Up to 43 child hot car deaths this year. TX has the most. Why?

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I saw this story on The Weather Channel this morning. So sad for the poor boy who had to suffer.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-3-year ... -car-death

The mom, dad, 6yo and 3yo came home from the 6yo's tee ball game. The two parents and the 6yo went inside the house. No one brought in the 3yo. It was suggested that each parent thought the other one grabbed the 3yo. The parents discovered the mistake 4 hours later and by then it was too late.

The Weather Channel also showed an updated map for 2019 showing how many deaths each state has had this year that equal the 43 across the nation. I couldn't find the exact map online but this one is pretty close.

But the map I saw on tv showed that TX had 6 deaths this year. FL and AZ each had 4 deaths this year. And then I think the numbers went down from there.

So why does TX have that many more than any others? Is it because of their huge population? Extreme heat? (though they are not the hottest state, but close) Something else? In the comments to the news article I posted above someone suggested that "San Antonio is famous for wrist slaps when it comes to killing children." Is there truth to this? (Even though the dots on the map seem to be clustered more around Dallas / Fort Worth.)
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

I do not understand how anyone can ignore their child to the extent that they forget their child is in their car!?!?!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So sad...my heart breaks for the family.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I don't think its population or heat because California has a huge population and gets hot yet it looks like only 1 death?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:02 pm So sad...my heart breaks for the family.
My heart breaks for the child.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:00 pm I do not understand how anyone can ignore their child to the extent that they forget their child is in their car!?!?!
And in this case it went on for four hours. They were all home, they assumed the 3yo was in the home. How many of us have our 3yo in the house with us but don't see them for four hours and think nothing of it? When mine were that age, even if they went off to another room to play by themselves it wasn't for four hours. They were all over the house within a 4 hour span. Most parents would notice they hadn't seen the child and go looking for him long before the 4 hour mark.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:02 pm So sad...my heart breaks for the family.
Of course, he is part of the family.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 pm
Of course, he is part of the family.
I have an almost 5 year old. If I don’t hear him for 5 minutes, I go looking for him because quiet preschoolers are pretty much always getting themselves in trouble. It’s difficult for me to believe that neither parent thought to check on the 3 year old for 4 HOURS. How long would you personally wait before checking on a 3 year old you didn’t hear?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 pm
Ledina60 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:00 pm I do not understand how anyone can ignore their child to the extent that they forget their child is in their car!?!?!
And in this case it went on for four hours. They were all home, they assumed the 3yo was in the home. How many of us have our 3yo in the house with us but don't see them for four hours and think nothing of it? When mine were that age, even if they went off to another room to play by themselves it wasn't for four hours. They were all over the house within a 4 hour span. Most parents would notice they hadn't seen the child and go looking for him long before the 4 hour mark.
One of my kids would regularly fall asleep in the car at that age, and one of us would take her out of the car and carry her to her bed. It’s possible the parents thought he was sleeping that whole time.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:36 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 pm
One of my kids would regularly fall asleep in the car at that age, and one of us would take her out of the car and carry her to her bed. It’s possible the parents thought he was sleeping that whole time.
Sleeping in the car? And they didn’t bother to carry him inside?
Or they forgot??? They assumed he was inside?
This is inexcusable.
No defense.
Locked Previous topicNext topic