Why are so many millennials lazy and entitled?

Diamepphyre
Marchioness
Marchioness
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Well what do you expect from a generation that was brought up to believe that they could never be wrong and that everyone else should just bend over backwards to make their lives easy and give them everything they want without any actual effort on their part?
Anonymous 3

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 pm

I've definitely seen that.

I also know one kid who, after graduating from college, is still at home at age 26. But he's not at all in debt because his parents paid the bill. He "just doesn't know what he wants to do with his life." :? Needs a bit of a kick in the arse. :lol:

ETA: That "age 26" was a typo. Meant to type "age 28."
Smarties wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm
I don't know one 24 year old that is $100,000. in debt. Just about everyone that I know with 24 year olds had their college paid for by their parents.

QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm


Many 24 yos live at home because they have up to 100,000 in financial aid debt. This generation doesnt have it as well as previous generations. 30 years ago I didnt have half the financial issues that abundant today.


Its not the college graduates that are still living at home as adults that I know either. And that includes my own siblings. The one who didn't go to college is the one who struggled to be on her own.
User avatar
EmilyH87
Duchess
Duchess
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 7:47 am

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:24 pm

sheramom4 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 pm
QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm


Many 24 yos live at home because they have up to 100,000 in financial aid debt. This generation doesnt have it as well as previous generations. 30 years ago I didnt have half the financial issues that abundant today.
I was thinking thinking the same thing. I purchased my house when in was 24 at $134,000. A house in my neighbourhood with the same floor plan but unfinished basement just sold for $575,000 just 15 years later. It is no wonder 24 year olds live at home
I will see if I can dig up an article I just read about millennials and the wage gap. Wages have not increased with the cost of living so most millenials (and Gen Xers) make the same as their parents did but COL has increased dramatically over that time so they are not living as well as they should be. A big part of that was housing, utilities and food costs.
Also attributed to that was the "college push" and how many of the degrees offered do not lead to gainful employment. Technical jobs are lacking experienced workers because Gen X and millennials were taught that college was the only way to make it in life. Then employers started requiring more advanced degrees for positions that previously required no degree or an AA which led to more college but not more in wages and more debt and the cycle continued.
From personal experience (and as a Gen Xer), I make more as a paraeducator than I did using my Master's degree in Public Administration.
ALL of this.
Anonymous 3

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 pm

OK. But if the parents took out the loans, why are the kids $100,000. in debt?

And again, I don't know one 24 year old that is $100,000. in debt. If their parents paid for their college, why are they (the students) in so much debt?

QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm
I don't know one 24 year old that is $100,000. in debt. Just about every 24 year old that I know had their college paid for by their parents.

QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm


Many 24 yos live at home because they have up to 100,000 in financial aid debt. This generation doesnt have it as well as previous generations. 30 years ago I didnt have half the financial issues that abundant today.
You are right the parents did pay for it. By taking out education loans

Screenshot_20190913-220757_Chrome.jpg
Anonymous 3

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm

We saved & invested while our kids were growing up. So, the amount we borrowed was minimal and was paid off before they even graduated. Our kids also worked very hard to get good grades in HS so that they'd qualify for as many academic scholarships as possible. They also applied for scholarships out the whazoo. I think some kids & parents work hard to make sure they have little debt. And I think others don't. I do feel for those who do put in the work applying for scholarships. But I get a little annoyed with those that complain about the cost of college but do nothing to help their own case.
QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm
I don't know one 24 year old that is $100,000. in debt. Just about every 24 year old that I know had their college paid for by their parents.

QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm


Many 24 yos live at home because they have up to 100,000 in financial aid debt. This generation doesnt have it as well as previous generations. 30 years ago I didnt have half the financial issues that abundant today.
You are right the parents did pay for it. By taking out education loans

Screenshot_20190913-220757_Chrome.jpg
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Regent
Regent
Posts: 3029
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 12:08 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Vegaswife2011 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 pm
I work with a few young kids. One is horrible and a few are great.
What do you do?

I was under the impression that you were a SAHM...
Smarties
Regent
Regent
Posts: 4899
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 pm

QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Smarties wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm
I don't know one 24 year old that is $100,000. in debt. Just about everyone that I know with 24 year olds had their college paid for by their parents.




Its not the college graduates that are still living at home as adults that I know either. And that includes my own siblings. The one who didn't go to college is the one who struggled to be on her own.
Actually it is. The number of college graduates living at home is the highest its ever been in a century. Its like 30 percent mostly due to huge education debt,exhorbiant rents,poor wages and shitty healthcare system. Today's graduates are graduating into a freaking mess. We had it much,much better. Ifts no wonder so many people are putting off having children sooo much later in life and flat out refusing to have children. Most Americans have been living paycheck to paycheck for far too long and are still.doing. Thats not going to change for the considerable future.

The number of graduates living at home is on trend with the overall rise in the number of adult children living at home. That doesn't mean that most adult children living with their parents are college graduates.

I'm still taking classes. I'm very familiar with tuition costs.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent
Posts: 4525
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:05 am

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 pm

Smarties wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 pm
QuantumNursing wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Smarties wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 pm




Its not the college graduates that are still living at home as adults that I know either. And that includes my own siblings. The one who didn't go to college is the one who struggled to be on her own.
Actually it is. The number of college graduates living at home is the highest its ever been in a century. Its like 30 percent mostly due to huge education debt,exhorbiant rents,poor wages and shitty healthcare system. Today's graduates are graduating into a freaking mess. We had it much,much better. Ifts no wonder so many people are putting off having children sooo much later in life and flat out refusing to have children. Most Americans have been living paycheck to paycheck for far too long and are still.doing. Thats not going to change for the considerable future.

The number of graduates living at home is on trend with the overall rise in the number of adult children living at home. That doesn't mean that most adult children living with their parents are college graduates.

I'm still taking classes. I'm very familiar with tuition costs.
So you mean its.in trend with ALL milienials instead of the claim.stated upthread that its not the college graduates living at home....a
Smarties
Regent
Regent
Posts: 4899
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Anonymous 3 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 pm
I've definitely seen that.

I also know one kid who, after graduating from college, is still at home at age 26. But he's not at all in debt because his parents paid the bill. He "just doesn't know what he wants to do with his life." :? Needs a bit of a kick in the arse. :lol:

ETA: That "age 26" was a typo. Meant to type "age 28."
Smarties wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm
I don't know one 24 year old that is $100,000. in debt. Just about everyone that I know with 24 year olds had their college paid for by their parents.




Its not the college graduates that are still living at home as adults that I know either. And that includes my own siblings. The one who didn't go to college is the one who struggled to be on her own.

His parents need to do the kicking. Dang.

I paid for my own schooling. At private school tuition rates, so it was more expensive even back then than state school tuition rates are around here now. I'm not saying everyone can tough it out like me or that parents helping kids pay for college is bad, but very few degrees need to be costing more than 100k to get.

I also don't think all millennials are lazy.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent
Posts: 2996
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 am

Unread post Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Because they were raised on participation trophies, and everyone gets invited to the birthday party.

Not all of them are lazy and entitled, of course. Luckily some had good parents who didn't buy into the "gentle parenting/coddling/self esteem movement", whatever you want to call it.

Stereotypes exist for a reason though. As a group they do act entitled and it is really bizarre to see.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic