The soda habit

Anonymous 5

Unread post

I'm wondering if it's dawning on her that this equates to about 12 teaspoons of sugar in one can of Coke.

And if it's Pepsi that they're drinking, there's even more in that!
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:37 am OP, you need to just start reading labels. Educate yourself. Look at these. The 100% juice apple juice has 28g sugar per 8oz juice. The Coca Cola has 43g sugar per 12oz can. If you do the math to compare, 12oz of apple juice has 42g sugar. Essentially the same as the soda.

Even Sweet Tea (this image is Gold Peak Sweet Tea) has 32g per 12oz of tea. Better but not by a lot.

I mentioned Hawaiian Punch in an earlier response. It has 17g sugar per 8oz which calculates to 25.5g per 12oz. It's still sugar but we are getting better than all the above stuff.

You asked what they can drink besides water? Do they like tea at all? I've gone to unsweetened tea which has no sugar at all. If they don't have a taste for that, Gold Peak makes a Slighly Sweet Tea which has half the sugar of their sweet tea. It is 16g sugar per 12oz so not too bad. And when they get used to that maybe they'll then be fine with trying the Unsweetened Tea. Someone else gave you other suggestions as well. There are things out there to try, you just have to look. Read the labels. That's what they are there for.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm I'm wondering if it's dawning on her that this equates to about 12 teaspoons of sugar in one can of Coke.

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:37 am OP, you need to just start reading labels. Educate yourself. Look at these. The 100% juice apple juice has 28g sugar per 8oz juice. The Coca Cola has 43g sugar per 12oz can. If you do the math to compare, 12oz of apple juice has 42g sugar. Essentially the same as the soda.

Even Sweet Tea (this image is Gold Peak Sweet Tea) has 32g per 12oz of tea. Better but not by a lot.

I mentioned Hawaiian Punch in an earlier response. It has 17g sugar per 8oz which calculates to 25.5g per 12oz. It's still sugar but we are getting better than all the above stuff.

You asked what they can drink besides water? Do they like tea at all? I've gone to unsweetened tea which has no sugar at all. If they don't have a taste for that, Gold Peak makes a Slighly Sweet Tea which has half the sugar of their sweet tea. It is 16g sugar per 12oz so not too bad. And when they get used to that maybe they'll then be fine with trying the Unsweetened Tea. Someone else gave you other suggestions as well. There are things out there to try, you just have to look. Read the labels. That's what they are there for.
That is definitely starting to dawn on me, lol.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

:) Just cutting soda out will help to stop the weight gain. Good luck!
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:20 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm I'm wondering if it's dawning on her that this equates to about 12 teaspoons of sugar in one can of Coke.

That is definitely starting to dawn on me, lol.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Ewwww
I am glad I switched to tap water!!!

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Good for you! Water is the best. None of us need all that sugar!
Ledina60 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:38 pm Ewwww
I am glad I switched to tap water!!!

That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We don't keep it in the house anymore because we hardly ever drink it. When my son has friends over, he might pick up a few cans for them to drink. He quit drinking pop 2 years ago when he was losing weight. He drinks those flavored carbonated waters instead. Occasionally, if I am really craving a pop, I will just go to the gas station and grab one but I hardly ever drink it. I used to drink it every day. Pop is empty calories.
Locked Previous topicNext topic