Trump complaint equating impeachment inquiry to ‘lynching’ infuriates black Texas lawmakers

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 pm I hate that term. There were so many better ways to describe the numerous Benghazi trials. It was not a "lynching", high tech or any other way.
29again wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:17 pm It is just as valid from Trump today as it was from every democrat who defended Clinton back in the 90's, and as it was from CNN who claimed that HRC was getting a "high-tech lynching" over Benghazi. I will agree that maybe this is not the best phrase to use, but you can't allow it to be used by one group of people, and then later on decide amongst yourselves that you don't like it when someone else uses it. Not trying to use "whataboutism" it's just what it IS. The phrase has been used over and over and over with NO backlash whatsoever. But yeah, orange man bad, so he can't say what politicians and the media have been saying for decades......

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 am “Concentration camp” also doesn’t belong to Jews since there have been many concentration camps for all kinds of prisoners around the world. However, you can’t deny that if a

But since you brought in the definitions, please explain how a completely legal and justified investigation and prosecution compares to “lynching”. How is Trump’s comparison any valid?

I don’t care for the term either.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

29again wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:06 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 am
29again wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 pm Hmmmm. I went and looked this up, because some members seem to think that lynchings only "belong" to a certain demographic. So, checking "lynching meaning" brings up quite a number of dictionary and vocabulary sites, and none of them use a race in defining lynching.

No race owns the term, it is not solely applicable to one race. By the definition, yes, Trump is quite right on this.
True, many people of all races were hung. However, how many black people were given a trial first?

There's a difference between a legal hanging and a lynching, imo.
Of course there is a difference, I never said there wasn't.
Either that or you didn't pay attention to the definitions you posted earlier. Idk.

ETA: You didn't answer. How many black people were given a trial?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:19 pm
29again wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:06 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 am

True, many people of all races were hung. However, how many black people were given a trial first?

There's a difference between a legal hanging and a lynching, imo.
Of course there is a difference, I never said there wasn't.
Either that or you didn't pay attention to the definitions you posted earlier. Idk.

ETA: You didn't answer. How many black people were given a trial?
I never said anything to indicate that a lynching was anything close to legal. Of course they aren't legal! I don't know why you would say I didn't pay attention to the definitions I posted, because they all said "extrajudicial" "premeditated" "mob justice" etc. My ONLY goal was to point out that the definition of the word is not and was not exclusive to one race.

I cannot answer how many black people were given a trial... but I would say that not many, overall, were given a trial. And I would go so far as to say that most of those who did get a trial were found guilty. I don't like using absolutes like "every" and "all" so I won't use those terms.....but I really doubt that too many were found innocent and released. It is a sad and horrible part of our history, and we should not repeat it. But it seems to me that we are close to doing it all over again. (Not so much in a racial way, but in a political way. For all that they're pretty much the same, the divide between the parties is almost insurmountable.)
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic