Metformin?

BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The doctor said she was putting my daughter on metformin. I asked if she is diabetic because that’s what my mom takes for diabetes. She said she wasn’t but labs showed she had a high insulin level and her body wasn’t using insulin properly. And if she continues like that she will become diabetic.
Anyone have experience with metformin use when not diabetic? I’m not sure if I was understanding correctly. She is also being out on thyroid meds because it showed she has hypothyroidism and she believes she has PCOS. So many answers on this doctor visit.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Oh! The pharmacist shed some light. He said it could be used to treat PCOS, which she confirmed my daughter has.
Anyone with PCOS using Metformin? Has it helped?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have pcos and take metformin. In my opinion doctors are very quick to prescribe it. I'm not even convinced I have insulin resistance. (I'm not convinced I don't either). But the assumption is that because I have PCOS, I am insulin resistant - those two are not 100 percent equivalent but do typically go together. Metformin is standard to hand out to PCOS patients.

I'd want more blood work to try to understand better what is going on. On the other hand, at least metformin seems to be pretty innocuous when it comes to long term side effects. When she first starts to take it, she may get some spontaneous diarrhea... just a warning.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have PCOS and haven't had it mentioned to me at all. But mine is also mild and I don't have some of the issues other people with it have.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes, prediabetic I was out on it. Unlike other orals like actors she shouldn’t experience dramatic lows. Just tell her to watch her carbs or she could experience some yucky gastric issues.

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:44 pm The doctor said she was putting my daughter on metformin. I asked if she is diabetic because that’s what my mom takes for diabetes. She said she wasn’t but labs showed she had a high insulin level and her body wasn’t using insulin properly. And if she continues like that she will become diabetic.
Anyone have experience with metformin use when not diabetic? I’m not sure if I was understanding correctly. She is also being out on thyroid meds because it showed she has hypothyroidism and she believes she has PCOS. So many answers on this doctor visit.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Metformin is prescribed to women with PCOS even though they're not diabetic.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:19 pm I have pcos and take metformin. In my opinion doctors are very quick to prescribe it. I'm not even convinced I have insulin resistance. (I'm not convinced I don't either). But the assumption is that because I have PCOS, I am insulin resistant - those two are not 100 percent equivalent but do typically go together. Metformin is standard to hand out to PCOS patients.

I'd want more blood work to try to understand better what is going on. On the other hand, at least metformin seems to be pretty innocuous when it comes to long term side effects. When she first starts to take it, she may get some spontaneous diarrhea... just a warning.
Yep lol we have been warned. They said taking it with food may help. Her insulin levels were high. We’re your insulin levels high on your lab results?
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My friend went on it who battled infertility for years due to PCOS. She called it a life changer. She got pregnant finally and now has a healthy (but bratty) 7 year old.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:29 pm Metformin is prescribed to women with PCOS even though they're not diabetic.
Yep. The doctor didn’t come out and say that but the pharmacist asked if she was diabetic or had PCOS. That’s when I realized it was treating the PCOS. She got a lot of information today.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:44 pm My friend went on it who battled infertility for years due to PCOS. She called it a life changer. She got pregnant finally and now has a healthy (but bratty) 7 year old.
My daughter doesn’t want kids....ever. Lol so that’s not a problem. But I’m glad she got the answer that she has PCOS so it can be treated.
Locked Previous topicNext topic