Netspend a crock of shit

Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My minor child just got a prepaid Mastercard debit/credit card in the mail. None of us know why. I tried calling 1-866-387-7363 to find out and had to enter the card number or my child's SSN to get past the greeting. Did some Google Detective-ing and found out that this is their M.O. They randomly send out cards to people they think need one, force you to activate it before you can get any kind of customer service, and also nickle and dime you with fees once you put money on it.

Bottom line: If you get one of these, shred it and don't use it.

I even tried to call Experian to make sure my child's identity was stolen, and they "don't knowingly keep records on minors". What the hell happened to real people for customer service and not one F***ing phone tree after another??
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Not sure why anyone would be stupid enough to even try to use that
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My general rule of thumb is that if I didn't ask to be sent something or it's not from someone/a company I already use then it's generally assumed to be spam.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Deleted User 670

Unread post

American Express sent my kid a credit card application when she was little. I called them up and asked if they were in the habit of sending credit card application to children.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Netspend is just a pre paid card. You can refill when you want and even get direct deposit of your paycheck to them. My dd got hers at 14. At 14 the bank wouldn’t let her open her own checking account and she wanted a debit card.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

My dh was sent one of those cards. We shredded it. They get the info from using gmail & stuff.

You gotta remember, stuff like names & addresses are collected when we fill out forms for stuff like gmail,etc. Then its sold to another company who sends out ads, credit card applications, etc.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:25 am My dh was sent one of those cards. We shredded it. They get the info from using gmail & stuff.

You gotta remember, stuff like names & addresses are collected when we fill out forms for stuff like gmail,etc. Then its sold to another company who sends out ads, credit card applications, etc.
That makes a little more sense. We just got the older two phones a few months ago. The first thing we asked was if she knew anything about Netspend. Then asked if she recognized the logo or anything. She's not in the habit of lying, so Dad and I believe her when she says she doesn't know.

Since I posted we have destroyed the card. This is not uncommon for this company to randomly send people cards, unsolicited. It sent up red flags for us because it was our minor child, and it's the first time any of my kids have gotten crap like this in the mail.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My kids have Greenlight Visa debit cards. Very easy to use. $5 a month covers up to 4 cards and you just fund them directly from your bank account or your debit card.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I've gotten one of those too. I didn't order it so I just shredded it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic