Princess
Princess

Unread post

200-250
Anonymous 1

Unread post

So gift giving should be need based?
mojogirl wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:30 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 pm I usually give $400-500, but venue is an important consideration. I usually give that much because I’m usually attending fancy weddings at fancy places. I would give less if it was a backyard BBQ.
Seems like the people with the backyard bbq would need it more than those at the plaza. What I hear you saying is "I give based on what I perceive is the value I get out of it." Classy.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I do have to hand it to the bridal party. The bridal shower consisted of a buffet, chit chat, and a "How Well Do You Know the Couple" Trivia Game. It was actually fun and the food was excellent.

Oh! Each guest could/did bring a "family recipe" and a "kitchen utensil" from the registry (ie: ladle, wooden spoons, measuring spoons, wine opener, egg timer, stupid little crap).

MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 pm That is odd. The biggest part of the shower is the bride opening the gifts. So if there were no gifts what was the shower for? Just to eat? Weird.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:08 pm Honestly, I've got mixed emotions on this one. Last year I was invited to a bridal shower. The couple in question had been living with each other in their purchased home for about 2 years at the time of the soon-to-be wedding. According to their parents, "They have everything they need. So they are just going to ask guests to donate to their honeymoon."

So...inside the bridal shower invite there was a slip of paper that said, "in lieu of a gift, please consider donating to the couple's VIP honeymoon GoFundMe." At the time, this rubbed me wrong. To me, it's really no different than saying, "Please give cash. We don't want your stinkin' gifts." :lol: Something about it does seem a little tacky to me.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:58 pm Trashy.

RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

only if you're old fashioned
RealisticBeauty wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:51 pm My cousin set up a GoFundMe honeymoon account and asked everyone to fund their honeymoon Instead of gifts. We are giving 300.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Or if you’re not trashy.
RealisticBeauty wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:51 pm only if you're old fashioned
RealisticBeauty wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:51 pm My cousin set up a GoFundMe honeymoon account and asked everyone to fund their honeymoon Instead of gifts. We are giving 300.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Depends who it is.
KaiandKadensMama
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I give $50
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

So, I'm in NY. You have to expect that hosting us is costing the couple $150pp. So husband and I would start with a $300 base and then add on more depending on how close the relationship is. I have a nephew who is likely to marry soon and I suppose I'll have to write a check for a thousand. A longtime friend of ours married for the first time a few years ago and I probably wrote $500.

And call me a bitch, but if I gifted the first wedding, then I'm just going to cover our plates for any subsequent weddings, if we go.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

$1500
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:48 am So, I'm in NY. You have to expect that hosting us is costing the couple $150pp. So husband and I would start with a $300 base and then add on more depending on how close the relationship is. I have a nephew who is likely to marry soon and I suppose I'll have to write a check for a thousand. A longtime friend of ours married for the first time a few years ago and I probably wrote $500.

And call me a bitch, but if I gifted the first wedding, then I'm just going to cover our plates for any subsequent weddings, if we go.

I'm in NY too and I tend to give more to family or close friends and less to my hairdresser's husbands kiddo from his first wedding or a friend who I haven't seen in 3 years daughter's second marriage.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Locked Previous topicNext topic