Do you feel this is excessive?

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Sorry...but this doesn't seem out of the ordinary for theater.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 am My daughter is in theater. They are preparing for a show. The last month they have been at school until 7 or 8. The next two weeks is scheduled for 9 which really means 9:30-10. Most of these kids are also in advanced classes, have jobs, and do other things outside of school. They are also scheduled to be at school 7-7 on Saturday and 12-5 on Sunday.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My daughter was in the theater in middle and high school. Her middle school rehearsals were like that but the high school one only had a couple of weeks leading up to the show with late nights and a couple of weekend rehearsals. The only difference was in high school the teacher/director knew what he was doing and wasn't an anal/retentive bitch who thought she knew what she was doing like her middle school theater director.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It sounds like theater. Especially if it's getting close to the show date.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nope. I went to a performing arts school and this was pretty normal during rehearsals and performances. And, yes, most of us also had jobs and were in AP classes.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 am My daughter is in theater. They are preparing for a show. The last month they have been at school until 7 or 8. The next two weeks is scheduled for 9 which really means 9:30-10. Most of these kids are also in advanced classes, have jobs, and do other things outside of school. They are also scheduled to be at school 7-7 on Saturday and 12-5 on Sunday.
No. Theatre presentations take a lot of work and rehearsal.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not necessarily. And like another said, unless your DD has a lead role that is pretty much always on stage, there should be down time for her during rehearsals when they are working on scenes that she is not in. That's when she should be sitting back stage working on her homework. If she's spending that time instead gabbing with others, then that's on her. Prime multitasking lesson.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, that sounds pretty typical for theater. Putting on a quality production is a lot of work and commitment. If she has other commitments more important to her that she needs that time for, maybe theater isn't the best choice.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:44 pm Not necessarily. And like another said, unless your DD has a lead role that is pretty much always on stage, there should be down time for her during rehearsals when they are working on scenes that she is not in. That's when she should be sitting back stage working on her homework. If she's spending that time instead gabbing with others, then that's on her. Prime multitasking lesson.
if you have downtime between scenes you aren't in you should be:
1. running lines
2. building sets
3. making props
4. managing costumes
5. setting the light board
6. or watching the scene being rehearsed so you don't make the same mistakes they do

my director would have kicked your ass out if you weren't being productive toward the show during rehearsal time
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:27 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:44 pm Not necessarily. And like another said, unless your DD has a lead role that is pretty much always on stage, there should be down time for her during rehearsals when they are working on scenes that she is not in. That's when she should be sitting back stage working on her homework. If she's spending that time instead gabbing with others, then that's on her. Prime multitasking lesson.
1. running lines
2. building sets
3. making props
4. managing costumes
6. or watching the scene being rehearsed so you don't make the same mistakes they do

my director would have kicked your ass out if you weren't being productive toward the show during rehearsal time
I guess it depends on the director then. I have experience with community theatre, not so much school theatre.
In our theatre sets, props, costumes, etc are all done at completely different times than rehearsal. Rehearsal time is literally just rehearsal so the only points that would potentially apply are #1 and #6.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Our HS has crews for those specific areas (2-5) that you mentioned. During rehearsals, the kids knew when they were to be totally focused on a scene and when they were permitted to do classwork.
mojogirl wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:27 pm
1. running lines
2. building sets
3. making props
4. managing costumes

Locked Previous topicNext topic