Too old to go back to school

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I've been on disability for about 8 years for my mental health problems. I think I'm getting to the point where I want to go to school for nursing maybe and get a job and get off disability. I figured while I'm on disability it would be a great time to go back. But is it too late for me. I will be 35 next week. I am nervous about getting g back out there. I havent worked in over 11 years. But my mental health finally feels better. I think. Right now I stay home with my kids. The older 2 are in school they are 15 and 11 and I'm home with my son he will be 3 in January. Also thought by the time I finish school he will be in school and I can work while hes in school and then he can go to daycare.

I dont know where to start
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's never too late to go back to school, if it's what you want to do. You could also do online courses, if going to a brick and mortar location doesn't quite fit your schedule. You can do this!
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:36 pm I've been on disability for about 8 years for my mental health problems. I think I'm getting to the point where I want to go to school for nursing maybe and get a job and get off disability. I figured while I'm on disability it would be a great time to go back. But is it too late for me. I will be 35 next week. I am nervous about getting g back out there. I havent worked in over 11 years. But my mental health finally feels better. I think. Right now I stay home with my kids. The older 2 are in school they are 15 and 11 and I'm home with my son he will be 3 in January. Also thought by the time I finish school he will be in school and I can work while hes in school and then he can go to daycare.

I dont know where to start
The only time you are too old to go back to school is if you are dead and buried.
DD has told me numerous times that there are 60 to 80 year old people taking classes in her college. If they can do it, surely a 35 year old can do it.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Oh, please. My daughter put herself through nursing school and earned her degree while taking care of two infants, one of whom was born while she was still in school. And in her class was a 67-year-old woman. Stop making excuses and go do it.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You are never too old. My grandfather in his 80s is currently taking courses. Keep in mind though that nursing can require working weekends, nights, etc. so you might not be able to stick to just working when your son is in school.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm It's never too late to go back to school, if it's what you want to do. You could also do online courses, if going to a brick and mortar location doesn't quite fit your schedule. You can do this!
You can do nursing school online?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My coworker is at least 60 and is in school to be a nurse.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:49 pm You are never too old. My grandfather in his 80s is currently taking courses. Keep in mind though that nursing can require working weekends, nights, etc. so you might not be able to stick to just working when your son is in school.
His dad is off on nights and weekends and can watch him
Also, my 15 year old dd is great with him and shes been asking for a job. I can pay her to babysit
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:56 pm
californiagirl83 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm It's never too late to go back to school, if it's what you want to do. You could also do online courses, if going to a brick and mortar location doesn't quite fit your schedule. You can do this!
Not completely. You'll still need to arrange clinical hours, but the majority of the courses can be done online.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:56 pm
Not completely. You'll still need to arrange clinical hours, but the majority of the courses can be done online.

Ok, I'm getting excited. I found one of the hospitals in my area has a nursing program. I wouldnt be able to do RN because it requires some high school credits in classes I never took. But I can do the LPN course. And they have night and weekend classes. And it takes about 15 months to complete. So I'm going to talk to my dh and see what he thinks. I'm so nervous. But I'm tired of doing nothing and I could help so much more if I had a job.
Locked Previous topicNext topic