Would your kids like this for Halloween?

Deleted User 638

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:26 am
AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am
Poietes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:45 am

Um, the person I quoted used the word ruined. You know the one whose comment I was responding to. If I had an issue with your comment I would have quoted you. I had an issue with the fact someone thought a kids halloween was ruined if they got anything other than candy which is why I quoted that person. That's kinda how these boards work.

As a mother, I took issue with your comment that a kid who wants candy when trick or treating has no mind of their own and is a follower. That is not true. That's why I quoted you.

I do think that being new in town and handing out fortune cookies isn't going to help her children blend in with their new friends. That's something to think about.

There's also the issue of practicality. Fortune cookies are not meant to withstand trick or treating. They'd probably end up at the bottom of the bag all crumbly because of the candy on top of them.
There is always going to be something in that bag that kids don't like or can't have. My son hates Carmel so all of the snickers, milky way, Twix , etc... he is not at all excited about. My friends kid is allergic to peanuts so he can't even have half of the candy that people give out. Another friend has a kid who can not have red dye which is a large majority of the candy. A lot can't have sticky candies because of braces. Things like chips and fortune cookies would be a very very nice treat to all of them. We have gotten bags of chips before, and cans of pop which are very heavy to carry around), they kids figure out how to make it work. Keeping kids in mind who can't have the popular candy is very important, but most think about just the majority and tell people who actually think about other kids that they are "ruining" halloween.

If you think the type of halloween candy people pass out will make kids not like her kids then I would not want to live in any place like that. A place where people are teaching their children that a kind of treat they pass out is a reason to dislike a child. Very very sad.

I never said it would make other children dislike her children. Children are very blunt with each other. It could lead to some remarks that embarrassed her children. They're new in town. Her kids don't need that.

This whole idea started because she wasn't sure how much candy to buy. The best thing she can do is buy candy then turn off the lights if she runs out.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:40 am
Poietes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:32 am
AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:30 am

How does wanting candy at Halloween mean being a follower with no mind of their own?
If their Halloween is "ruined" because they got a handful of items that aren't candy. Yeah, they obviously learned some very bad habits.

Where did anyone say it would ruin their Halloween? No one did. Several of us said it wasn't a good idea because a lot of kids don't like fortune cookies. Why hand out treats if you're not sure most of the kids will like what you're giving them?
The post she quoted literally said it would "ruin Halloween"
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cellomom26 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:54 am Why do some adults insist on ruining Halloween?

No kid wants anything except candy on Halloween.

Not a pencil, not a box of raisins, not a silly fortune cookie, just candy.
My kids love getting pencils, stickers, etc. for Halloween, as do a lot of their friends. I don't see how not having candy at one house would ruin Halloween.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:56 am
Poietes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:32 am

If their Halloween is "ruined" because they got a handful of items that aren't candy. Yeah, they obviously learned some very bad habits.

Where did anyone say it would ruin their Halloween? No one did. Several of us said it wasn't a good idea because a lot of kids don't like fortune cookies. Why hand out treats if you're not sure most of the kids will like what you're giving them?

I think she meant the spirit of Halloween.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

lunarprancer wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:46 am My dd loves fortune cookies. I think that would be an awesome treat.
All of mine do too. They aren’t big candy eaters so would love to get fortune cookies instead.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If my daughters were trick and treating age, they would love them.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am

That is up to interpretation.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:50 am
AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am

As a mother, I took issue with your comment that a kid who wants candy when trick or treating has no mind of their own and is a follower. That is not true. That's why I quoted you.

I do think that being new in town and handing out fortune cookies isn't going to help her children blend in with their new friends. That's something to think about.

There's also the issue of practicality. Fortune cookies are not meant to withstand trick or treating. They'd probably end up at the bottom of the bag all crumbly because of the candy on top of them.
There is always going to be something in that bag that kids don't like or can't have. My son hates Carmel so all of the snickers, milky way, Twix , etc... he is not at all excited about. My friends kid is allergic to peanuts so he can't even have half of the candy that people give out. Another friend has a kid who can not have red dye which is a large majority of the candy. A lot can't have sticky candies because of braces. Things like chips and fortune cookies would be a very very nice treat to all of them. We have gotten bags of chips before, and cans of pop which are very heavy to carry around), they kids figure out how to make it work. Keeping kids in mind who can't have the popular candy is very important, but most think about just the majority and tell people who actually think about other kids that they are "ruining" halloween.

If you think the type of halloween candy people pass out will make kids not like her kids then I would not want to live in any place like that. A place where people are teaching their children that a kind of treat they pass out is a reason to dislike a child. Very very sad.

I never said it would make other children dislike her children. Children are very blunt with each other. It could lead to some remarks that embarrassed her children. They're new in town. Her kids don't need that.

This whole idea started because she wasn't sure how much candy to buy. The best thing she can do is buy candy then turn off the lights if she runs out.
Except there are at least as many responses here of children who would love them as there are people saying no. And most of the people saying no are being horribly nasty about it. And even if a kid doesn't like a particular item chance are they either 1: would have no clue which house it came from or 2: really not give two shits about have a small handful of things they don't like.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am

Either way it's still a stupid notion that getting something that's not candy would ruin anything.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:52 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:50 am

Except there are at least as many responses here of children who would love them as there are people saying no. And most of the people saying no are being horribly nasty about it. And even if a kid doesn't like a particular item chance are they either 1: would have no clue which house it came from or 2: really not give two shits about have a small handful of things they don't like.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Locked Previous topicNext topic