After more than $18,000 I am finally not a US citizen

Anonymous 1

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:17 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm
Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Good one less entitled snowflake assuming they should always benefit from paying taxes that they rightfully owed
I should have never owed them. And yes you should benefit from the taxes you pay.
Why?

Because you don’t think you should have?

Did your parents not do some research or something? Why do you think you’d be entitled to not paying taxes?
It is not normal to pay taxes to a country you dont live in. As far as I know it is only the US that does that. My parents did not know that. They had no problem giving up their citizenships more than 20 years ago .

Why should you have to pay taxes to somewhere you have never been? Please explain that to me.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:19 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm

I should have never owed them. And yes you should benefit from the taxes you pay.
Why?

Did your parents not do some research or something? Why do you think you’d be entitled to not paying taxes?
It is not normal to pay taxes to a country you dont live in. As far as I know it is only the US that does that. My parents did not know that. They had no problem giving up their citizenships more than 20 years ago .

Why should you have to pay taxes to somewhere you have never been? Please explain that to me.
Because you are a citizen. You choose not to live here, but the way the US sees it, that’s just your choice and doesn’t excuse you from not paying taxes to a country IN WHICH YOU ARE A CITIZEN. When I choose to send my kids to private school, I still pay taxes that fund local public schools. That’s kind if the way it works, you don’t nearly get to pick and choose. No, the US is not the only country that charges its citizens taxes even if they live abroad.

Your anger is misdirected here. Like I said originally, take it up with your parents. Its a foreseeable consequence that they should have taken into consideration, and it was foolish to assume that governmental procedures wouldn’t change over decades. They knew you’d owe taxes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:26 pm

Why?

Because you are a citizen. You choose not to live here, but the way the US sees it, that’s just your choice and doesn’t excuse you from not paying taxes to a country IN WHICH YOU ARE A CITIZEN. When I choose to send my kids to private school, I still pay taxes that fund local public schools. That’s kind if the way it works, you don’t nearly get to pick and choose. No, the US is not the only country that charges its citizens taxes even if they live abroad.

Your anger is misdirected here. Like I said originally, take it up with your parents. Its a foreseeable consequence that they should have taken into consideration, and it was foolish to assume that governmental procedures wouldn’t change over decades.
No it was not forseeable. They could have never known it would be so hard to give up citizenship. It was not like that in the past.

I did not have a choice in the matter. None of it makes it okay what the US does.

Name some other countries that charge people living in other countries. I would love to hear which other ones do it.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Your anger is misdirected here. Like I said originally, take it up with your parents. Its a foreseeable consequence that they should have taken into consideration, and it was foolish to assume that governmental procedures wouldn’t change over decades.
No it was not forseeable. They could have never known it would be so hard to give up citizenship. It was not like that in the past.

I did not have a choice in the matter. None of it makes it okay what the US does.

Name some other countries that charge people living in other countries. I would love to hear which other ones do it.
The other is Eritrea, though many other countries selectively tax.

I didn’t have a choice in a lot of things about my childhood, but I’m not whining about it;) lol. Guess that’s the difference between us.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm

The other is Eritrea, though many other countries selectively tax.

I didn’t have a choice in a lot of things about my childhood, but I’m not whining about it;) lol. Guess that’s the difference between us.
Do you honestly think it is okay for the US to deny someone the ability to renounce their citizenship? How do you justify that?
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Your anger is displaced. Your parents made the choice to apply for your US citizenship. This is on them. If they made the decision to do that without thoroughly researching first, that too is on them.

What country did they receive their education from?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm I am so excited to no longer be part of such a fucked up place. No one should have to pay that much to give up citizenship, especially when they never had the choice in being a citizen there in the first place.

That money doesn't even count all the taxes I paid that I never benefited from.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm Your anger is displaced. Your parents made the choice to apply for your US citizenship. This is on them. If they made the decision to do that without thoroughly researching first, that too is on them.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:25 pm I am so excited to no longer be part of such a fucked up place. No one should have to pay that much to give up citizenship, especially when they never had the choice in being a citizen there in the first place.

The US. They did research things have changed a lot since I was born. They could have never predicted that the US would start being this way. They didnt use to charge nearly as much or deny people over and over for no reason.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I asked a dual British citizen about the USA tax. His answer was complicated but in his mind it wasn't so bad that he felt he had to give up his US citizen ship. Now if you want to that's fine and if you think we're fucked up I don't disagree. In my mind we got the government we wanted. Now we either fix that or tolerate it. I would think we can't be that screwed up considering people risk their very lives trying to get here and have for the past what hundred years? You should also set foot in the country you're a citizen of before you decide to leave it. Jmho.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Laws constantly change. They made the decision. Accept that and be happy wherever you are.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm
Anonymous 10 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm Your anger is displaced. Your parents made the choice to apply for your US citizenship. This is on them. If they made the decision to do that without thoroughly researching first, that too is on them.

The US. They did research things have changed a lot since I was born. They could have never predicted that the US would start being this way. They didnt use to charge nearly as much or deny people over and over for no reason.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. But since America is one of the handful of countries that taxes its citizens living abroad, of course its going to make giving up citizenship hard and expensive.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:29 pm It's fucked up that Congress has made it that hard to give up your citizenship. It shouldn't cost any more than the fee required to process the paperwork.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic