Move in day success!!

mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

As a resident in a college town and university employee... the only good part about the first day of classes is all the parents are gone ;)
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My dd moved back yesterday and it was by far my easiest cause I wasn’t there. she Had most of her stuff moved into her house in June so she just had her shoes and the clothes she had from over the summer. I should of had her move off campus long ago.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

It's going to be a fun year for her! Wishing her the best!
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 pm
Midnight_Storm wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:23 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:36 pm
Yeah, there was no way in hell that I was going carry furniture up three flights. Loading the Uhaul and driving it to the apartment was the cheapest option. It would have cost close to a grand to hire a company to load at the house and drive her stuff 68 miles to the apartment and unload it. Doing it ourselves at the front end saved us a bunch. I drove there today to wait for the internet guy because they both had classes today and the cable company gave us a 5-hour window!! Turns out both girls were there when the guy came. I finished putting the UV film on the rest of the windows in the meantime and I finished up about the same time as the internet guy was done doing his stuff. Their apartment is coming together. The kid brought a ton of her artwork to hang up but she still has to do that.
I definitely wouldn’t have wanted to try to carry furniture up 3 flights of stairs. Boxes would have been bad enough and I’m thankful we didn’t have to even do that, lol. That’s crazy they wanted so much to do a load up and drive with it being 68 miles. That’s cool that she’s close enough if she needs you but still far enough to stand in her own.
They considered the move long distance not local. Yeah, it was one of the schools she looked at and liked but chose the closer one. Turns out that school is just too small. But now she has 3 years of college and semi-independence under her belt so she feels comfortable being an hour away from home. Living with her bestie will help too.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 pm As a resident in a college town and university employee... the only good part about the first day of classes is all the parents are gone ;)
Lol, I can imagine. I don’t know if it was just me, but I couldn’t help noticing some parents beyond hyper focused on move in to the extent that they were almost micromanaging. Dd had to sign her lease, get her keys, etc. Dh and I sat out in the waiting area, we were one of the few parents who didn’t go in with their kid. And I try not to judge but couldn’t help think it odd when one family came out of the office and the mom, in an almost seeking reassurance way, kept asking if they will call or text over insert list of things including to be informed if her kid loses his key or scans his card after 11pm to access the building. That kid looked so embarrassed. This housing is only for juniors and seniors, if it was freshman housing I would have been less surprised.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

msgme wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:46 pm My dd moved back yesterday and it was by far my easiest cause I wasn’t there. she Had most of her stuff moved into her house in June so she just had her shoes and the clothes she had from over the summer. I should of had her move off campus long ago.
That’s very cool:) Dd and her roommates last year considered doing off campus this year, but for them the cons outweighed the pros.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 pm Dd’s assigned move in was yesterday. Third year of doing this and I’ll say yesterday was by far the most organized and easy experience. She’s in private on campus housing this year. We didn’t even unload the car, just pulled up, they unloaded and took everything up to her room. She’s thrilled she was able to get in at this particular complex as it’s very close to her classes and she’ll have less of a hike when it snows.

Did anyone else have move in for their college kid this week?
That’s so cool!
Yes!
My grandson just went to his freshman year of college and they unloaded everything and took it to his room!awesome!
Good luck to your daughter!
Pretty exciting times!👍🏻😉
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am
Midnight_Storm wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 pm Dd’s assigned move in was yesterday. Third year of doing this and I’ll say yesterday was by far the most organized and easy experience. She’s in private on campus housing this year. We didn’t even unload the car, just pulled up, they unloaded and took everything up to her room. She’s thrilled she was able to get in at this particular complex as it’s very close to her classes and she’ll have less of a hike when it snows.

That’s so cool!
Yes!
My grandson just went to his freshman year of college and they unloaded everything and took it to his room!awesome!
Thank you:) She’s was approved to take max credit, so it’s going to be a stressful year, but at least she’s worked her schedule to give her study and some down time.

That’s awesome that your grandson’s move in went so well. How exciting for him. I hope he has a great freshman year!
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:12 am
Ledina60 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am

That’s so cool!
Yes!
Thank you:) She’s was approved to take max credit, so it’s going to be a stressful year, but at least she’s worked her schedule to give her study and some down time.

That’s awesome that your grandson’s move in went so well. How exciting for him. I hope he has a great freshman year!
Thank you!😊
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:09 am
mojogirl wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 pm As a resident in a college town and university employee... the only good part about the first day of classes is all the parents are gone ;)
Lol, I can imagine. I don’t know if it was just me, but I couldn’t help noticing some parents beyond hyper focused on move in to the extent that they were almost micromanaging. Dd had to sign her lease, get her keys, etc. Dh and I sat out in the waiting area, we were one of the few parents who didn’t go in with their kid. And I try not to judge but couldn’t help think it odd when one family came out of the office and the mom, in an almost seeking reassurance way, kept asking if they will call or text over insert list of things including to be informed if her kid loses his key or scans his card after 11pm to access the building. That kid looked so embarrassed. This housing is only for juniors and seniors, if it was freshman housing I would have been less surprised.
Seeing the parents buying their students first load of groceries at the grocery store is definitely the best part of the move-in process. Vegetables, juice, yogurt, healthy snacks... by week 2 of classes the students are back at the grocery store alone buying ramen in bulk and pork rinds.

But, yeah, a lot of parents are extreme micro-managers. And not just about move-in.
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:23 am
msgme wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:46 pm My dd moved back yesterday and it was by far my easiest cause I wasn’t there. she Had most of her stuff moved into her house in June so she just had her shoes and the clothes she had from over the summer. I should of had her move off campus long ago.
She kept thinking about it for a cpl years but one of her issues is she sucks as a roommate. After a day of classes and work she prefers quiet and to be by herself which is difficult in a small dorm. And she always had very peppy roommates. She didn’t want to end up hating roommates she would be stuck with. Then she discovered one of her friends had that same problems she was having and decided to look at off campus housing and found a great 2 bedroom house to rent. It’s right in the middle of campus and her job.
That’s very cool:) Dd and her roommates last year considered doing off campus this year, but for them the cons outweighed the pros.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Locked Previous topicNext topic