Does anyone else feel like they miss social cues?

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:37 pm I feel like I miss them a lot. DH says I am oblivious. I don't mean to be but sometimes I just don't get things at all or right away.

I do pick up on people's feelings. For example the other day my manager seemed sad but I didn't want to pry. Then she made a post on FB about how it was her son's bday, the son that she lost. It did not occur to me until a couple hours later that that was why she was sad.

I can pick up on sarcasm but if someone is being fake I don't always pick up on that or other social cues. I also have a problem with eye contact. It has always been uncomfortable to me but I do it anyways when I have to.
Im pretty good. I rarely miss social clues but on the rare occasion that I may misinterpret one, I dont hesitate to ask questions.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think I pick up on them pretty well. I don't necessarily know how to react to them. Like the example of your manager, I'm sure I would pick up on the fact that she was sad, but I wouldn't automatically say anything. I would most likely keep acting as if nothing were different unless she specifically said something to me.

I have been accused of being dense and I will fully admit that I can be at times. I don't know if that really has to do with social cues. I just tend to need things spelled out for me. Don't leave me guessing. Or like my husband has a habit of thinking one thing but it comes out of his mouth as something else. Then I call him on it and he says "well you know what I mean". 'No, I know what you said and I go by what you said.'
But that's probably different from what you are talking about.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I often miss sarcasm, even though I dish it out quite a bit. Eye contact is also hard, but I attribute that to being abused as a child and molested as a teen.

It would not surprise me at all if my son got his autism (Asperger's) diagnosis from me.
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

What you're describing is classic signs of asperger's syndrome.
My son has it and is the sweetest, kindest, bravest, wisest person i know.

He learns social cues by being observant and watching people. He's gotten pretty good at reading body language and hearing the difference in tone and diction.

I used to be like that also, but as I've grown I've gotten pretty good at reading people.

And theres nothing wrong with realizing hours after thats why your boss was sad. Sometimes things take a while to click.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sometimes I get it and sometimes it flies right over my head, lol
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:37 pm I feel like I miss them a lot. DH says I am oblivious. I don't mean to be but sometimes I just don't get things at all or right away.

I do pick up on people's feelings. For example the other day my manager seemed sad but I didn't want to pry. Then she made a post on FB about how it was her son's bday, the son that she lost. It did not occur to me until a couple hours later that that was why she was sad.

I can pick up on sarcasm but if someone is being fake I don't always pick up on that or other social cues. I also have a problem with eye contact. It has always been uncomfortable to me but I do it anyways when I have to.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm the opposite.

I tend to pay way too much attention to social cues, other's feelings, etc.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Me! I feel totally socially awkward.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't know that I miss social cues, per se. I actually pick up on them quite well most of the time, I just don't... care, I guess. It's a heavy word, but I don't know how else to put it. Like, I'd notice that someone seemed sad, but it would never cross my mind to say something to them unless they approached me first. Otherwise, I would go on about my business as usual and let them deal with it.

The thing is, I am allergic to beating around the bush and I have a pathological distaste of sticking my nose in what I perceive as none of my business. My husband and I clash over this from time to time. He's the sort of person who is capable of beating around the bush until the end of time and he has an unfortunate tendency to go around and drop hints about whatever it is that's on his mind. Presumably with the end goal that I will notice these hints and ask him or do something about it. Well, I am the sort of person that absolutely refuses to dignify this method with my attention. Even if I notice the hints, which I usually do, at the very most I'll tell him to just get on with it if there's something he'd like to talk about. We're F***ing adults. If we can't have a direct conversation, what are we even doing?
Godstar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I read auras and minds through the eyes, and sometimes I don't want to know the secret thoughts that come out. It can be too much at times..

I didn't ask for the gift, but thanks God I appreciate the blessings.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No I'm good at picking up on things like that. My SO is like you though. I haven't been happy for a few weeks now and he has yet to ask me why.
Locked Previous topicNext topic