Im not sure why this bothers her

QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have a work associate who was and always has been a single mom. Never married. Her son is in his mid 20s and recently got married. He and his wife decided to change both of their last names. As in they sat down together and came up with a brand new name. So why is mom so upset? It cant be because of the family line thing because she has brothers who have sons that have already done that. Nevermind to think thats a dumbass reason anyway...But this woman is seriously offended by this and is threatening to cut off her only son unless the couple changes their name back to her name. Is this stupid or am I missing something
Anonymous 1

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:26 pm I have a work associate who was and always has been a single mom. Never married. Her son is in his mid 20s and recently got married. He and his wife decided to change both of their last names. As in they sat down together and came up with a brand new name. So why is mom so upset? It cant be because of the family line thing because she has brothers who have sons that have already done that. Nevermind to think thats a dumbass reason anyway...But this woman is seriously offended by this and is threatening to cut off her only son unless the couple changes their name back to her name. Is this stupid or am I missing something
Between this crazy woman and your screwed up family, you must live a drama filled life, hehe
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:34 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:26 pm I have a work associate who was and always has been a single mom. Never married. Her son is in his mid 20s and recently got married. He and his wife decided to change both of their last names. As in they sat down together and came up with a brand new name. So why is mom so upset? It cant be because of the family line thing because she has brothers who have sons that have already done that. Nevermind to think thats a dumbass reason anyway...But this woman is seriously offended by this and is threatening to cut off her only son unless the couple changes their name back to her name. Is this stupid or am I missing something
Between this crazy woman and your screwed up family, you must live a drama filled life, hehe
This was break room conversation and I definitely dont have a drama filled life
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Even though she never married she was probably expecting her last name would carry one through her son. It's not unreasonable to be a little thrown off by that. Her feelings are valid, doesn't mean son will change his mind. I think to cut him off is a bit rash, but this seems like the norm theses days- do any little thing and cut people off.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's stupid. If she feels a bit slighted by it, that's her feelings and she's entitled to that.
But to be mad at her son and threaten to cut them out? Stupid. Nothing but stupid.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

She's allowed to feel however way she feels about it and owes no one an explanation for how she feels.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think it is a stupid reason to cut a child out of your life. It’s not a stupid reason to be upset.
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

She has a valid reason to be upset but not a valid reason to cut her child off. However that seems to be what people do so there is that.
My husband is the last of the line and we have two girls. The older of the two has already said she plans to use our last name for her kids. DH and the in-laws are happy that the line will continue. I am not attached to the name so I don't care lol.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

You seem to have many issues with people you know
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm Even though she never married she was probably expecting her last name would carry one through her son. It's not unreasonable to be a little thrown off by that. Her feelings are valid, doesn't mean son will change his mind. I think to cut him off is a bit rash, but this seems like the norm theses days- do any little thing and cut people off.
This exactly.

She'll get over it.
If I raised my boys under my maiden name I'd also be hurt if they decided to change it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic