Tumbling good for overweight kids?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, it could be good as long as its something she is interested in. She may have more trouble than a lighter child, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't do it just because she may have to work harder. But, if she needs to get to a healthier weight, one tumbling class a week won't really be enough. It's important for all people, especially children, to have daily exercise. I'd start daily walks or bike rides with the whole family, so she is getting exercise in between tumbling classes. A healthy diet is also an important component.
Deleted User 1461

Unread post

When I was a kid, I was thin but almost totally inactive! Lol. I didn’t like sports.
I read a lot, sketched , did various artwork, knitted, etc and once in a while played hopscotch or rode my bike.
We just didn’t overeat in our house.
After I married and had kids, I cooked small healthy meals and my kids were slim too.
Eventually they played soccer and tennis in school but I don’t think they were slim because they were active before high school.
I truly believe a healthy diet is the answer!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Another thought a lot of places offer a free trial class. Why not let her try some things then decide what she likes?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

If she's not used to doing much at all, she might need to work up to something like that. She might be fine, but I'd worry about pushing her too hard too quickly, especially if she's not very enthusiastic about it to begin with.

I'd probably start out by taking family walks in the evenings. It would be a nice low pressure activity that you could do together, and you could gradually increase the difficulty as her stamina improves.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:41 pm If she's not used to doing much at all, she might need to work up to something like that. She might be fine, but I'd worry about pushing her too hard too quickly, especially if she's not very enthusiastic about it to begin with.

I'd probably start out by taking family walks in the evenings. It would be a nice low pressure activity that you could do together, and you could gradually increase the difficulty as her stamina improves.
This was my thought too. You don't want to jump into something that's going to be to much for her, so maybe start slow and work your way up to other more strenuous activities.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 am My dd10 is heavy for her age so we want to sign her up for something that will keep her active. She's very sedentary at the moment and her ped thinks that's contributing to her weight. We were thinking tumbling/gymnastics, but DH says it might not be a good sport for a heavier girl like her.

Does anyone have experience? I'm inclined to think it'll be fine, but I guess she might have trouble with some stuff that the lighter girls find very easy, which could be demotivating.
How overweight are we talking about? 5, 10 or 15 pounds would be okay but if she is morbidly obese, can she even roll on the floor or do a hand stand, cartwheel?
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anything that gets her moving is a step in the right direction.

Take her bowling.
Get a ping pong/air hockey table.
Take nightly walks.
Anytime she's in the car with you, park further away than you usually would.
Go shopping.
Go visits local farms.
Visit museums/science centers.
Go to local high school plays.
Take a healthy cooking class.
Take a ceramics class
etc.,

Let her pick something new every week. The point is...Just get her moving. Once she has been exposed to a bunch of different things, maybe she'll find an interest in something. :)
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Dance would be better.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

If she’s involved in a physical activity, make sure she doesn’t go back home and get a snack — that will wipe out the benefit of the exercising! That happens way too often. Water is necessary, but more calories are not.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I think tennis is a good sport for kids that aren’t naturally athletically inclined.
Locked Previous topicNext topic