A lady is bitching because her child’s school scheduled a spirt day for today

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Apparently the world is supposed to stop today.

We’re not allowed to be anything but somber and sad today.

I just can’t quite understand that mentality. We can remember those who lost their lives today but also do the normal every day things we would do any other day as well.

Hell I also wouldn’t bat an eye if today was someone’s birthday and they wanted to celebrate it today.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think a spirit day today isn't a bad idea. A morning of remembrance followed by pride in your school/state/country seems fitting. Both can occur, remembering the horror and also celebrating our future.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Some people love to complain!
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Remembering a tragic day and celebrating life are not mutually exclusive. You can honor the day and still have a good time. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

People really will find anything to complain about. Maybe I could understand better if it had just happened last year or something, but it's been 18 years (damn, that sounds crazy when I type it out. 18 years...). The world keeps moving. We can't expect the world to be solemn forever. Especially not as kids who weren't even alive on 9/11 get older and older.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Why should an elementary school full of little kids not continue on their day as normal? Why should elementary school children know that thousands of people lost their lives almost 20 years ago today because religious zealots deliberately flew two of our planes into the Twin Towers? There's time enough for them to learn about that when they hit middle school.
Fairymom
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

EmilyH87 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 am People really will find anything to complain about. Maybe I could understand better if it had just happened last year or something, but it's been 18 years (damn, that sounds crazy when I type it out. 18 years...). The world keeps moving. We can't expect the world to be solemn forever. Especially not as kids who weren't even alive on 9/11 get older and older.
Its very jarring to think about it being 18 yrs ago. My sons were born into such a different world than we had pre 9/11.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Today is my brother's birthday. So, according to her, he doesn't get to celebrate anymore because of it? Ridiculous.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We had red, white & blue spirit day today!! My DD didn’t want to participate.

People mourn and remember in different ways, I suppose. I wouldn’t think twice.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Fairymom wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 am
EmilyH87 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 am People really will find anything to complain about. Maybe I could understand better if it had just happened last year or something, but it's been 18 years (damn, that sounds crazy when I type it out. 18 years...). The world keeps moving. We can't expect the world to be solemn forever. Especially not as kids who weren't even alive on 9/11 get older and older.
Its very jarring to think about it being 18 yrs ago. My sons were born into such a different world than we had pre 9/11.
Doesnt it blow your mind? My youngest brother was born January '02. In the first of the kids to grow up in a pre-9/11 America. When DH got his first group of students who were born after or were too young to remember it kind of messed him up for a second.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Locked Previous topicNext topic