No drama question re: weddings and money

stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:48 am So, I'm in NY. You have to expect that hosting us is costing the couple $150pp. So husband and I would start with a $300 base and then add on more depending on how close the relationship is. I have a nephew who is likely to marry soon and I suppose I'll have to write a check for a thousand. A longtime friend of ours married for the first time a few years ago and I probably wrote $500.

And call me a bitch, but if I gifted the first wedding, then I'm just going to cover our plates for any subsequent weddings, if we go.

I'm in NY too and I tend to give more to family or close friends and less to my hairdresser's husbands kiddo from his first wedding or a friend who I haven't seen in 3 years daughter's second marriage.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm I give enough to cover the cost of feeding my DH and I. And then, I add on to the $$$ amount based on how close I am to the bride and/or groom.

In recent years, the least we've given is $300.00. As a bride, though, I appreciated any amount that was given.
My daughter was married this summer. It was $350 per plate including alcohol. We didn’t expect people to cover the cost of food.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

It's nice of you to not expect. I think that's the way all gift recipients should be. Just be grateful for the presence of your guests. And consider the presents a bonus.
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:31 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm I give enough to cover the cost of feeding my DH and I. And then, I add on to the $$$ amount based on how close I am to the bride and/or groom.

In recent years, the least we've given is $300.00. As a bride, though, I appreciated any amount that was given.
My daughter was married this summer. It was $350 per plate including alcohol. We didn’t expect people to cover the cost of food.
Locked Previous topicNext topic