Trump complaint equating impeachment inquiry to ‘lynching’ infuriates black Texas lawmakers

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:07 am He either stuck his foot in his mouth yet again or, knowing the feeding frenzy that using a word like "lynching" would cause in today's society, he threw that out there for his own twisted shits and giggles.
Good point. Never thought about that.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

He's a troll in many respects IMHO. Not something you want in a President but then again, I am of a FIRM belief we've never had a perfect, flawless, working hard for the people of American POTUS, either.

He promised to "drain the swamp." Essentially, to expose the large wound that IS our country's politics and many of its politicians and THAT is (again, IMHO) what he's been doing.

He puts out the bait and sits back, watching what becomes of it.

My family and I lived for two+ years with someone like this. It's hard to respect that type of game-playing and you want to smack the person who resorts to it.

But it really is a telling statement about people in general (something we discovered about ourselves after all was said and done w/this person in our home) and their own reactions.

Just again, a humble perspective.

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 am Exactly.
This is another example of what I was saying in the other post: he knows what to say to create a hoopla. And that hoopla makes his loyal base jump to his defense, regardless of what he says and what connotations his words carry. I don’t deny that many times he tweets before he thinks, but in some cases- and I’m thinking this was one of them- it’s a well thought choice of words to both irritate his opponents and appease his base.
AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:07 am He either stuck his foot in his mouth yet again or, knowing the feeding frenzy that using a word like "lynching" would cause in today's society, he threw that out there for his own twisted shits and giggles.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Is lynching in Old West Movies racist now too?
KAG
Mean Girl
Deleted User 203

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:34 am
I think he knows the reactions, sometimes, that he'll receive from seemingly putting his foot in his mouth. From throwing out those childish sayings, the insults and name-calling, and (again) all the things you do not expect nor desire to see with a world leader.

He's not nearly as stupid as some people think he is. He's astounded the GOP and pissed off the Democrats with his words alone.

And in the middle of it all, there he sits, letting the juices flow as they may.

Just....a humble point of view that I could easily be wrong on but again...I am not so sure I am.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Comments that were made were not only made on concentration camps but also nazis and hitler, so its a pretty clear comparison to the holocaust and Jews. There is no denying that the concentration camp comments made from democrats were comments of the Jews. Don’t excuse that and try to cover it up while trying to make Trumps comment about race.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 am “Concentration camp” also doesn’t belong to Jews since there have been many concentration camps for all kinds of prisoners around the world. However, you can’t deny that if a German rich guy was imprisoned for theft and embezzlement and he said that he feels as if he’s in a concentration camp that it wouldn’t be a slap in the face for Jews. Because in the history of Germany, concentration camp are strongly associated with Jews since they were the most targeted group during a particular dark time in German history. Even if other groups were also imprisoned, the one more actively persecuted and imprisoned in concentration camps were Jews.

In that same way, in American history, the group mostly associated with lynchings have been African Americans. So just as that imaginary German jerk would be slapping the face of Jews around the world by minimizing concentration camps by comparing them to the justified consequence of his actions, the very real American jerk slapped the face of the African American community by comparing his well deserved consequence of his actions to a “lynching”.

But since you brought in the definitions, please explain how a completely legal and justified investigation and prosecution compares to “lynching”. How is Trump’s comparison any valid?
29again wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 pm Hmmmm. I went and looked this up, because some members seem to think that lynchings only "belong" to a certain demographic. So, checking "lynching meaning" brings up quite a number of dictionary and vocabulary sites, and none of them use a race in defining lynching.

No race owns the term, it is not solely applicable to one race. By the definition, yes, Trump is quite right on this.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah. And while ha has a loyal fan base ready to defend him regardless of what he says, he’ll continue to push his limits to see how much he can get away with. I’m sure he could make the Nazi salute to Hitler, then say “I’m just kidding!” and his loyal followers will just go “oh, come one! You’re taking it out of context! He was only kidding! Don’t be such a snowflake! Not everything is racist!” and one sure to come up... “but his son in law is Jewish!!”
The one thing I can agree with him on is that he could say or do the most atrocious thing and he won’t lose his fan base. That is, sadly, true.
AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:23 pm
I think he knows the reactions, sometimes, that he'll receive from seemingly putting his foot in his mouth. From throwing out those childish sayings, the insults and name-calling, and (again) all the things you do not expect nor desire to see with a world leader.

He's not nearly as stupid as some people think he is. He's astounded the GOP and pissed off the Democrats with his words alone.

And in the middle of it all, there he sits, letting the juices flow as they may.

Just....a humble point of view that I could easily be wrong on but again...I am not so sure I am.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 am
29again wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 pm Hmmmm. I went and looked this up, because some members seem to think that lynchings only "belong" to a certain demographic. So, checking "lynching meaning" brings up quite a number of dictionary and vocabulary sites, and none of them use a race in defining lynching.

No race owns the term, it is not solely applicable to one race. By the definition, yes, Trump is quite right on this.
True, many people of all races were hung. However, how many black people were given a trial first?

There's a difference between a legal hanging and a lynching, imo.
Of course there is a difference, I never said there wasn't.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It is just as valid from Trump today as it was from every democrat who defended Clinton back in the 90's, and as it was from CNN who claimed that HRC was getting a "high-tech lynching" over Benghazi. I will agree that maybe this is not the best phrase to use, but you can't allow it to be used by one group of people, and then later on decide amongst yourselves that you don't like it when someone else uses it. Not trying to use "whataboutism" it's just what it IS. The phrase has been used over and over and over with NO backlash whatsoever. But yeah, orange man bad, so he can't say what politicians and the media have been saying for decades......

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 am “Concentration camp” also doesn’t belong to Jews since there have been many concentration camps for all kinds of prisoners around the world. However, you can’t deny that if a German rich guy was imprisoned for theft and embezzlement and he said that he feels as if he’s in a concentration camp that it wouldn’t be a slap in the face for Jews. Because in the history of Germany, concentration camp are strongly associated with Jews since they were the most targeted group during a particular dark time in German history. Even if other groups were also imprisoned, the one more actively persecuted and imprisoned in concentration camps were Jews.

In that same way, in American history, the group mostly associated with lynchings have been African Americans. So just as that imaginary German jerk would be slapping the face of Jews around the world by minimizing concentration camps by comparing them to the justified consequence of his actions, the very real American jerk slapped the face of the African American community by comparing his well deserved consequence of his actions to a “lynching”.

But since you brought in the definitions, please explain how a completely legal and justified investigation and prosecution compares to “lynching”. How is Trump’s comparison any valid?

Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I hate that term. There were so many better ways to describe the numerous Benghazi trials. It was not a "lynching", high tech or any other way.
29again wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:17 pm It is just as valid from Trump today as it was from every democrat who defended Clinton back in the 90's, and as it was from CNN who claimed that HRC was getting a "high-tech lynching" over Benghazi. I will agree that maybe this is not the best phrase to use, but you can't allow it to be used by one group of people, and then later on decide amongst yourselves that you don't like it when someone else uses it. Not trying to use "whataboutism" it's just what it IS. The phrase has been used over and over and over with NO backlash whatsoever. But yeah, orange man bad, so he can't say what politicians and the media have been saying for decades......

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 am “Concentration camp” also doesn’t belong to Jews since there have been many concentration camps for all kinds of prisoners around the world. However, you can’t deny that if a

SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:23 pm

You’re right. I pick my battles when it comes to Trump because I don’t have the energy to get mad every time he says something stupid and engage in all the back/forth that goes with it.

It’s not worth it IMO.
Locked Previous topicNext topic