Renting issues... Im at a loss here.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Before anyone says it, I have called a few times but I have not received a call back.

We have been renting this property going on 5 years now. The rental property was not being managed by the owners, but by a management company representing the owners. Everything has been pretty smooth since we moved in, with no complaints from us or the management company. We have paid our rent on time and kept up with the house as expected. We have never interacted with the owners of the home, we just know their name that was listed on the lease.

Okay so a week ago I arrived home to see a piece of paper stuck to our door. It was from the ******olding LLC - the owners of the home. It said in big red letters *URGENT*, then went on to say that they no longer are with the management company and to make sure to make rent payments to them and *NOT* to the management group we have been dealing with. Just a month ago we had negotiated a new year's lease and had been waiting for them to send it in the mail once they printed it out. We thought it was odd that they never sent it and had called about it a couple times, and they had said they were in the process in drawing up new contracts ( and I forget everything they said) but they will get it to us soon. Basically they had a lot of clients to deal with and ours was coming soon. So receiving this "urgent" message on our door was not at all expected and flat out of the blue. We called the management group to confirm this was a legit business and they confirmed. They could not tell us anything else about our lease. We still have 2 months left on our current lease. Thursday we received a letter from the owners of the house and Im confused.

It says " Notice to tenant of change in management and accountability for security deposit". It goes on to say The LLCs name then "The person who is now responsible to account to you for the security deposit" Then it says that the amount of the security deposit is $1300. Now when we moved in here, we had to pay a security deposit of $1700 plus a pet deposit of $350. The letter does not state the pet deposit either. So are they saying we owe them $1300 more? Or are they saying they have our $1300 as a security deposit? Either way we have an issue. Especially if they are saying we only paid $1300, and no pet deposit. And well, if they are asking us to pay $1300 more for a deposit, they are out their damn minds! This house is okay but not at all worth paying that much for it.

Like I've said, I've called them and left a couple messages. I have not received a call back. Im hoping someone here can at least help me guess what this could mean. Maybe someone here is in the rental business or been through this before.. and possibly offer some explanations of what it might mean. Just to maybe ease some anxiety, maybe? Like should we just start packing our bags now or what?
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Bump
Anonymous 2

Unread post

You’ve been renting for 5 years?? So much wasted money.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:16 pm You’ve been renting for 5 years?? So much wasted money.
What an incredibly helpful piece of advice for dealing with the documents OP recently received.

Seems like we've had this discussion several times in the past few weeks. Are you the same person that keeps making this type of comment in the other posts involving a person who rents?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I hope you have all of your original documents?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:09 pm Before anyone says it, I have called a few times but I have not received a call back.

We have been renting this property going on 5 years now. The rental property was not being managed by the owners, but by a management company representing the owners. Everything has been pretty smooth since we moved in, with no complaints from us or the management company. We have paid our rent on time and kept up with the house as expected. We have never interacted with the owners of the home, we just know their name that was listed on the lease.

Okay so a week ago I arrived home to see a piece of paper stuck to our door. It was from the ******olding LLC - the owners of the home. It said in big red letters *URGENT*, then went on to say that they no longer are with the management company and to make sure to make rent payments to them and *NOT* to the management group we have been dealing with. Just a month ago we had negotiated a new year's lease and had been waiting for them to send it in the mail once they printed it out. We thought it was odd that they never sent it and had called about it a couple times, and they had said they were in the process in drawing up new contracts ( and I forget everything they said) but they will get it to us soon. Basically they had a lot of clients to deal with and ours was coming soon. So receiving this "urgent" message on our door was not at all expected and flat out of the blue. We called the management group to confirm this was a legit business and they confirmed. They could not tell us anything else about our lease. We still have 2 months left on our current lease. Thursday we received a letter from the owners of the house and Im confused.

It says " Notice to tenant of change in management and accountability for security deposit". It goes on to say The LLCs name then "The person who is now responsible to account to you for the security deposit" Then it says that the amount of the security deposit is $1300. Now when we moved in here, we had to pay a security deposit of $1700 plus a pet deposit of $350. The letter does not state the pet deposit either. So are they saying we owe them $1300 more? Or are they saying they have our $1300 as a security deposit? Either way we have an issue. Especially if they are saying we only paid $1300, and no pet deposit. And well, if they are asking us to pay $1300 more for a deposit, they are out their damn minds! This house is okay but not at all worth paying that much for it.

Like I've said, I've called them and left a couple messages. I have not received a call back. Im hoping someone here can at least help me guess what this could mean. Maybe someone here is in the rental business or been through this before.. and possibly offer some explanations of what it might mean. Just to maybe ease some anxiety, maybe? Like should we just start packing our bags now or what?
Did you get a receipt for the 1700 and a receipt for the 350 or do you have canceled checks that state this money is for security when you signed the original lease?
If so they are shit out of luck....a deals a deal.
However since the lease is expiring they can raise the rent to any amount they wish.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

lunarprancer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:14 pmBump
Thank you!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:19 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:16 pm You’ve been renting for 5 years?? So much wasted money.
What an incredibly helpful piece of advice for dealing with the documents OP recently received.

Seems like we've had this discussion several times in the past few weeks. Are you the same person that keeps making this type of comment in the other posts involving a person who rents?
I wonder if this is the same anon 2 that makes similar rude comments. Its like she spends her days waiting for new posts so she can strike at the right time to make her rude comments lol. Oh well, she gave me a free bump so, jokes on her :)
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:20 pm I hope you have all of your original documents?
Oh I do, as well as every other lease I signed with them. Im just hoping I don't have to pull them use them if they want to butt heads. What a mess.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

They are saying your deposit was $1300 not $1700 + $350.

If they don’t even know how much deposit you paid, I’d be concerned that this is a scam.
Locked Previous topicNext topic