I am never going to own a home.

mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Excuses are like buttholes I hear.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:57 am What is the big deal with being a home owner? I've known people who rented for years and put away enough to buy a house outright with no mortgage. The more you post the more I think you have no idea what you'd be getting into with buying a house and your husband probably knows that too. If you have to have some kind of special program to do it, you should not even think of buying a house. Unless you have money to fix everything that is going to go wrong with it, and major things do go wrong which are very expensive to fix when you least expect it, you have no business buying a house. Taxes go up which raises your mortgage sometimes exponentially unless you are putting a lot of extra money into escrow. Seriously medical illness happens and it's easy to lose everything including a house. Job loss happens and relocation happens. What if the house doesn't sell? Have you bothered to think of any of this? It sure doesn't sound like it.
We have a little over $100k in savings and investments, and we were approved for up to a $700k purchase price outside of this county. What's special about this county's program is not just that we're approved for a higher purchase price, but that there's no PMI, the interest rates are below market rate, and we qualified for a grant to cover part of closing costs. I'm not talking about buying a home that's at the top of what we qualify for. Just a home that's $750k or less. I'm calculating into the cost that we also save an additional 1% of the purchase price every year for maintenance and repairs. With our apartment, we've had to deal with a lot of stuff. You'd call me a troll if I posted all of it here. But, suffice it to say that we have to do most repairs and maintenance that are the paint in, because it's difficult to get the company to address issues. Yes, taxes go up. But in the years we've lived here, our rent's gone up by $2500 a month. So, rent goes up too. We're in a good spot for our jobs. Even if there's layoffs, we get severance and new jobs right away. I share custody with my ex, so relocation isn't a possibility for me.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He’s not the brightest bulb in the marquee, huh?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Bump
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:54 pm
Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:57 am What is the big deal with being a home owner? I've known people who rented for years and put away enough to buy a house outright with no mortgage. The more you post the more I think you have no idea what you'd be getting into with buying a house and your husband probably knows that too. If you have to have some kind of special program to do it, you should not even think of buying a house. Unless you have money to fix everything that is going to go wrong with it, and major things do go wrong which are very expensive to fix when you least expect it, you have no business buying a house. Taxes go up which raises your mortgage sometimes exponentially unless you are putting a lot of extra money into escrow. Seriously medical illness happens and it's easy to lose everything including a house. Job loss happens and relocation happens. What if the house doesn't sell? Have you bothered to think of any of this? It sure doesn't sound like it.
We have a little over $100k in savings and investments, and we were approved for up to a $700k purchase price outside of this county. What's special about this county's program is not just that we're approved for a higher purchase price, but that there's no PMI, the interest rates are below market rate, and we qualified for a grant to cover part of closing costs. I'm not talking about buying a home that's at the top of what we qualify for. Just a home that's $750k or less. I'm calculating into the cost that we also save an additional 1% of the purchase price every year for maintenance and repairs. With our apartment, we've had to deal with a lot of stuff. You'd call me a troll if I posted all of it here. But, suffice it to say that we have to do most repairs and maintenance that are the paint in, because it's difficult to get the company to address issues. Yes, taxes go up. But in the years we've lived here, our rent's gone up by $2500 a month. So, rent goes up too. We're in a good spot for our jobs. Even if there's layoffs, we get severance and new jobs right away. I share custody with my ex, so relocation isn't a possibility for me.
Again, you have no idea what the future holds and read this carefully - He Does Not Want This. Not everyone wants to buy a house and spend the tons of money that goes along with that. Frankly, it's not very smart to buy a house that is over half a million dollars especially when you have to have a grant program to even get the mortgage because of everything I listed and the future is anything but certain. It sounds like your husband isn't willing to have such an insanely expensive house. That's intelligent, what you're doing is not. Keep pushing it though. You'll likely end up divorced and living in the house you just had to have by yourself.
Jskidmore1946
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

EmilyH87 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:26 pm His logic makes zero sense. He doesn't want to buy a house that's a good deal for what it's actually worth?
I her pther post she said he concerns about another recession . Which one os forecasted for next year
Jskidmore1946
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:54 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:54 pm
Again, you have no idea what the future holds and read this carefully - He Does Not Want This. Not everyone wants to buy a house and spend the tons of money that goes along with that. Frankly, it's not very smart to buy a house that is over half a million dollars especially when you have to have a grant program to even get the mortgage because of everything I listed and the future is anything but certain. It sounds like your husband isn't willing to have such an insanely expensive house. That's intelligent, what you're doing is not. Keep pushing it though. You'll likely end up divorced and living in the house you just had to have by yourself.
No she will be living in dump of an apartment because she wont be able to pay for the house after he leaves
Jskidmore1946
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:21 pm He’s not the brightest bulb in the marquee, huh?
Actually he os being very intellogent
Anonymous 11

Unread post

I think he is having an affair.
Anonymous 12

Unread post

I get it. Buying your first house feels like a huge step and you want to be absolutely certain you're not making a very expensive mistake. It sounds to me like he's afraid of making a long term commitment to staying in the area.

I'd sit down together and make a list of the pros and cons of buying vs. renting. You may be able to address his concerns and get him on board with buying a house, or he may end up convincing you that buying right now is not a good idea. At least either way, you'd be on the same page.
Locked Previous topicNext topic