Hurricane Dorian is coming and people are already

Anonymous 1

Unread post

freaking out about supplies, generators and so on. Just like Florence last year and countless other hurricanes. It's part of coastal living. Snow is part of northern living, hurricanes are part of coastal living. Thing is, people don't remember that part until a hurricane is around the corner. You don't see people hauling generators out of Walmart in February in preparation of the hurricane season that shows up every year, but you definitely see them hauling out giant TVs with their taxes. The store literally has giant pallets of them during tax season because they know they'll sell, but not the generators that people complain they can't afford come September.

So unreal that people make comments on social media about their desire to have everyone with generators post about it so that they know where to go when the shit hits the fan. I don't even have Facebook, but people were discussing it yesterday when I went to pick the kids up from school. It was the last school day of the week because of the hurricane, so it was obviously being discussed and others were talking about the posts they've seen shared on Facebook about it.

We live in a gated community in Wilmington, NC and every time there's a hurricane, they beef up security because of the wild animals who come out during/after these storms. It wasn't even 48 hours after Florence that these individuals were looting a dollar store.

It's certainly a sight to see. The bread is wiped out, chips and snacks are very slim pickings and so are a lot of other items. They already have Halloween candy out and even that's selling since it's good to have something fun to munch on. The alcohol is going like crazy and the parking lot of the ABC store looked pretty full.

Anyway, this one shouldn't be that bad. But if it is, we're prepared. Our Generac is ready to go
Whole house generator. Tons of food. Plenty of gas for the cars. I predict a quick storm and then back to regular programming soon after.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It'll be a nothing storm by the time it gets up there.

You didn't plan very well if you were out after the bread was gone. But you were probably out buying steak and lobster to eat at your gated community home, lolololol.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:35 pm freaking out about supplies, generators and so on. Just like Florence last year and countless other hurricanes. It's part of coastal living. Snow is part of northern living, hurricanes are part of coastal living. Thing is, people don't remember that part until a hurricane is around the corner. You don't see people hauling generators out of Walmart in February in preparation of the hurricane season that shows up every year, but you definitely see them hauling out giant TVs with their taxes. The store literally has giant pallets of them during tax season because they know they'll sell, but not the generators that people complain they can't afford come September.

So unreal that people make comments on social media about their desire to have everyone with generators post about it so that they know where to go when the shit hits the fan. I don't even have Facebook, but people were discussing it yesterday when I went to pick the kids up from school. It was the last school day of the week because of the hurricane, so it was obviously being discussed and others were talking about the posts they've seen shared on Facebook about it.

We live in a gated community in Wilmington, NC and every time there's a hurricane, they beef up security because of the wild animals who come out during/after these storms. It wasn't even 48 hours after Florence that these individuals were looting a dollar store.

It's certainly a sight to see. The bread is wiped out, chips and snacks are very slim pickings and so are a lot of other items. They already have Halloween candy out and even that's selling since it's good to have something fun to munch on. The alcohol is going like crazy and the parking lot of the ABC store looked pretty full.

Anyway, this one shouldn't be that bad. But if it is, we're prepared. Our Generac is ready to go
Whole house generator. Tons of food. Plenty of gas for the cars. I predict a quick storm and then back to regular programming soon after.
It only took 1 hurricane to show me that I needed to be more than prepared BEFORE hurricane season. Im ready even though Dorian isnt going to hit us.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You have no way to know that the people buying tvs are the same who are asking for help because they can't buy a generator. I'm sure all of these "animals" won't bother you too much in your gated community, so don't worry, you can enjoy your caviar in peace.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:48 pm It'll be a nothing storm by the time it gets up there.

You didn't plan very well if you were out after the bread was gone. But you were probably out buying steak and lobster to eat at your gated community home, lolololol.
We eat very little bread and I already stated that we have tons of food. It's okay to notice entire aisles empty. But we were there for laundry detergent, lotion and some arts and crafts. Found plenty.

There are a number of gated communities here and it's fairly common for people in Wilmington to buy a home in one. We don't really panic over steak and lobster, though. We love it, but I wasn't wiping out the store of it. Weird to think of that.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

The idiots that dont already have supplies deserve to suffer. You would have to be an idiot to not already be prepared
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's how many people think. 'It won't hit us, it won't hit us, it won't... f**k.' Living in Tornado Alley for a few years taught me that anything is possible with the weather. I spent many a night sleeping in my tub with my dog and my cell phone in hand. Last winter, our boiler died during an extreme cold snap, so we had no heat or hot water for days, but we had space heaters. Shit happens, and you need to be ready to deal with it before it does.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:55 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:35 pm freaking out about supplies, generators and so on. Just like Florence last year and countless other hurricanes. It's part of coastal living. Snow is part of northern living, hurricanes are part of coastal living. Thing is, people don't remember that part until a hurricane is around the corner. You don't see people hauling generators out of Walmart in February in preparation of the hurricane season that shows up every year, but you definitely see them hauling out giant TVs with their taxes. The store literally has giant pallets of them during tax season because they know they'll sell, but not the generators that people complain they can't afford come September.

It only took 1 hurricane to show me that I needed to be more than prepared BEFORE hurricane season. Im ready even though Dorian isnt going to hit us.
You're absolutely correct about needing to be prepared ahead of time. We have some friends here who are from New England and they almost looked shell-shocked after Florence last year. They left and couldn't believe what they saw when they came back.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:05 pm The idiots that dont already have supplies deserve to suffer. You would have to be an idiot to not already be prepared

I will never understand why families who can afford it don't stay ready year round. It's stupid not to be ready.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm You have no way to know that the people buying tvs are the same who are asking for help because they can't buy a generator. I'm sure all of these "animals" won't bother you too much in your gated community, so don't worry, you can enjoy your caviar in peace.
Maybe when you get back from your next trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway, you can take another train along the east coast and donate whatever you find it in your heart to donate. 😁
Locked Previous topicNext topic