I just realized something about Charlie from Willy Wonka

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Yes I got that point originally.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:13 pm The teacher asks the kids how many chocolate bars they opened while teaching them about percentages.

Charlie says 2, because he doesn't care very much for chocolate.

Later on though, you see him gobbling down a chocolate bar.

It occurred to me that he only said he doesn't care for chocolate because he was embarrassed that he could only afford 2 chocolate bars when the rest of the class was saying they opened 50, 100, 200, etc.
Oh, honey, bless your heart.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Wow I got that when I saw that movie and read the book as a kid.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Ya, that was rather obvious.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yeah I thought that was the whole point the first time I saw it.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't remember. What I've thought recently was how patient the father was. Here's this guy who I suppose is working his fingers to the bone and Grandpa Joe just got out of bed for the first time in how many years? And no contractures, weakness, or pain. So all this time he never tried to get up which might have relieved the family's burden? He laid there and watched everyone suffer. If I'd been the father I would have throttled the old man half to death.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Are you talking about the book? Or the Gene Wilder movie?

Because I'm only familiar with the Johnny Depp movie and I don't even remember a scene in a classroom.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:34 pm Are you talking about the book? Or the Gene Wilder movie?

Because I'm only familiar with the Johnny Depp movie and I don't even remember a scene in a classroom.
The original movie has that scene, plus it makes a big deal of Charlie's first paycheck paying for bread (and making dinner a 'banquet').
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:29 pm I don't remember. What I've thought recently was how patient the father was. Here's this guy who I suppose is working his fingers to the bone and Grandpa Joe just got out of bed for the first time in how many years? And no contractures, weakness, or pain. So all this time he never tried to get up which might have relieved the family's burden? He laid there and watched everyone suffer. If I'd been the father I would have throttled the old man half to death.
Right??? His poor daughter and grandson have to deliver papers and do laundry with a giant wooden fork all so he can lie around like a lifeless lump. But when there's a trip to a chocolate factory involved, TIME TO BUST A MOVE lol.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:41 pm
Pjmm wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:29 pm I don't remember. What I've thought recently was how patient the father was. Here's this guy who I suppose is working his fingers to the bone and Grandpa Joe just got out of bed for the first time in how many years? And no contractures, weakness, or pain. So all this time he never tried to get up which might have relieved the family's burden? He laid there and watched everyone suffer. If I'd been the father I would have throttled the old man half to death.
Right??? His poor daughter and grandson have to deliver papers and do laundry with a giant wooden fork all so he can lie around like a lifeless lump. But the minute there's a trip to a chocolate factory, TIME TO BUST A MOVE lol.
Exactly. As a kid i didn't think about it. Now I'm like come on I've seen more disabled people than your sorry ass work. Ever hear of physical therapy? Lying in bed isn't good for you anyway it's been medically proven. I really think that whole family had issues especially after reading the sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. At the end all four of them get out of bed. I look back and wonder what Roald Dahl was smoking lol.
Locked Previous topicNext topic