Hearing aids in a classroom

Deleted User 670

Unread post

I totally would. I can relate not wanting to be the center of attention. The teacher needs to do whatever makes the kid comfortable. If he doesn't want to stand in front of the class and answer questions, he shouldn't have to.
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Because it's medical information that his teacher needs to know. He has an IEP for where he sits in assemblies, what side of the classroom he can sit (so he can use his higher functioning ear), and what to do if his hearing aid acts up or needs batteries. Kids will notice it, whether I tell the teacher or not.
I don't know how old your kid is but he should be able to handle things on his own with the hearing aid. Teach him. Most kids are aware of what a hearing aid is so I can't imagine a big fuss comes when he wears it. Kid asks 'what's that' You son says 'a hearing aid to help me hear better.' Kids move on to color. Teach him how to change the battery( age appropriate of course). As far as the IEP we never found it necessary. If his hearing aid works why does he need a special assembly seat? As far as class when the teacher saw my son she moved him up front on her own accord. I mean if you want to make a big deal about it then do so. I'm just saying it is possible to go from grades K-12 without a class question and answer event, special teacher meetings, IEPs, etc.
It is not a "big deal" to just make the teacher aware of his needs. The teacher meeting has nothing to do with the hearing aid. Just because you didn't find an IEP necessary doesn't mean my child doesn't need it. I would think that you would know that not every hard of hearing person is exactly the same and has the same exact needs. If he doesn't sit toward the front on the right side of the auditorium, it is hard for him to hear. His hearing aid works, but it can act up if there is interference, lots of noise, etc. It isn't an automatic cure.
I’m surprised they did an IEP. If hearing is the only issue then a 504 is more appropriate. An IEP should deal more with learning and behavioral issues. Not necessarily a kid who wears a hearing aid. I’m guessing he can do all the same work and doesn’t need accommodations on work. Just needs to make sure he can make out what is being said.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't think there needs to be any lesson/presentation/Q and A session/to-do about it at all. Its just a hearing aid.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

At my son's school. They did what the teacher is doing but instead they did it when my son was not in the classroom and explained it to all the kids. I have to tell you my son feels the same way your does except it didn't stop the questions from the kids.

My son is legally blind in his right eye and is patched 4hrs a day. My son came up with his own thing and simply tells kids that ask that it isn't fun to talk about and would rather not. Kids have been super receptive and simply say okay and go about their day.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Shaken1976 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:32 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 pm

I don't know how old your kid is but he should be able to handle things on his own with the hearing aid. Teach him. Most kids are aware of what a hearing aid is so I can't imagine a big fuss comes when he wears it. Kid asks 'what's that' You son says 'a hearing aid to help me hear better.' Kids move on to color. Teach him how to change the battery( age appropriate of course). As far as the IEP we never found it necessary. If his hearing aid works why does he need a special assembly seat? As far as class when the teacher saw my son she moved him up front on her own accord. I mean if you want to make a big deal about it then do so. I'm just saying it is possible to go from grades K-12 without a class question and answer event, special teacher meetings, IEPs, etc.
It is not a "big deal" to just make the teacher aware of his needs. The teacher meeting has nothing to do with the hearing aid. Just because you didn't find an IEP necessary doesn't mean my child doesn't need it. I would think that you would know that not every hard of hearing person is exactly the same and has the same exact needs. If he doesn't sit toward the front on the right side of the auditorium, it is hard for him to hear. His hearing aid works, but it can act up if there is interference, lots of noise, etc. It isn't an automatic cure.
I’m surprised they did an IEP. If hearing is the only issue then a 504 is more appropriate. An IEP should deal more with learning and behavioral issues. Not necessarily a kid who wears a hearing aid. I’m guessing he can do all the same work and doesn’t need accommodations on work. Just needs to make sure he can make out what is being said.
Recently I've looked up the diagnoses required for an IEP because the school wanted to change ds from one to a 504. Hearing disability is a diagnosis for an IEP. The boy would have more protection under an iep. Also the school would receive funding for it. So it's the better option I would imagine. If he's entitled by the disability education act or whatever it's called why not?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This seems so weird to me. My DS has learning disabilities, fine motor issues & a permanent ocular strabismus. I could not imagine a teacher highlighting his differences. So I find it difficult to imagine.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:44 am This seems so weird to me. My DS has learning disabilities, fine motor issues & a permanent ocular strabismus. I could not imagine a teacher highlighting his differences. So I find it difficult to imagine.
To be fair the mother highlighted it first when she emailed the teacher.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

So he hates attention so you made sure to get ahold of the teacher so he could gets lots of extra attention. I'll say an extra prayer for this teacher, she's not going to have a good year.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:55 am So he hates attention so you made sure to get ahold of the teacher so he could gets lots of extra attention. I'll say an extra prayer for this teacher, she's not going to have a good year.
The kid has an IEP the teacher needed to be aware of it. As far as the teacher That doesnt mean the teacher needs to make a spectacle of the child
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I'm not sure why it's a discussion. It's the teachers classroom & since she runs the classroom, she can deal with it as she sees fit.
Locked Previous topicNext topic