Would it be wrong? (kids and money)

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If it's something they want and are willing to spend money on, why would it be wrong?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm 8 year old plays the most, then 10 year old, then me & DH
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:13 pm It depends on what “for the whole family” means... Who plays and how much?
I would by the system and extra controllers. IF the kids want certain games then they can use part of their 540 combined money to buy them
I would not asl them for the miney because you and dh will be using the system also
Give them their allowance money and dont use the 240 as part of the purchase money
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 pm I might just ask them and see how that goes. I can't imagine what else they would need $200+ for.
CandTmom wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pm I personally wouldn't but if it's something you think you need to do you can ask and see if they want to.

It doesn't matter if they won't use the money for something else. It's not right for an adult to take money from children. It's not okay to ask children for money. Don't put your children in a position where they feel they have to say yes because their mother is the one asking.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Well it's not like they could afford one on their own, and anyway that's just not the way we do things in our family. They have plenty of their own items but something like a gaming system isn't a personal possession in my opinion. At least not at their ages.

Also it's only THEIR money because we give it to them. Lol... I'm still undecided though, going to talk it over with DH too of course but just looking for some perspective.
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:32 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:29 pm Well I'm back & forth but I can list some reasons

All of their needs are met
They don't have to purchase their own clothes, decor, etc
They don't really have anything else to drop 100s on
They would be the primary players
They really want a new system
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm How would it not be?
If THEY want it, THEY can decide to purchase it and it would be THEIRS. If it’s their money, it’s their decision and belonging. You could ask for other people to use it, but telling them that they will be buying something for the family would be wrong, yes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm not sure! It just feels odd to me, but I had a complicated childhood. Plenty of people are saying it's wrong but I haven't seen a reason why yet.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm If it's something they want and are willing to spend money on, why would it be wrong?
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm I have 2 kids, I owe them each about $120 in allowance, and they also have about $300 saved up between the two of them. Would it be flat out wrong to ask them to put money towards a new video game system for the whole family? We had one until recently but it needs replaced.

They're 8 & 10.
Yes.

I can't imagine owing my kids for allowance. If you don't have money for allowance then kids don't get allowance. Stop making promises you can't keep.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Oh my kids have NO qualms about saying no to me. Lol... I understand what you're saying though.
AnnieArk wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 pm I might just ask them and see how that goes. I can't imagine what else they would need $200+ for.
CandTmom wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pm I personally wouldn't but if it's something you think you need to do you can ask and see if they want to.

It doesn't matter if they won't use the money for something else. It's not right for an adult to take money from children. It's not okay to ask children for money. Don't put your children in a position where they feel they have to say yes because their mother is the one asking.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:44 pm I'm not sure! It just feels odd to me, but I had a complicated childhood. Plenty of people are saying it's wrong but I haven't seen a reason why yet.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm If it's something they want and are willing to spend money on, why would it be wrong?

That odd feeling is your conscience. Listen to it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It would be wrong.

You should be encouraging them to save their money. You shouldn't be giving them ideas of how to spend it.

You probably already mentioned this. But how much will this new system cost?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm 8 year old plays the most, then 10 year old, then me & DH
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:13 pm It depends on what “for the whole family” means... Who plays and how much?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I owe them allowance because they were with family overseas and then "lost" their wallets and I refused to hand them more money until they found them. Great job assuming and judging though.
mojogirl wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:46 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm I have 2 kids, I owe them each about $120 in allowance, and they also have about $300 saved up between the two of them. Would it be flat out wrong to ask them to put money towards a new video game system for the whole family? We had one until recently but it needs replaced.

They're 8 & 10.
Yes.

I can't imagine owing my kids for allowance. If you don't have money for allowance then kids don't get allowance. Stop making promises you can't keep.
Locked Previous topicNext topic