Israel bars entry to outspoken U.S. Congresswomen Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, deputy foreign minister says

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh well. We all know he’s an idiot who can’t resist acting like a mean girl when he gets a chance 😂
I think he was played like a fiddle and like the moron he is, fell right for it.
ReadingRainbow wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 pm I’m not bothered by the fact that Israel said they aren’t allowed in... that’s fine.

I think it’s atrocious that an American president worked against members of the American Congress in the eyes of a foreign nation.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm Well... there is an uproar about this...
I gotta say, though, if a foreign politician actively promoted a boycott against America, had openly and constantly be critical of America, had been a supporter of groups that promote discord and hatred against America, wouldn’t you expect that person to not be granted entry to America? And how many countries have banned people from entering just on the basis that they represent values that are against that country’s? Didn’t Ireland, the UK and Australia ban Steven Anderson from entering their countries over his anti-gay views? I remember people cheering for that, so why is now Israel being condemned for not allowing in people that represent values that go against Israel? Values that hurt Israel? People who actively and constantly vilify Israel?

Ultimately, Israeli law says that no one who actively supports BDS is allowed in Israel. Are you saying that American politicians should be above the law? They chose a position, they chose to use that position for political purposes. That has consequences. They’re not above the consequences just because they’re American and politicians. They can now play victim all they want now (I’m sure that was the bottom line of the plan, anyway), when you go around openly, publicly and constantly vilifying people and badmouthing them, don’t go crying when they don’t want you in their home.

One thing I would say, though, against this decision: lousy timing. I’m sure it was a smart move by The Squad to suggest visiting Israel knowing that Trump would jump at the chance to “screw them over”. I think he took the bait, the idiot. And Netanyahu- who’s far from an idiot- was really left without another option. His country and his people come first. He had to do what was necessary for their safety. He had to abide by the law and not make exceptions for openly anti-Israel people just because they’re foreign representatives.
ReadingRainbow wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm WASHINGTON — At the urging of President Trump, Israel on Thursday took the extraordinary step of barring two Democratic U.S. congresswomen who have been outspoken critics of the president from visiting the country. -LA Times

What a traitor to his own country .

Can you imagine the uproar if any other presidents in History actively worked against US Congress members when it came to international relations... it’s shameful.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:04 pm Well, they support BDS, they shouldn’t be too surprised. I’m sure that any country would do the same to any person who openly displays discord and/or hostility towards that country.
And why would they want to go to Israel anyway? That’s completely against BDS ideology. Personally, I would welcome them with open arms. See how much they continue to badmouth Israel after actually being there and see firsthand its contributions to the world. Maybe they’ll learn that they’re not boycotting Israel as much as they think they are 😁
I think they wanted to go the the West Bank. And that’s not true about denying people admittance to a country because of criticism. Democratic countries don’t do that. A good amount of Israelis have the same criticisms anyway, especially younger citizens.

Trump was wrong as usual. And he gives no shits about Israel but his evangelical base does so that’s why he did it. Throw in the base’s prejudice against Muslims and you get two for one.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

While I wish that Trump had kept his gossiping yap shut on Twitter (and who knows where else?) about this as he once again has come across as a bored high school girl who just LOVES to stir the pot, I don't blame Israel for their decision and because no matter who put the bug in their ears, THEY made the decision they have.

I applaud them.

Both Omar and Tlaib are antisemite and racist in their own rights.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There’s a difference between criticism and actively supporting a group that harms the country.
Even in America, freedom of belief and freedom of speech doesn’t mean not facing consequences for one’s actions and words.
If someone kept badmouthing you, constantly vilified you (more often than not, with lies) told people to avoid you at all costs and suddenly that person knocked on your door and asked to be invited in, never having apologized to you, never having made amends for pushing people away from you, never even admitting that maybe you’re not the disgusting person they’ve been claiming you are. Would you say “but of course! Come right in and make yourself at home!” or would you slam the door in their face?
They have every right to express their views, as misguided as I believe they are. Even after Omar has found herself in a couple of pickles for making downright anti-Semitic remarks, I’ve respected that right and believe she shouldn’t lose her office over that. But don’t expect Israel to open its doors to someone who has actively expressed disdain for its people, who had expressed support for a movement that promotes hostility and harm towards Israel.
If there was an anti-America movement, actively encouraging people to boycott American made products somas to harm your economy, vilifying America, encouraging hatred and hostility towards America, wouldn’t you expect your government to protect you by not allowing entrance to people who actively support this movement and those ideas? How can we demand anything less from the Israeli government then? They have to think about their country and their people first.
But, as I said, I think it was an unfortunate lousy time. Although I think luck had nothing to do with it, I don’t know if it’s my major in International Relations buzzing in my. Rain, but I think this was a very good planned move to knock down 2 birds with one stone.
Lemons wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:05 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:04 pm Well, they support BDS, they shouldn’t be too surprised. I’m sure that any country would do the same to any person who openly displays discord and/or hostility towards that country.
And why would they want to go to Israel anyway? That’s completely against BDS ideology. Personally, I would welcome them with open arms. See how much they continue to badmouth Israel after actually being there and see firsthand its contributions to the world. Maybe they’ll learn that they’re not boycotting Israel as much as they think they are 😁
I think they wanted to go the the West Bank. And that’s not true about denying people admittance to a country because of criticism. Democratic countries don’t do that. A good amount of Israelis have the same criticisms anyway, especially younger citizens.

Trump was wrong as usual. And he gives no shits about Israel but his evangelical base does so that’s why he did it. Throw in the base’s prejudice against Muslims and you get two for one.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anyone who thinks Netanyahu made this decision because Trump said so, doesn’t know Bibi. He doesn’t give a crap if you like him, or if you like Israel or not. He will tell it to you like it is and and you’re free to clutch your indignation. His lectures at the U.N are legendary for their bluntness and for basically telling pretty much everyone there “shame on you for your prejudice”. He probably had already decided when rumors started flying about a possible visit. Rumors, which I’m sure the Squad themselves started floating around. If anyone was played like a fiddle, it was Trump. I don’t think these women had any intention of visiting Israel, Omar herself at least, directly expressed a total lack of interest in visiting Israel less than a year ago and said she would be going to the West Bank instead to support the BDS movement.

And look what happened today! Israel allowed her to go to the West Bank for humanitarian reason and now she’s throwing her tantrum, saying she won’t be going because Israel’s condition is that she doesn’t go around expressing her support for BDS in THEIR country!! So I guess visiting granny was just an excuse to make herself a victim of evil Israel and managed to throw Trump into the fight (well, the idiot fell for the bait, lol)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/after-isr ... not-going/

As the Twitter from the defense minister, who granted her request to visit her grandmother said “Apparently [her request] was a provocation to make Israel look bad. Her hatred for Israel is greater than her love for her grandmother.”

But I’m sure she did manage to win a few more people to join her in this hatred now.
AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 am While I wish that Trump had kept his gossiping yap shut on Twitter (and who knows where else?) about this as he once again has come across as a bored high school girl who just LOVES to stir the pot, I don't blame Israel for their decision and because no matter who put the bug in their ears, THEY made the decision they have.

I applaud them.

Both Omar and Tlaib are antisemite and racist in their own rights.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How lovely.

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So I guess that makes Israelis evil? Because I can show you plenty of anti-Semitic examples from American kids. Most of them Christian. In fact, the rise of antisemitismos in America has reached worrisome levels and wasn’t the synagogue shooter a Christian? Can I judge all Christians and Americans based on this one man?

And have you seen what Palestinian kids watch on TV?

And their textbooks:

And unlike antisemitism in America and that lone drunken kid, this is STATE APPROVED.

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 am How lovely.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:53 am So I guess that makes Israelis evil? Because I can show you plenty of anti-Semitic examples from American kids. Most of them Christian. In fact, the rise of antisemitismos in America has reached worrisome levels and wasn’t the synagogue shooter a Christian? Can I judge all Christians and Americans based on this one man?

And have you seen what Palestinian kids watch on TV?

And their textbooks:

And unlike antisemitism in America and that lone drunken kid, this is STATE APPROVED.

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 am How lovely.
No.

I can't stand the Christian belief systems that annihilate Israel for Jesus' return. Or that bullshit about rebuilding the temple. I don't want to hurt Israelis.

Israeli children are taught what? Anything different? You think they aren't being taught to hate Arabs?

I'm half Syrian. I want our people to get along. We are cousins regardless of the crap propaganda spewed by both sides.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Trump's claims that they "hate all Jews and Israelis" is one more of his fantasies. None of them has actually said that. Nor are most claims made here true. Tlaib was going to visit a relative. She did not claim any of the crap you accept that is just more Trump BS. Not to mention that enlisting the aid of a foreign government to disparage and effect an elected member of our Congress is illegal. And since when did Israel become Trump's lapdog? They were going to allow it until Trump pushed them to keep her out.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

So now that it's a personal visit to see family, the government isn't paying for it and she's not going. Is that right?
Locked Previous topicNext topic