The Worst Parenting Practices From The Past

CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

GMa4all wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:24 pm
Msprekteacher wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:05 pm There is a photo of my Mom holding my 3 week old sister feeding her baby food. She was aghast when we didn’t do the same and instead waited for the pediatrician to advise when to start. Of course when I’m a grandmother I too will think the “new way” is odd because “back in my day”...
All our pediatricians recommended feeding babies strained baby food at a few months because then they would sleep well. Nobody can sleep with an empty , growling tummy. They don’t sleep well if they are only breastfed. If they’re hungry and can’t sleep , then they are crabby during the day .
The new modern theory is hard on babies and their moms! But things will change...!
I didn't feed my babies until they were five months old and wantes food. I breastfed them. They would wake up for 10 minutes to nurse and be back to sleep. Not a big deal for any of us. They were happy, chubby babies. I did just like my mom did with her kids.
Turkle
Countess
Countess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:02 pm I have a Dr. Spock book about pregnancy and child rearing from the 40's-60's. It talks about how if a expectant mom has had a hard day. She should grab a smoke, and fix herself a cocktail.
I strongly suspect that is exactly what me late sainted mum did when she was carrying me.

She worked at the time and smoked cigarettes and liked her gin and tonics.
"Prison inmates are treated to cable TV, hot meals and a college education, while on the outside some people can only afford these things through a life of crime."
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:42 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:15 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:11 pm

My mother lived and breathe by Dr.Spock. She gave me that book 25 years ago when I was pregnant with my first.....What a quack
Hubby found the book at MIL's back in the early 90's. We just thought the advice was hilarious.
Thanks for the well wishes. I do hope it comes soon. Poor Sprite she is 42 weeks Wednesday and is feeling poorly. She is hiding at my home for the day because her mother I driving her mad
Aww poor thing. Those final days/weeks can be rough.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Turkle
Countess
Countess

Unread post

My mother lived and breathe by Dr.Spock. She gave me that book 25 years ago when I was pregnant with my first.....What a quack
Hubby found the book at MIL's back in the early 90's. We just thought the advice was hilarious.
Thanks for the well wishes. I do hope it comes soon. Poor Sprite she is 42 weeks Wednesday and is feeling poorly. She is hiding at my home for the day because her mother I driving her mad
Best wishes to Sprite and let's hope for a safe, speedy and healthy birth. :)
"Prison inmates are treated to cable TV, hot meals and a college education, while on the outside some people can only afford these things through a life of crime."
Turkle
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Best wishes to Sprite and let's hope for a safe, speedy and healthy birth. :)
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Turkle wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:23 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:02 pm I have a Dr. Spock book about pregnancy and child rearing from the 40's-60's. It talks about how if a expectant mom has had a hard day. She should grab a smoke, and fix herself a cocktail.
I strongly suspect that is exactly what me late sainted mum did when she was carrying me.

Pretty common practice for those eras.

Turkle
Countess
Countess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 pm

My late sainted father used to sit beside me at the supper table, and if he felt that I verbally disrespected my mother, he'd give me a hard clop on my right ear with his fist. It would set my ear ringing, I tell you.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Turkle wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 pm

My late sainted father used to sit beside me at the supper table, and if he felt that I verbally disrespected my mother, he'd give me a hard clop on my right ear with his fist. It would set my ear ringing, I tell you.
Yikes. I remember stuff like that too while growing up.

Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not all are bad.
Deleted User 1461

Unread post

Turkle wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Oh my goodness
I’m sorry
Locked Previous topicNext topic