Why are so many millennials lazy and entitled?

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:15 am
Smarties wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:07 am
QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:49 am

Do your research 30 percent of college graduates live at home with their parents. Thats just them

You know, I was actually curious what the statistics really are. So I looked. It was difficult to find a study that showed statistics for different categories of people. This is from a study published in January 2019.

20190914_085802.jpg

While numbers are higher across the board, adults with only high school diplomas are more likely to be living with their parents than adults with college degrees from the same age range, just as I suspected.

The study also talked a lot about home ownership. It said that although it would seem logical that adults living at home would have greater opportunity to save for down payments for homes, and therefore later in life have a higher rate of home ownership and equity in their homes, it was actually the opposite: adults who did not live with their parents were the ones who had higher rates of home ownership and home equity later in life. Perhaps because they have more education and therefore higher incomes on average.

There are a lot of other ways the study looked at different sub-groups so if you'd like the whole thing let me know. It was pretty interesting.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/more- ... 2018-05-08

Yes, I read that too. That doesn't compare different groups. College grads vs non college grads. The study I looked at broke things down in many different ways, including college grads vs non grads, gave a lot more detailed analysis.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:15 am
SisterSomeone wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:55 am There's lazy and entitled people in every generation, but they're almost never the majority. From my personal experience in managing workers, Millennials tend to be the hardest workers and highest performers in most workplaces, given a good working environment. That is the part that makes it or breaks it. Millennials demand a different sort of work environment than what used to be the norm. I've been thinking about this lately. What I've been able to conclude, mainly from my own experience, is the following.

It seems to me like we are more transient and more willing to job and career hop than Gen X. I've noticed that it used to be a source of immense pride for Gen X and especially Boomers to be able to say that they've worked in a certain field or stayed with their company for 10, 20, 30 years. I honestly don't know any Millennial that would pride themself in that. In most cases it's the opposite. A lot of us have excellent work ethic and performance records, but very little to no employee loyalty. If a job isn't working out for us, we tend to walk. If there aren't any appealing jobs in our immediate field of expertise, we look at other fields. Hell, even if there is nothing wrong with the job we have but we find better elsewhere, odds are we'll jump. This effect tends to multiply if we're talking nonskilled or entry level work, which sounds like what the OP is talking about.

We do that because we can. As a whole, Millennial professionals are more educated than any generation before us. We're also more flexible, and a lot less dead-set on having a traditional career or only working in the field we're educated for. That gives us a certain degree of freedom and choice. We've learned to ask the question "What's in this for me?" If the answer begins and ends at "a paycheck", well, we can find that anywhere. We're not inclined to put up with a job that doesn't suit us, or stick around in a negative working environment, because there's almost always something better out there.

I have seen all of these things. I also believe the research on this generation reflects that these are typical characteristics.
Milienials have a 12 percent unemployment rate
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:20 am
SisterSomeone wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:55 am There's lazy and entitled people in every generation, but they're almost never the majority. From my personal experience in managing workers, Millennials tend to be the hardest workers and highest performers in most workplaces, given a good working environment. That is the part that makes it or breaks it. Millennials demand a different sort of work environment than what used to be the norm. I've been thinking about this lately. What I've been able to conclude, mainly from my own experience, is the following.

It seems to me like we are more transient and more willing to job and career hop than Gen X. I've noticed that it used to be a source of immense pride for Gen X and especially Boomers to be able to say that they've worked in a certain field or stayed with their company for 10, 20, 30 years. I honestly don't know any Millennial that would pride themself in that. In most cases it's the opposite. A lot of us have excellent work ethic and performance records, but very little to no employee loyalty. If a job isn't working out for us, we tend to walk. If there aren't any appealing jobs in our immediate field of expertise, we look at other fields. Hell, even if there is nothing wrong with the job we have but we find better elsewhere, odds are we'll jump. This effect tends to multiply if we're talking nonskilled or entry level work, which sounds like what the OP is talking about.

We do that because we can. As a whole, Millennial professionals are more educated than any generation before us. We're also more flexible, and a lot less dead-set on having a traditional career or only working in the field we're educated for. That gives us a certain degree of freedom and choice. We've learned to ask the question "What's in this for me?" If the answer begins and ends at "a paycheck", well, we can find that anywhere. We're not inclined to put up with a job that doesn't suit us, or stick around in a negative working environment, because there's almost always something better out there.

I have seen all of these things. I also believe the research on this generation reflects that these are typical characteristics.

Ok? Doesn't change what she said.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

22yo would be a Gen Z, not millennial. Just sayin.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 am

No it doesn't. But all the stuff she listed is why they have 12 percent unemployment rate which is almost 3 times the national unemployment rate
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:35 am

No it doesn't. But all the stuff she listed is why they have 12 percent unemployment rate which is almost 3 times the national unemployment rate

Maybe part of it. Part of what she listed is good, and doesn't point to unemployment at all. You're not making much sense.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 pm
Vegaswife2011 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 pm I work with a few young kids. One is horrible and a few are great.
What do you do?

I was under the impression that you were a SAHM...
I was. I just started cashiering at the corner market. I really like it. I do lunches with the kindergartners too.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am

Maybe part of it. Part of what she listed is good, and doesn't point to unemployment at all. You're not making much sense.
She never does.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Entitled. They have grown up entitled.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am

Actually none of it is good from an employer perspective. Their supposed freedom to job hop and unrealistic expectations make companies think twice about hiring Millienials. Yea they are on e of the most educated generations. It comes with a horrific cost of student loan debt. When they do get hired they can't pay their bills as simple as that. They jump from job to job not showing any stability or a reason for their companies to invest in them. Which is why... Their student loan debt and very low credit history is another contributing factor of their unemployment. My heart breaks for Milienials. They are in a truly shitty situation. They can't win for loosing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic