Tumbling good for overweight kids?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My dd10 is heavy for her age so we want to sign her up for something that will keep her active. She's very sedentary at the moment and her ped thinks that's contributing to her weight. We were thinking tumbling/gymnastics, but DH says it might not be a good sport for a heavier girl like her.

Does anyone have experience? I'm inclined to think it'll be fine, but I guess she might have trouble with some stuff that the lighter girls find very easy, which could be demotivating.
lucydowning101
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 am My dd10 is heavy for her age so we want to sign her up for something that will keep her active. She's very sedentary at the moment and her ped thinks that's contributing to her weight. We were thinking tumbling/gymnastics, but DH says it might not be a good sport for a heavier girl like her.

Does anyone have experience? I'm inclined to think it'll be fine, but I guess she might have trouble with some stuff that the lighter girls find very easy, which could be demotivating.
Depends on how overweight she is, really. I wouldn't have though it's the best activity for a very heavy girl.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I think it depends on her personality. Is she one to compare herself to others or is she just happy with her own achievements?
Deleted User 1461

Unread post

I guess it could help but the answer to overweight kids is their diet.
Small healthy meals at home. No fast foods.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am I think it depends on her personality. Is she one to compare herself to others or is she just happy with her own achievements?
She can be a bit competitive. I do think it might frustrate her if everyone else was finding it easier than her and she couldn't keep up.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Activity is going to be good. Coupling *any* activity with a well rounded healthy way of eating is going to help. Neither of mine are into gymnastics. They are into martial arts and it is a great workout. It helps with self esteem, discipline, self control, balance, flexibility, speed, etc. I always recommend martial arts for kids. Besides getting all of the previous benefits, they will reap the benefits of learning self defense as well.
Good luck finding something she enjoys!
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

GMa4all wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am I guess it could help but the answer to overweight kids is their diet.
Small healthy meals at home. No fast foods.
We are trying to address her diet as well. She has a big appetite so it's pretty tricky!
The ped seemed to think that getting her a little more active will help. She's a huge couch potato and we've probably let her get away with it too much. At the moment the only exercise she gets is gym class at school, so anything's an improvement!
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Depending on how heavy might not be a good idea bone and joint wise. Marshal arts? It works on flexibility, keeps you moving, you get some cardio and it's not very hard on the joints to begin with. Plus it's a good confidence booster.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am Activity is going to be good. Coupling *any* activity with a well rounded healthy way of eating is going to help. Neither of mine are into gymnastics. They are into martial arts and it is a great workout. It helps with self esteem, discipline, self control, balance, flexibility, speed, etc. I always recommend martial arts for kids. Besides getting all of the previous benefits, they will reap the benefits of learning self defense as well.
LOL
I responded with the same thing before I saw yours. I wasn't copying! I swear! :)
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Copycat!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 am
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am Activity is going to be good. Coupling *any* activity with a well rounded healthy way of eating is going to help. Neither of mine are into gymnastics. They are into martial arts and it is a great workout. It helps with self esteem, discipline, self control, balance, flexibility, speed, etc. I always recommend martial arts for kids. Besides getting all of the previous benefits, they will reap the benefits of learning self defense as well.
LOL
I responded with the same thing before I saw yours. I wasn't copying! I swear! :)
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic