Cancelled due to high winds.

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DS was supposed to have a swim meet this afternoon but this morning they sent out a text saying it was cancelled due to the high winds. We are having sustained winds of 25 - 35mph with gusts up to 50mph. I'm guessing they cancelled because 1) It would be that much harder to swim with the wind whipping the water around and 2) The poor kids would freeze upon getting out of the pool in that wind.

It's just funny to me because before moving here I would never have imagined events being cancelled because of wind alone. But since moving here I understand why they do.

What weather event is most likely to cause cancellations in your area?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

We don't really have bad weather. School has been cancelled one time (in two years) due to snowfall. Usually it stays open.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lightning or rain

ETA: That’s outdoor sporting events. If we are talking schools and other closings...it would be the threat of severe weather. Live in a tornado prone state, and we usually know in advance the days that could damaging weather.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

just the mere threat of snow and the cancellations begin. a light dusting and the whole town shuts down.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 pm just the mere threat of snow and the cancellations begin. a light dusting and the whole town shuts down.

This. Its crazy. People go frantic over a sprinkle of white. I haven't figured out why.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Ice on the roads. Or flooding.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

A threat of snow or ice causes us to shut down in some cases...

Outdoor sporting events will get cancelled due to lightning, sometimes hard rain...
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Occasionally snow, but that's pretty rare.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Sporting events are almost never cancelled due to weather here. Our stadiums are covered, or mostly covered due to the rain we get, but we're used to that around here. It might be cancelled due to flooding, but again, not likely. Our football/soccer/baseball stadiums all use artificial turf.

We don't get a lot of thunder/lightning, but have recently as we transitioned from summer into fall. That's abnormal though.

Snow in the lowlands/urban areas isn't common either. If snow does hit, that will cancel an event. Mostly because we don't have the infrastructure to plow it quickly.

Tornadoes, hurricanes, and tsunami's are nearly unheard of as well. Although, there have been more tornado sightings in the last 5 years than in the previous 30 that I've lived here.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Snow storm
Locked Previous topicNext topic