Teenagers. Ughhh

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 am Wouldn't you be writing checks anyway? Why not let her do it. That back to school shit gets old once they're in high school.
Do most people still write checks? When I went with my Freshman I paid all his fees with a credit card. I didn't even have my checkbook on me. So yeah, I had to be there to sign for my credit card. Plus at ours they checked residency, which means they checked my drivers' license and part of that is matching the picture to the person standing in front of them. Very hard to just let the kid do it.

And OP said at her's, half the stuff is geared towards parents so yeah, sometimes it's not about letting the child be independent. Sometimes it's about the fact that the parent still just has to be there.

In another week there is a meeting for swim team that my Freshman is on. It is MANDATORY for parents to attend. Sometimes even in High School parents have to be involved whether they want to or not.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 am I'd just let her do it. It's a step toward independence and shows trust. If she is normally a good kid, I'd say she earns the privilege to get to do those types of things by herself if she wants.
Half of the stuff at prep day is geared towards parents.
Nothing you mentioned sounds geared towards parents. Cut the cord, if you can't trust your daughter to take $200 and give it to the right people at the school then you've failed at parenting.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 am Wouldn't you be writing checks anyway? Why not let her do it. That back to school shit gets old once they're in high school.
Do most people still write checks? When I went with my Freshman I paid all his fees with a credit card. I didn't even have my checkbook on me. So yeah, I had to be there to sign for my credit card. Plus at ours they checked residency, which means they checked my drivers' license and part of that is matching the picture to the person standing in front of them. Very hard to just let the kid do it.

And OP said at her's, half the stuff is geared towards parents so yeah, sometimes it's not about letting the child be independent. Sometimes it's about the fact that the parent still just has to be there.

In another week there is a meeting for swim team that my Freshman is on. It is MANDATORY for parents to attend. Sometimes even in High School parents have to be involved whether they want to or not.

We still write checks, though not as many. I pay the lawn dude by check weekly. I pay the plumber or any technician that comes to the house with a check.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 pm

We still write checks, though not as many. I pay the lawn dude by check weekly. I pay the plumber or any technician that comes to the house with a check.
I was asking specifically about school fees. We pay almost every service person who comes to the house with a check. But at school it just makes sense to pay with a card.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 pm

I was asking specifically about school fees. We pay almost every service person who comes to the house with a check. But at school it just makes sense to pay with a card.
I paid school fees with a check as well.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 am I'd just let her do it. It's a step toward independence and shows trust. If she is normally a good kid, I'd say she earns the privilege to get to do those types of things by herself if she wants.
Nothing you mentioned sounds geared towards parents. Cut the cord, if you can't trust your daughter to take $200 and give it to the right people at the school then you've failed at parenting.
Dramatic much?

She didn't fail at parenting. She wants to be there to know what's going on. That's not a bad thing. That's called being an involved parent. And I paid my son's school fees with a credit card. Can't really do that without being there.
This isn't about trust or failure. It's about handling parenting stuff as the parent, not passing it off onto your kid.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's a great book!!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Dramatic much?

She didn't fail at parenting. She wants to be there to know what's going on. That's not a bad thing. That's called being an involved parent. And I paid my son's school fees with a credit card. Can't really do that without being there.
This isn't about trust or failure. It's about handling parenting stuff as the parent, not passing it off onto your kid.
To me that's what high school is about. It's now your kids life. Start giving him the responsibility. But I'm coming from a different perspective. I'm tired of being my son's personal secretary. Worrying about what he has to do for scouting or school. Bleck. He's 16 time for him to do it. The girl can tell her mother what is going on. Unless she's that unreliable- some kids are- I'd let her do it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 pm
Dramatic much?

To me that's what high school is about. It's now your kids life. Start giving him the responsibility. But I'm coming from a different perspective. I'm tired of being my son's personal secretary. Worrying about what he has to do for scouting or school. Bleck. He's 16 time for him to do it. The girl can tell her mother what is going on. Unless she's that unreliable- some kids are- I'd let her do it.
If we're talking about Jrs, Srs, absolutely. Sophomores, probably. Freshman, no. And OP hasn't said how old her daughter is, so I'm going off my own very recent experience with my own Freshman and our day where we did all of this, they wanted the parents there. And there was some things, like proving residency, paying fees, and even asking questions and getting answers, not to mention signing and handing back in right away all the forms, that I pretty much needed to be there. This is my first kid going to high school. It's BRAND NEW for BOTH of us. I want to know what is going on.

And trust me, I am far from a helicopter parent. But signing forms and paying fees is a PARENT'S duty. Not the child's.

Talk to me in a couple years when my oldest is a Jr and my youngest is a Freshman, I'll tell you that I am attending this event again with my Freshman and that my Jr is on his own to handle all his stuff.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’d go with her.
Locked Previous topicNext topic