Have you ever rehomed a pet?

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Rehoming a pet seems to be a hot button for people to condescend others for around here, but I know there are happy endings to be had in some cases. Obviously I'm not advocating for people treating pets as disposable. But sometimes its the best choice.

I rehomed a dog once. It was the best decision for everyone and she has 20 acres to run around on and chickens to chase so she's very happy, as is the vet that is her new owner. He specifically wanted one of her breed as his own dog of the same breed passed, and having her was comforting in that way.

Anyone else have a happy rehoming story?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes we had 3 dogs and one was just making life miserable for all of us. She would pick fights with the other 2 and was becoming a totally miserable grouch.
So when my in laws told us they were looking for a dog we offered her. It was a perfect match because they wanted a dog to take sailing and the water was her happy place. She already knew them and was happy to go home with them and be an only dog. We saw her several times after that and it was so much better for her. She went from a total grouch to a happy dog who couldn't get enough of life.
It was the best thing we could have done for her.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 pm Yes we had 3 dogs and one was just making life miserable for all of us. She would pick fights with the other 2 and was becoming a totally miserable grouch.
So when my in laws told us they were looking for a dog we offered her. It was a perfect match because they wanted a dog to take sailing and the water was her happy place. She already knew them and was happy to go home with them and be an only dog. We saw her several times after that and it was so much better for her. She went from a total grouch to a happy dog who couldn't get enough of life.
It was the best thing we could have done for her.

Love that the dog and your in laws were able to be good for each other.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I had to rehome a dog when I moved out of the country. It was not possible to bring her because her breed is banned. She lives with an amazing family and we still visit her when we can.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:43 pm I had to rehome a dog when I moved out of the country. It was not possible to bring her because her breed is banned. She lives with an amazing family and we still visit her when we can.

Did you know the family before you moved? That is so nice of them to let you see her still.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:44 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:43 pm I had to rehome a dog when I moved out of the country. It was not possible to bring her because her breed is banned. She lives with an amazing family and we still visit her when we can.

Did you know the family before you moved? That is so nice of them to let you see her still.
They were friends of friends. We kinda knew them but not too well. We are good friends now
Anonymous 3

Unread post

When I started divorce proceedings I had to temporarily live in an apartment. For some reason, my little dog who never had accidents in the house was having them all the time in this apartment. Though I hated to get rid of her, I could not allow her to destroy the carpeting. So, I gave her to a co-worker whose little boy had been pestering her for a little dog.

My little dog became his little dog. And she lived 10 more very happy years with him. :) And that little dog never had accidents once he adopted her.

But boy! It was a long drive from my apartment to his house the day I was to hand her over. :(
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes, a cat. We got her before we knew about my son’s allergies. My sister took her an she still lives a very happy life. This was 9 yrs ago.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:52 pm When I started divorce proceedings I had to temporarily live in an apartment. For some reason, my little dog who never had accidents in the house was having them all the time in this apartment. Though I hated to get rid of her, I could not allow her to destroy the carpeting. So, I gave her to a co-worker whose little boy had been pestering her for a little dog.

My little dog became his little dog. And she lived 10 more very happy years with him. :) And that little dog never had accidents once he adopted her.

But boy! It was a long drive from my apartment to his house the day I was to hand her over. :(

I'll bet that was hard to do! When I drove my pup to her new home, I let her sit in the front seat next to me so I could pet her the whole time instead of the back seat where she usually sat. Getting in the car to drive back home took a long time.

So sweet the little boy and your little dog sounds like they were a pair from the start.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I got my Springer Spaniel mix, Hunny, before I met DH in 98. So... Sometime In 97. In 2008, we had DS and around 2010, when DS was a grabby toddler, I asked my parents to keep Hunny until DS learned to be gentle and play nicely with her. Hunny was so cranky with him because she was sick and she passed soon after my parents took her in.

I fully intended to bring Hunny home, but it didn't work out. So, yes, I've rehomed a dog and it didn't end the way I expected it too. I was crushed that my dog was sick, but I was lucky enough to be there when the vet eased her passage over the rainbow bridge.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Locked Previous topicNext topic