'Designer Babies'

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:28 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:22 am Autism is not a single gene disorder in majority of cases.

It is likely polygenetic in nature (meaning multiple genes) and then with specific epigenetic influences (environmental impact which turns certain genes on or off).

They do not have the techniques to prevent disease like this at that time. It is far more complex, than editing a few genes. But I am all for editing to cure single gene disorders. That would be awesome.

it hasn't even been established it is in fact, genetic. If it were, the race would be on to 'eliminate' the cause of the gene disorder. No such talk has taken place - at all.

Autism is not a 'disease'.
I really do not understand your response to me.

Every single neural pathway that is built, every protein that is made, every neurotransmitter produced is coded by our genes...so in fact, every biological thing about us, including the brain structures & neural connectivity involved in ASD, is/are determined by genes and epigenetics. There are numerous published studies which suggest ASD is caused by epigenetic and multiple polygenic variants.

I called autism a disorder, which exactly what it is, and there is a race to understand, including multiple research teams looking at genetic/epigenetic variants.
But from what i understand high functioning people with autism don't call it a disorder. Like our friend he says this is simply who I am. I can understand a parent with a low functioning child wanting the cure and God knows I would. I would want to remove the person's suffering. But I'm not sure everyone thinks of autism as a "disorder". If so then all of humanity has it.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Pjmm wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 am

it hasn't even been established it is in fact, genetic. If it were, the race would be on to 'eliminate' the cause of the gene disorder. No such talk has taken place - at all.

Every single neural pathway that is built, every protein that is made, every neurotransmitter produced is coded by our genes...so in fact, every biological thing about us, including the brain structures & neural connectivity involved in ASD, is/are determined by genes and epigenetics. There are numerous published studies which suggest ASD is caused by epigenetic and multiple polygenic variants.

I called autism a disorder, which exactly what it is, and there is a race to understand, including multiple research teams looking at genetic/epigenetic variants.
But from what i understand high functioning people with autism don't call it a disorder. Like our friend he says this is simply who I am. I can understand a parent with a low functioning child wanting the cure and God knows I would. I would want to remove the person's suffering. But I'm not sure everyone thinks of autism as a "disorder". If so then all of humanity has it.
My son has it. I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone. The things he goes through, the things he feels, the way he interprets things are different. He knows he is different, but he only knows what he knows. Why would they consider it a disorder if it makes him the way he is?
Anonymous 3

Most of humanity does not have high functioning autism and most people with high functioning autism would not change themselves because that is literally all they know and their loved ones would likely say they wouldn't change anything about them because changing them would be saying they would like to replace them. I sure no one gets pregnant and hope their child is a high functioning autistic.
Deleted User 172

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:55 am I can’t be the only one that finds this creepy as f**k.
No you're not the only one.
It's creepy as f**k.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

I understand this. And thanks for sharing this perspective, Some people with Down Syndrome also do not like to be labeled as having a chromosomal disorder as well.

But in reality, wether they prefer the nomenclature or not, from a medical research standpoint, it is a disorder, and despite the fortunate experience of your friend, thousands of people have persistent deficits in social communication, social interaction, and repetitive patterns of behavior. It is costly to the healthcare system as early intervention (completely worth it) is still expensive and time consuming & for many they face situations lifelong where social demands exceed their limited capabilities — so it does indeed impact their emotional well-being and opportunities in life.

I admire people who find meaning in the situation that has happened to them & turn it into an advantage for their life, but I think it is selfish trait to suggest that everyone or every parent with a child, who has this presentation at more severe ends of the spectrum should be forced to embrace it as “normal”.

We can debate all day about terms— differently abled, disabled, impaired, etc. but at the end of day, I cannot see how anyone would not want to fight & lobby for research to improve the quality of life for children and parents with developmental “differences” and this includes ASD.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:55 am I can’t be the only one that finds this creepy as f**k.
Nope I think it's really disturbing. It sounds like a science fiction movie that ends up going horribly wrong.
Anonymous 1

suppose this 'designer baby' doesn't fulfill its obilgation of being defect free? Do the parents get to sue the dr?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 am

I understand this. And thanks for sharing this perspective, Some people with Down Syndrome also do not like to be labeled as having a chromosomal disorder as well.

But in reality, wether they prefer the nomenclature or not, from a medical research standpoint, it is a disorder, and despite the fortunate experience of your friend, thousands of people have persistent deficits in social communication, social interaction, and repetitive patterns of behavior. It is costly to the healthcare system as early intervention (completely worth it) is still expensive and time consuming & for many they face situations lifelong where social demands exceed their limited capabilities — so it does indeed impact their emotional well-being and opportunities in life.

I admire people who find meaning in the situation that has happened to them & turn it into an advantage for their life, but I think it is selfish trait to suggest that everyone or every parent with a child, who has this presentation at more severe ends of the spectrum should be forced to embrace it as “normal”.

We can debate all day about terms— differently abled, disabled, impaired, etc. but at the end of day, I cannot see how anyone would not want to fight & lobby for research to improve the quality of life for children and parents with developmental “differences” and this includes ASD.
I can't say. I don't have autism. I do think everyone is on the spectrum to a degree. Yds has shown behaviors that caused people to believe he should be tested- but he doesn't have autism. He has speech apraxia. I've banged my head against a wall before or withdrew. Animals and children suffering from severe isolation can have autistic like behaviors. So while I would look to relieve suffering I believe autism is so complicated that we have to be careful if we're discussing gene modification. It will benefit no one if we do more harm than good.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

jas wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 am

My son has it. I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone. The things he goes through, the things he feels, the way he interprets things are different. He knows he is different, but he only knows what he knows. Why would they consider it a disorder if it makes him the way he is?
I can only tell you what I've been told no more no less. I don't have autism. I understand relieving suffering but designer babies really worries me. It's like opening Pandora's box. Change one gene and what damage could we do? Idk but we need to think all this through that's all.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 am suppose this 'designer baby' doesn't fulfill its obilgation of being defect free? Do the parents get to sue the dr?
I can see it now... this child was bred a genius. Can't get along socially with us non genius people and sues his or hers parents for condemning them to a life of loneliness and high expectations that they want nothing to do with. After all just because you're smart means nothing. Yds is smart but you can't breed in say motivation to get good grades. That has to come from maturity and strength of character. I'd sooner have an average kid that works his ass off and is happy in a mediocre job than a miserable genius ass.
Locked Previous topicNext topic