyond bringing herself a side.
If you read the whole post she clearly says she would pick at the food she did like or wouldn't eat anything at all. It's not her bringing a stupid potato that would bother me it's her overall ridiculous attitude of I'm not going to eat anything if I don't get my baked potato.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Honestly what bothers me about these posts is when the op complains about a stubborn sil/mil/mom. And I'm sitting there thinking OP... you're no better. Don't you see you're just as stubborn? I mean if your thanksgiving is so ruined by the lack of a baked potato or the inability to open gifts when you want perhaps you should-Idk- contemplate if you have issues you should address. I also can't understand if I can discuss with a vegetarian the holiday meal and come to a workable compromise why others can't do the same.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

What would your dad's gf do? Would she say something or just act a certain way? For me, I think people that get easily offended about little things probably have something within themselves that bothers them and it's probably more about themselves than the actual person that is annoying them.
Donnie wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:35 am It would not annoy me, but there are people that it would annoy, like her mil and my Dad’s gf.

It is what it is.

We don’t get to decide what annoys others. But we do get to decide whether to be nice or annoying. So, it all balances out.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

To me, it sounded like she was just venting on here, but didn't say anything to her MIL about it. She just simply brought her own potato and didn't understand why that was offensive.
Pjmm wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:37 am Honestly what bothers me about these posts is when the op complains about a stubborn sil/mil/mom. And I'm sitting there thinking OP... you're no better. Don't you see you're just as stubborn? I mean if your thanksgiving is so ruined by the lack of a baked potato or the inability to open gifts when you want perhaps you should-Idk- contemplate if you have issues you should address. I also can't understand if I can discuss with a vegetarian the holiday meal and come to a workable compromise why others can't do the same.
Locked Previous topicNext topic